Dragonlance Dragons of Fate Dragonlance Novel Cover Revealed

The cover and description of Dragons of Fate, Margaret Weis' and Tracy Hickman's second novel in the new Dragonlance novel trilogy have been revealed on Amazon, with a release date of August 1, 2023. A courageous heroine trapped in the distant past is determined to return to her own time--without changing the shape of the world forever--as the New York Times bestselling Dragonlance series...

2E4297CA-0EDA-458B-B5DC-4EC88613CA7B.jpeg

The cover and description of Dragons of Fate, Margaret Weis' and Tracy Hickman's second novel in the new Dragonlance novel trilogy have been revealed on Amazon, with a release date of August 1, 2023.

A courageous heroine trapped in the distant past is determined to return to her own time--without changing the shape of the world forever--as the New York Times bestselling Dragonlance series continues in the thrilling sequel to Dragons of Deceit.

A clash of powerful magical forces sets off the Graygem of Gargath, sending Destina and her companions deeper into the past than she intended--to the age of Huma Dragonsbane and the Third Dragon War. Now, after the Device of Time Journeying shatters, they must find another way back to their own era, before the Graygem alters history irrevocably and the Third Dragon War ends in defeat for the forces of good.

With the battle raging on, Destina tries desperately to make amends and prevent disaster. Raistlin and Sturm encounter their heroes, Huma and Magius, and must reconcile the myths with the men. Meanwhile, Tasslehoff--shocked that the Knights of Solamnia have never heard of dragonlances--sets out to find the famed weapons.

But as the forces of the Dark Queen close in on the High Clerist's Tower, Destina's party must return to their own timeline together--or not at all.

The first book in the trilogy, Dragons of Deceit, came out earlier this year.

CasvalRemDeikun

Adventurer
Hmm...wonder if we'll find out that Destina was that woman...
Oh wow. That would be quite the plot twist calling back to a book from almost 40 years ago. I would be all for it.
Regardless, it was established in the core trilogy of the setting that women can be Knights of Solamnia and have had the ability for nearly 1400 years at this point. Laurana couldn't become a Solamnic Knight because she wasn't from Solamnia or any of its holdings, something that was, explicitly, not allowed until Gunthar uth Wistan modernized the Measure after the War of the Lance.

Dire Bare

Legend
If Sturm is alive it can’t really be after the war (certainly that part cannot, timetravel aside)
I'm forgetting the details, but . . . there are two time-travel jumps. One to the Inn of the Last Home just before the companions embark on their War of the Lance adventures, then a second jump with Sturm and Raistlin to the days of Huma and Magius.

Dire Bare

Legend
I know what the previous novels said, I know what the previous rules said. This is not my first DragonLance rodeo, ok?

I also know what Dragons of Deceit, published in August, 2022 said. And in the novel, Destina laments that she cannot be a Knight of Solamnia, as women can't become one. That was my point.

With respect to the logo, the use of the "Classic Dragonlance" logo (by adding the term classic) appears to be an express term of the settlement and is explicitly referenced in the press release from the authors. The DL logo has changed and now the word "classic" expressly appears at the top. The terms of the deal was a license to the authors to publish novels under the "Classic Dragonlance" brand. That's in the press release.

The nature of the claim launched by Hickman and Weis complains that WotC made editorial requests and changes to the novels to update them to modern sensibilities. Those allegations appear in the claim of the authors, discussions of which were previously posted on ENworld here.
The more I think about it . . . and I'm sure I'm forgetting details . . . Destina's arc begins towards the beginnings of the War of the Lance. She laments not being able to be a knight before the war gets rolling. Her father dies at the High Clerist's Tower along with Sturm. Years pass, the war is over, and then she begins her quest to change time and save her father. By that time, perhaps she would have been allowed in the knighthood, but her focus was now in a different place.

But still, the knights during the War of the Lance may have changed their stance, but when the necessities of war are over, folks tend to revert back to tradition . . . I imagine that while women may technically be allowed to be knights post-war, it's probably not easy or encouraged.

ECMO3

Hero
You are correct! This is so much easier with Kindle...

p. 84:

"I'm certain that, according to the Measure, women are not permitted in the Knighthood--"
"You are wrong," Astinus stated flatly. "And there is precedent. In the Third Dragonwar, a young woman was accepted into the Knigthood following the deaths of her father and her brothers. She rose to Knight of the Sword and died honorably in battle, mourned by her brethren."

So, at least as of 1st-ed, it was possible. Realistic? Well, maybe, maybe not, but then neither are dragons or dragonlances. ;)

This is irrelevant to the discussion. It is a different book with different lore and different cannon.

This is like saying that Gully Dwarves exist because they are in Dragons of Spring Dawning when Dragons of Deceit goes through all the Dwarf subraces and they are not included.

