Drawing a weapon while tumbling.

Dross

Explorer
I have a Q about whether you can draw a weapon while tumbling. As a DM i have said "No" but am wondering whether that is supported by the rule or if it just comes down to my personal preference/house rule.

Would it make a differnce if (assuming all other requirements are met):
1: A one handed weapon is drawn,
2: 2 one handed weapons are drawn,
3: a two handed weapon is drawn.

and while this might end up as a house rule debate, how would you adjudicate it and why? I had thought that a +2-+4 modifier to the DC roll could cover it.

Dross

You may draw a weapon as a free action during a move if you have a BAB of +1 or better. You may draw two light or one-handed weapons in the above circumstances of you have the Two-Weapon Fighting feat.

You may tumble as part of a normal move.

Thus, you may draw a weapon as a free action while tumbling if you have a BAB of +1 or better. You may draw two light or one-handed weapons in the above circumstances of you have the Two-Weapon Fighting feat.

There's no penalty to the Tumble check, in my book.

dcollins

Explorer
My reading is "yes", you can do that. You tumble "as part of normal movement". You can draw weapon, if you have a BAB of +1 or more, "with a regular move". Same kind of movement, no rule that says one excludes the other during that movement.

Nothing in the rules makes any distinction between type of weapon being drawn, although you need the Two-Weapon Fighting feat to draw two weapons like this (see note to Table 8-4: Miscellaneous Actions").

Taloras

First Post
Draw or Sheathe a Weapon
Drawing a weapon so that you can use it in combat, or putting
away so that you have a free hand, requires a move action. This
action also applies to weapon-like objects carried in easy reach, such
as wands. If your weapon or weapon-like object is stored in a pack
otherwise out of easy reach, treat this action as retrieving a stored
item.
If you have a base attack bonus of +1 or higher, you may draw
weapon as a free action combined with a regular move
. If you have
the Two-Weapon Fighting feat (page 102), you can draw two light
one-handed weapons in the time it would normally take you to draw
one.
Drawing ammunition for use with a ranged weapon (such
arrows, bolts, sling bullets, or shuriken) is a free action.

Note that it says with a regular move. Is Tumbling a regular move?

Also, i didnt notice until now that you can only tumble at half speed(or full speed with a -10 penalty).

Dross

Explorer
Taloras said:
Draw or Sheathe a Weapon
If you have a base attack bonus of +1 or higher, you may draw
weapon as a free action combined with a regular move
. If you have
the Two-Weapon Fighting feat (page 102), you can draw two light
one-handed weapons in the time it would normally take you to draw
one.

Yeah, it's that "regular move" phrase that made me say "No" and tumbling is a trained only skill. In my mind I draw parallels with not having the mode of movement in the speed field as not being regular movement.

Actually on that line, would you allow the free action drawing of weapon during movement from swimming, or flying (if you had that type of movement)?

And finally (at least in this post) does the 2 handed weapon require different handling than the one handed weapon?

Dross

A regular move is "using a move action to traverse some distance," as distinct from "using a move action to stand up" or "using a move action to draw a weapon," etc.

On to your other questions:

During swimming or flying? Yes.

2 handed? No special rules for that one, so it works the same.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
A regular move is "using a move action to traverse some distance," as distinct from "using a move action to stand up" or "using a move action to draw a weapon," etc.

Hmm... so you'd include crawling? Move action to travel five feet, provoking AoOs from opponents who threaten you at any point during your crawl?

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf said:
Hmm... so you'd include crawling? Move action to travel five feet, provoking AoOs from opponents who threaten you at any point during your crawl?

Actually, yeah, I probably would. :)

EDIT:

I probably wouldn't have in 3.0, when crawling was its own full-round action. At least, that's how I remember it being ...

Jhulae

First Post
I wouldn't have any problem allowing a character to draw and tumble. Remember, tumbling only doubles the movement distance for the squares someone's actively tumbling through. Unless the character is tumbling for the whole move action, there is going to be at least one or two squares of 'non-tumble' movement, where the weapon can be drawn.

Even if the character tumbles throguhout the whole move action (reducing the move by half), if a character can tumble with a weapon out, I don't see why it'd be so hard to grab it half way through. And, it makes combat more 'cinematic' that way, which is a good thing, too.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
Actually, yeah, I probably would. :)

I think I'd consider the "Provoke an AoO by entering a square" to make crawling sufficiently irregular movement as not to qualify :)

-Hyp.

Remove ads