D&D General Dumb Reasons To Get Booted From a Group.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Reply to OP.

He set up the game table perpendicular to the tv screen, instead of parallel to it.

EDIT
There was still three feet of space between the table and the tv.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
How? Please explain.

I should note that the DM told us when he put the map down that we could only see our immediate surroundings and not the entire mapped area.
Fatal DM mistakes: a) putting the map down in the first place, then b) telling you where the other PCs were on said map when your own PCs wouldn't have known; then c) expecting you players not to use all that extra undeserved info you'd just been given.

Yeah, this one's more a DM fail than player, I think.

Michael Linke

Adventurer
Or maybe he decided that his prep time was better spent doing something other than drawing maps that only some players could see and thought they could be mature enough to play with the given restrictions.
How/why would you draw the players' maps during prep? You describe what the players see, and they map it, or you draw it for them on the battle mat as usual.

Hex08

Hero
I 've never been kicked from a group but I have booted a player once, recently in fact. I was actually a pretty crappy situation for me. The player and I have been friends since about 1985 and he has been part of my gaming group from almost the start, more than 30 years. He has never owned or read the rules to any game we have played, which is fine and I have played with several people like that with no problems, but he has always been a rules lawyer. He would frequently argue how rules worked but would have no more than a casual knowledge of them. He would also frequently get frustrated or complain when NPCs reacted in ways he didn't think they should or situations didn't pan out they way he foresaw. Recently it became too much and I snapped during a gaming session and called it quits for the night and made it clear he as no longer welcome. This was the third time he was removed from the group over the years but this time I won't be asking him back. Luckily, it doesn't seem to have affected our friendship otherwise.

Orius

Legend
We knew the session was gonna be bad at the start when it was a Goth dude Ref, and his harem of mostly female Goth players.

It just gave off the vibe that they liked to live action half the crap they were roleplaying, and a lot of it was pretty overtly sexual.

To break up the cringe and creepy sexual vibes, every now and then I'd yell out 'Whistler', play the Blade music on my phone (to assist with the deep immersion we were going for, naturally) and Leeroy Jenkins buckets of dice slaughtering everything in sight, while my mate would count off victims with a 'One Werewolf, TWO Werewolves..' in the Counts voice from Sesame Street.

We came. We saw. We conquered.

Pretty sure our existence was retconned out after that one session. Be hilarious if we were canon in that story though.
PLEASE tell me that you were playing Malkavians.

Or at least your friend was. That's necessary to maintain the proper tone.

Lyxen

Great Old One
I 've never been kicked from a group but I have booted a player once, recently in fact. I was actually a pretty crappy situation for me. The player and I have been friends since about 1985 and he has been part of my gaming group from almost the start, more than 30 years. He has never owned or read the rules to any game we have played, which is fine and I have played with several people like that with no problems, but he has always been a rules lawyer. He would frequently argue how rules worked but would have no more than a casual knowledge of them. He would also frequently get frustrated or complain when NPCs reacted in ways he didn't think they should or situations didn't pan out they way he foresaw. Recently it became too much and I snapped during a gaming session and called it quits for the night and made it clear he as no longer welcome. This was the third time he was removed from the group over the years but this time I won't be asking him back. Luckily, it doesn't seem to have affected our friendship otherwise.
Interestingly, same problem with a long-time friend of some of my even longer time friends and players, some of whom I've known for 35+ years. Became a player and then a DM, got booted once for powergaming/ruleslawyering/borderline cheating, I got him back on board in our groups, again as player then DM, and got booted again for the same offenses as before (including yelling at other players for not following his "sound" tactical advice). Will not be invited back, but we still play correspondence games with him...

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
and got booted again for the same offenses as before (including yelling at other players for not following his "sound" tactical advice).
I inherited a 2E half ogre in Al Qadim who had a 3 Intelligence and a 4 Wisdom. He also had the only canon +6 to hit item in the game: Mattock of the Titans.
The self-proclaimed leader of the PC's played a high INT high CHA wizard who told every player what their characters should do every single round. So I told the DM "My character is way too stupid to do the right thing. So whenever (that wizard) tells him what to do, he will do something else."

That resulted in my never* attacking with the mattock because "it's a shovel, not a weapon."

When the wizard's player missed a game, my PC attacked with the mattock. When he later found out, that drove the wizard's player crazy--and he doubled down on yelling at me to follow his orders.

Good times. :D

Orius

Legend
Anyone in that group playing a character with a chaotic alignment should have been keen to ignore Mr. Magic Pants.

Remove ads