D&D (2024) Dropping armor proficiencies and using Strength as base for armor use.

Lojaan

Hero
Looks good tho I would remove str requirement for light armor. Anyone should be able to wear light armor. It's basically clothes.

Shields should have no str requirement and still need proficiency to get the bonus.

How bonuses work, I simply do not like odd stats.

requirement of 13+ is just saying that in 99% of cases it will be 14+ on that stat.
on default array/point buy, no one is having odd stat except the starting 17 and aiming at +1 ASI from half feat at 4th level to turn it into 18.

4th level seems just about right for heaviest mundane armor, so 18 fits nicely.
But yes, all STR requirements could be lowered by 1 point if everyone likes odd stats that much.

16/16/13 is not unheard of.

Clint_L

Hero
I like the concept. I don't like that you've also increased the viability of dex while wearing heavy armour. Dex is already OP. Ultimately, I want things to be more simple, not more complex when it comes to armour and weapons because I don't think those are very interesting parts of the game.

Amrûnril

Adventurer
I like the concept. I don't like that you've also increased the viability of dex while wearing heavy armour. Dex is already OP. Ultimately, I want things to be more simple, not more complex when it comes to armour and weapons because I don't think those are very interesting parts of the game.

DEX is OP in that it allows characters to boost attack rolls, damage, AC and initiative with a single stat (which makes strength-based attacks a trap choice for most weapon users with limited armor proficiencies). This proposal doesn't make DEX stronger in that context though. It just makes it less obvious as a dump stat for characters who are attacking with STR.

Yaarel

He Mage
Should 1D&D just drop armor category proficiency and just use MIN STR stat for all armors?

It would give more importance to Str as an ability.
having effective Dex mod to a degree for even heaviest of armors also prevents "free" dumping of dex to 8. you would want now atleast a 12 for optimum AC.
Also Dex damage effects would now be impactful to heavy armor users.

Armor nameMin StrengthAC bonusMax Dex
Leather10+1+6
Hide12+2+5
Chainmail14+4+3
Half-plate16+6+2
Fullplate18+8+1
Buckler shield12+1n/a
Shield14+2n/a

penalty for not having required STR for specific armor would be:
speed halved,
Disadvantage on all attacks,
Disadvantage on all STR, DEX and CON saves and checks,
All targets of your DC based abilities and spells have advantage on their saves,

Why not simply say that you cannot cast spells?
For simple reason that a simple STR drain/damage should not be complete removal of caster from battle.
This way you can still heal, buff or chose to "misty step" yourself out of the armor. Trading protection for normal spell usage.

Strength score prereq = AC armor bonus

Strength +0 = 11 AC padded (can benefit under leather, chain, or scale)
Strength +0 = 11 AC leather
Strength +1 = 12 AC shield
Strength +1 = 12 AC leather + padded
Strength +1 = 13 AC chain
Strength +1 = 13 AC padded + shield
Strength +1 = 13 AC leather + shield
Strength +2 = 14 AC scale
Strength +2 = 14 AC breastplate
Strength +2 = 14 AC chain + padded
Strength +2 = 14 AC leather + padded + shield
Strength +2 = 15 AC half plate
Strength +2 = 15 AC scale + padded
Strength +2 = 15 AC chain + shield
Strength +3 = 16 AC chain suit
Strength +3 = 16 AC scale + shield
Strength +3 = 16 AC breastplate + shield
Strength +3 = 16 AC chain + padded + shield
Strength +3 = 16 AC scale + shield
Strength +3 = 17 AC splint suit
Strength +3 = 17 AC chain suit + padded
Strength +3 = 17 AC half plate + shield
Strength +4 = 18 AC plate suit
Strength +4 = 18 AC chain suit + shield
Strength +4 = 18 AC scale suit + padded
Strength +4 = 19 AC chain suit + padded + shield
Strength +5 = 20 AC splint + padded + shield
Strength +5 = 20 AC plate + shield

Yaarel

He Mage
Because armor can be hot and exhausting, to lack training should probably cause disadvantage to any Physical Ability Check, namely Constitution as well as Strength and Dexterity.

ECMO3

Hero
Should 1D&D just drop armor category proficiency and just use MIN STR stat for all armors?

It would give more importance to Str as an ability.
having effective Dex mod to a degree for even heaviest of armors also prevents "free" dumping of dex to 8. you would want now atleast a 12 for optimum AC.
Also Dex damage effects would now be impactful to heavy armor users.

Armor nameMin StrengthAC bonusMax Dex
Leather10+1+6
Hide12+2+5
Chainmail14+4+3
Half-plate16+6+2
Fullplate18+8+1
Buckler shield12+1n/a
Shield14+2n/a

penalty for not having required STR for specific armor would be:
speed halved,
Disadvantage on all attacks,
Disadvantage on all STR, DEX and CON saves and checks,
All targets of your DC based abilities and spells have advantage on their saves,

Why not simply say that you cannot cast spells?
For simple reason that a simple STR drain/damage should not be complete removal of caster from battle.
This way you can still heal, buff or chose to "misty step" yourself out of the armor. Trading protection for normal spell usage.
I really don't like scaling the dexterity mod. I don't like it on the current rules TBH, but going from 3 tiers to 6 would be worse.

I think all characters should get full dex mod to AC. I also think encumberance and a movement penalty is the best way to deal with armor weight and better than making it solely based on strength.

Remove ads