It is possible that Destina is in fact the woman Astinus refered to and this will come to pass in later books as time is changed, but it is not the case in DOD following the War of the Lance on the timeline Destina is following in that book. It could be an alternate reality or something from a different book.

Guess what else you will find - you will find stuff from Dragons of Autum Twilight that are not the same in this book. There is an actual explicit scene from that book that does not happen the same way in this book. The book has a setting on the same date, same time, same place, same location, same characters (mostly) and the characters do different things and different things happen.

Strum Brightblade is also alive after the War of the Lance for some of the book, even though he died during the War of the Lance. He is dead for some of the book, but at one point he is no longer dead and when that happens it is several years after the War of the Lance. Note I am losing the term "when" loosely as time travel is a thing but he is specifically noted as being alive at a period of time that is after the War of the Lance..

Bottom Line: In Dragons of Deceit, there are no women allowed in the Knights of Solamnia following the war of the Lance, it states this explicitly in the book, it also says in the book that it is in the measure and it is a central plot element. Period!

Last edited:

I know what the previous novels said, I know what the previous rules said. This is not my first DragonLance rodeo, ok?

I also know what Dragons of Deceit, published in August, 2022 said. And in the novel, Destina laments that she cannot be a Knight of Solamnia, as women can't become one. That was my point.

With respect to the logo, the use of the "Classic Dragonlance" logo (by adding the term classic) appears to be an express term of the settlement and is explicitly referenced in the press release from the authors. The DL logo has changed and now the word "classic" expressly appears at the top. The terms of the deal was a license to the authors to publish novels under the "Classic Dragonlance" brand. That's in the press release.

The nature of the claim launched by Hickman and Weis complains that WotC made editorial requests and changes to the novels to update them to modern sensibilities. Those allegations appear in the claim of the authors, discussions of which were previously posted on ENworld here.
Destina believed that because the same thinking that led to a knight objecting to Laurana leading them told her it wasn't possible. Characters believed incorrectly plain and simple, this was keeping consistent with the previous material where characters believed an incorrect interpretation of the Measure which Astinus disputed with the story of a woman who had become a knight. Destina's father died during the war, so it's not like she had communication with the knighthood to learn anything further. As @Dire Bare said, her focus was on something else by that point in the story.

Yep, I'm well aware they had to make changes at WotC's request. I can make an educated guess at what at least 2 of the storyline edits were that WotC would have likely asked for. This was in the original agreement and was one of the causes for them filing a lawsuit when WotC refused to review any further revisions, but also did not give them approval to publish the book as per the terms of their original license agreement. So basically you're speculating on what the lawsuit settlement actually was because they dropped the case which basically means nothing they agreed to is public record and it'll likely be years if ever that we find out what the actual agreement was. I'm aware of what the press releases said, but none of them said "as a result, we've decided to call our new books Classic Dragonlance". Perhaps someday Ben Riggs will write a book and we'll know everything.

Last edited:

This is irrelevant to the discussion. It is a different book with different lore and different cannon.

This is like saying that Gully Dwarves exist because they are in Dragons of Spring Dawning when Dragons of Deceit goes through all the Dwarf subraces and they are not included.

It is possible that Destina is in fact the woman Astinus refered to and this will come to pass in later books as time is changed, but it is not the case in DOD following the War of the Lance on the timeline Destina is following in that book. It could be an alternate reality or something from a different book.

Guess what else you will find - you will find stuff from Dragons of Autum Twilight that are not the same in this book. There is an actual explicit scene from that book that does not happen the same way in this book. The book has a setting on the same date, same time, same place, same location, same characters (mostly) and the characters do different things and different things happen.

Strum Brightblade is also alive after the War of the Lance for some of the book, even though he died during the War of the Lance. He is dead for some of the book, but at one point he is no longer dead and when that happens it is several years after the War of the Lance. Note I am losing the term "when" loosely as time travel is a thing but he is specifically noted as being alive at a period of time that is after the War of the Lance..

Bottom Line: In Dragons of Deceit, there are no women allowed in the Knights of Solamnia following the war of the Lance, it states this explicitly in the book, it also says in the book that it is in the measure and it is a central plot element. Period!
Uh.. no? Did you actually read the book because it clearly explains why Sturm was alive and alternate canon wasn't it. lol

Tracy Hickman referred to the original novels as "Classic Dragonlance" the same as the new trilogy in the press release. If anything, SotDQ (as well as anything further WotC may publish) is an alternate canon.

Hmm...wonder if we'll find out that Destina was that woman...
I couldn't find the note while quickly looking, but I'm fairly certain the Annotated Chronicles had a note mentioning that the story of that woman was interesting and possibly hinted we may someday hear it.

Since Dragons of Deceit sends Destina to the Third Dragonwar era, it's 100% possible that is their plan.

Remove ads

Remove ads