Dragonlance DRAGONLANCE LIVES! Unearthed Arcana Explores Heroes of Krynn!

The latest Unearthed Arcana has arrived and the 6-page document contains rules for kender, lunar magic, Knights of Solamnia, and Mages of High Sorcery. In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore character options from the Dragonlance setting. This playtest document presents the kender race, the Lunar Magic sorcerer subclass, the Knight of Solamnia and Mage of High Sorcery backgrounds, and a...

The latest Unearthed Arcana has arrived and the 6-page document contains rules for kender, lunar magic, Knights of Solamnia, and Mages of High Sorcery.

Dragonlance.jpg

In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore character options from the Dragonlance setting. This playtest document presents the kender race, the Lunar Magic sorcerer subclass, the Knight of Solamnia and Mage of High Sorcery backgrounds, and a collection of new feats, all for use in Dungeons & Dragons.

Kender have a (surprisingly magical) ability to pull things out of a bag, and a supernatural taunt feature. This magical ability appears to replace the older 'kleptomania' description -- "Unknown to most mortals, a magical phenomenon surrounds a kender. Spurred by their curiosity and love for trinkets, curios, and keepsakes, a kender’s pouches or pockets will be magically filled with these objects. No one knows where these objects come from, not even the kender. This has led many kender to be mislabeled as thieves when they fish these items out of their pockets."

Lunar Magic is a sorcerer subclass which draws power from the moon(s); there are notes for using it in Eberron.

Also included are feats such as Adepts of the Black, White, and Red Robes, and Knights of the Sword, Rose, and Crown.

Literally changes their very identity. Why even make it connected to the Feywild instead of a mild god curse like in the old lore?
I have no issue with that. I read the original trilogy and that is it and I don’t recall anything in there that wouldn’t allow a good rebranding. I just think the concept is intereting. I don’t care about old lore.

Last edited:

It’s been many years, I think they’re due for a come back.
Yeah. I see the value I just was hoping we would get more abilities like swapping out subclass features rather than just baking things into feats. Like “you can be a fighter champion, but if you are an Order of the Crown champion fighter swap out the 3rd level crit expansion for THIS rad thing instead”

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Not a huge fan of keeping Kender’s ability to have random items in their pockets but making it magical. Then again, I’m not a huge fan of Kender in the first place, so whatever, not a huge deal.

Love the moon sorcerer. I just wish it had half and gibbous moon phases too.

Those backgrounds have a lot more heft to them than other backgrounds; in particular, getting a free Feat makes them way stronger than any existing background. Also interesting, because Feats are ostensibly an optional rule, but these backgrounds give no alternative if the optional rule isn’t being used. It’s possible this is yet more testing of the waters for 50th anniversary changes. Maybe Feats will be a default rule in the 2024 rules revision, and every background will grant one. I also really like the background-specific trinkets. If this is foreshadowing potential changes to base backgrounds, I hope every background gets a small trinket table like these.

Feat chains for the first time. I don’t mind it, honestly. I didn’t read all the feats super carefully because they’re so Dragonlance-specific and I have no plans to run a game set in Dragonlance.

Remove ads

Remove ads