• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance Dragonlance "Reimagined".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because Spider-man’s origin is told in the comics.

By the by, Garfield’s origin is more along the line of the Ultimate Spider-man origin and opposed to true normal Amazing Spider-man origin.

Though Ultimate Spidy had organic web shooters…. Like Tobeys.
Yeah, I read (sometimes) spiderman comics so I actually knew that.

pemerton

Legend
at no point were the Numernoreins (spelling?) all good. you can have bad people grey people and normal people on Numenor.
Huh?

In JRRT's work, the Valar destroy all of Numenor by way of a great flood, a punishment inflicted for the sin of pride, manifested in the defiance of the Ban by sailing west. Only a small number of Numenorians - "the Faithful" - are spared.

I have never heard it argued that this makes LotR unreadable, or Middle Earth unplayable, or the Valar, and Eru to whom they answer, evil.

The tropes and traditions upon which JRRT is drawing are extremely obvious.

is anyone in ANY thread, let alone this one pushing for pacifist anti militarist knights?!?!
Only because no anti-militarist pacifist has dropped into the thread with the goal of running that particular critique. Perhaps because they are following the board rules.

There's a trope and tradition that inspires the idea of the knights also, with their Oath and their Measure. One articulation of it is found in this work, by St Bernard of Clairvaux: Bernard, In Praise of the New Knighthood

The idea of the knights as an order instituted by the gods of Good is no more (or less) morally defensible than the idea of the Cataclysm as collective punishment for the sin of pride. It can't be reconciled with a modern, liberal, humanist ethic.

pemerton

Legend
stories that don't adhere to modern morality are fine... but don't use out of game out of story words like 'good' then
First - not all contemporary humans adhere to what you call "modern morality". What counts as good is contested.

Second - D&D has been doing what you say shouldn't be done for many decades now. For instance, D&D treats lethal violence in an utterly casual manner not reconcilable with any of the moral theories taught in mainstream contemporary US philosophy departments.

pemerton

Legend
Let's talk about the character people are really talking about when they want Murder Bats, noted supervillain, Frank 'The Punisher' Castle.

Even at his worst, as Heaven's Arsenal where he was straight up mercing jaywalkers, he wouldn't huck a grenade into a crowd of innocents to kill that dirty jaywalker.
Tales like the Cataclysm, and the fall of Numenor, and some similar real-world traditions, are concerned with collective punishment, not "collateral damage".

pemerton

Legend
You keep approaching this from the perspective they COULD do something more than they did. There's a post of mine about a half dozen posts ago that provides the possibility they couldn't do anything for one reason or another.
I had a lecturer in university whose solution to the problem of evil was to argue that we live in the best of all possible worlds.

It's outside board rules to consider whether he was wrong or right. But it seems foolish to me to pretend that these sorts of views, and other views like the idea of "mystery", haven't existed and don't still exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads