Dungeon Mastering as a Fine Art

pemerton

Legend
Permerton and Neon, the examples you give reveal to me that you hold to stereotypes about my play that are not true.
That wasn't my intention. I very much believe you that you care about your characters, along the lines (I'm guessing) of the DMG quote I posted.

What I am saying is that I don't think the motivations behind "story gaming" are all that new. You can see hints of it in the passages from Gygax I quoted. Ron Edwards has examples of people playing Tunnels & Trolls in that style back in those same comparatively early years. I know that I worked my way towards an early version of my current approach in the mid-to-late-80s. I didn't get there by reading Dragon magazine (other than the article in 101, "For King and Country", which helped me ditch alignment) - I worked it out for myself, with a bit of support from the original Oriental Adventures.

It would be a while before systems optimised for this sort of play experience emerged. (The first I know of is Maelstrom Storytelling from the second half of the 90s, though Over the Edge from 1992 is something of a prototype.) But I think people were doing it before those systems were invented.

Emerikol

Adventurer
The abilities you list all make the characters better at things they should be doing anyway no matter what their class. If they can. So the Paladin is slightly better at bringing down evil? Almost everyone tries to bring down evil. The rogue simply gets more of an advantage from striking from hidden - but everyone should be trying to ambush rather than fight fair. It doesn't change what you want to do.

Valiant strike on the other hand? Getting surrounded would normally be a bad plan - in fact it would be the textbook bad plan, but it's also something that many Paladins should want to do. So instead of giving them a reward for what would otherwise be good tactics anyway, 4E boosts Paladins by making what should be bad tactics but very thematic into tactics that they can use viably without playing as if they are trying to get themselves killed for no good purpose.

I've said exactly this about the 4e approach to the game. It design mechanics that encouraged you to do something that is otherwise stupid. I found that sort of game not to my liking for that reason (and others of course). But I think we agree on the basic point that the game did that.

Emerikol

Adventurer
That wasn't my intention. I very much believe you that you care about your characters, along the lines (I'm guessing) of the DMG quote I posted.

What I am saying is that I don't think the motivations behind "story gaming" are all that new. You can see hints of it in the passages from Gygax I quoted. Ron Edwards has examples of people playing Tunnels & Trolls in that style back in those same comparatively early years. I know that I worked my way towards an early version of my current approach in the mid-to-late-80s. I didn't get there by reading Dragon magazine (other than the article in 101, "For King and Country", which helped me ditch alignment) - I worked it out for myself, with a bit of support from the original Oriental Adventures.

It would be a while before systems optimised for this sort of play experience emerged. (The first I know of is Maelstrom Storytelling from the second half of the 90s, though Over the Edge from 1992 is something of a prototype.) But I think people were doing it before those systems were invented.

I think we are agreeing. I don't know when the first human being played in that style. I am certain it was a good bit before systems began to accommodate that style. I think we can agree that the common man on the street wasn't hearing about it unless he happened to know someone leading that charge. It wasn't the mainstream playing style is my point.

Any popular game is bound to be taken in lots of different directions. The Monte Haul style game was actually the battleground in the late 70s and 80s. Gygax actually railed against it in the 1e DMG. So I don't doubt that if roleplaying stays popular many more approaches will arise some of which I may like and some I won't. I'm not locked into the past but I am very much a fan of a particular viewpoint approach to gaming. I prefer actor stance and character limited knowledge as much as possible.

Rod Staffwand

aka Ermlaspur Flormbator
All of this is to say that the DM can depart from standard resolution for a variety of reasons:

1. Because the rules don't apply or apply imperfectly to the situation at hand.
2. As a practical matter (i.e. speeding through a combat because there's only 5 minutes left in the game session).
3. To make for a better "story".
4. To persecute, punish or even favor a player or the entire party.

Imaro

Legend
The abilities you list all make the characters better at things they should be doing anyway no matter what their class. If they can. So the Paladin is slightly better at bringing down evil? Almost everyone tries to bring down evil. The rogue simply gets more of an advantage from striking from hidden - but everyone should be trying to ambush rather than fight fair. It doesn't change what you want to do.

Valiant strike on the other hand? Getting surrounded would normally be a bad plan - in fact it would be the textbook bad plan, but it's also something that many Paladins should want to do. So instead of giving them a reward for what would otherwise be good tactics anyway, 4E boosts Paladins by making what should be bad tactics but very thematic into tactics that they can use viably without playing as if they are trying to get themselves killed for no good purpose.

Yes but the point was about abilities that reinforce roleplaying... Now whether a paladin archetype should rush in to a group and fight as opposed to say... challenging and smiting the biggest, baddest evil doer in one-on-one combat on the field is more about how one views a paladin than whether either particular ability gives more of an incentive to roleplay or not.

Sadras

Legend
So instead of giving them a reward for what would otherwise be good tactics anyway, 4E boosts Paladins by making what should be bad tactics but very thematic into tactics that they can use viably without playing as if they are trying to get themselves killed for no good purpose.

We have incorporated an XP reward system for thematic play in our 5e game. Funny enough we had same reward system in place for our 4e games, but of course utilising your powers did not earn you that reward since that (using your powers) was considered the standard.
So basically we incentivise thematic play via XP and achieve the same result - a pretty good house rule IMO.

Last edited:

Permerton and Neon, the examples you give reveal to me that you hold to stereotypes about my play that are not true. We love being our characters. We have backstories. There is a lot of depth and fiction to our work.

I don't think I've ever doubted that. I've read too much MERP, too much Rolemaster (although that's more [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION]'s game), too much GURPS, and have just bought Pendragon (as it's the current Bundle of Holding). And I'm well aware of Chivalry and Sorcery and Harn. In fact I'll say flat out that one of the best things about 80s gaming was the depth, attention, and love put into the settings and fiction. Much more so, in my opinion, than 90s metaplotty stuff - and that's one of the reasons I was buying GURPS rather than WoD in the 90s.

In fact I'll go so far as to say say that the 80s was the high point of RPG research and setting creation and no one is doing it remotely that well now (except arguably the people who've continued to build Harn).

On the other hand on this thread I've been dealing with Howandwhy99 who takes a very different approach. Things I say about Howandwhy99's very fringe playstyle are not intended to apply to everyone.

Perhaps it is the way the story is created that matters. In my style the group spends all their energy and effort trying to overcome the challenges in their path so that they can achieve their goal whatever that goal is. From a player thinking perspective, success is achieving the goal efficiently. If the DM does his job as DM though a great story will come out of that quest.

And I like that sort of story. But it is far from the only sort of story I like. And, with all due respect, it takes an absolute age to play. By the time we've finished a Fiasco we'd still be on the first level of Caverns of Thracia - and that's if we've entered the caverns at all. (A fast game of Fiasco can be played in an hour including setup). It takes you what? Four to six sessions to reach level 2? In that time my Grey Ranks character will have had all the triumph and heartbreak of a child soldier in the Warsaw Occupation, seeing what they love turn to ash and either surviving or dying. And I can throw in a game of Montsegur as well. In Monsterhearts we can have told a complete coming of age story, with people growing and developing massively, learning to cope with the world in a not screwed up way. Or descending into a whole pile of screwup and possibly burning down the school and ruining their life and others.

The DM will build a world that makes it hard to succeed. It all comes down to how the players approach the game. The player viewpoint if you will.

And to the nature of the challenges the rules and DM produce. D&D's mechanics basically support an "ascending sawtooth" story ("Can I? Can I? I don't think I can? I might be able to? Yay!!!/[Death]", repeat with a slightly bigger threat) or chicken/addiction arcs ("Just a bit further for a bit more treasure...") with the next iteration being almost the same but slightly louder. You can do more with it, of course, but the rules don't actively help you and can get in the way (try a locked room mystery with the cleric able to Speak with Dead and the wizard loaded down on divination spells?)

If we look at the seven basic plots, D&D is fundamentally about "The Quest" or "Overcoming the monster". Neither of those plots are bad things. But Fiasco is targetted on "Tragedy", and can delve into "Comedy" and "Voyage and Return" (and occasionally "Rebirth"). Monsterhearts strongly supports all five D&D doesn't.

It's just possible that the game of Monsterhearts I'm currently running with seven PCs has all five of those running together plus Overcoming the Monster (with the Monster being one of the PCs), with each PC as the focus for their own story. That's tangled, interwoven storytelling of a sort I've never seen in D&D - especially not after a couple of sessions.

One big mistake people make is they read old stories and they interpret them in the light of our modern environment. Gygax would never have allowed PCs to create content on the fly while adventuring.

This, as I've pointed out, just isn't true and I have already provided a counter-example. He allowed the Balrog to invent The Balrog Times as a plausible lie, and the idea they used flash photography. Because it was fun.

Claiming Gygax would never have done something that someone who was there says he actually did doesn't help your cause at all. And Arneson did not ask Major Wellesly if he could take a CIA badge with him into Braunstein. He just did it.

It is different. I'm not going to say the Forge invented the new way. I never said that. I think the new way arose in home games likely not super long after D&D was invented by people who had a bent to go that way.

A new way did arise in home games not super long after D&D was invented. The new way was that you must stick to the pre-established rules and background rather than "we made up some :):):):) we thought would be fun". And this new way came to dominate the hobby. Because it's what the books said to do.

In time, those who where successful at running those kinds of games introduced the idea. I do not know exactly when but I doubt it was as late as the nineties.

The idea was introduced in Braunstein. The game that inspired D&D. By Arneson before Gygax even started to get involved with D&D.

I played D&D all through the 80's and read many dragon magazines and I can assure you that style of play was not on most people's minds.

Indeed it wasn't on most peoples' minds. It happened in Lake Geneva - but the game Gygax played was not the game he published. And people who followed the published game (especially AD&D) were given dense books full of tables and rules saying the way things must be. And most people who wanted to make their own stuff up either stuck to oD&D, B/X, BECMI. or the Rules Cyclopaedia.

And that is too bad because some of them would have been happy with the new approach and would have stopped sabotaging the more traditional games with their whining and rules lawyering.

Rules lawyering is a consequence of detail heavy games that people haven't been careful when writing. (AD&D is very bad for this, so is the World of Darkness).

As for the rest, had D&D made more explicit its roots in the Freeform LARP (even if that term hadn't been invented) that was Braunstein it would have made more people happy, yes.

Faraer

Explorer
Gary Gygax's D&D games didn't prioritize simulationist or narrativist consistency, but equally they were far from abstract exercises in tactics or rules manipulation. They don't match very well any modern classification I'm aware of. Gary turned against the term 'story' in his later discussion, I think because for him it meant a narrative decided in advance or told in retrospect -- but he certainly saw D&D in large part in terms of fictional characters doing fictional things.

And Ed Greenwood's campaigns were 'roleplaying-over-rules', based on intertwining intrigues and plots (characters', not DM's), from their beginning in 1978, and started to influence the wider culture the next year, when his Dragon articles started, one of which was on how 'Player's don't need to know all the rules'.

Last edited:

The Monte Haul style game was actually the battleground in the late 70s and 80s. Gygax actually railed against it in the 1e DMG.

Yup. The trouble with Monte Haul, however, is not something you'd see now because the idea of taking your character from group to group has vanished. If you take your same character across, and Rary is giving out ten times the treasure of Bigby, Rigby, or Sigby, people in Rary's game have an unfair advantage. That was the problem with Monte Haul :)

I'm not locked into the past but I am very much a fan of a particular viewpoint approach to gaming. I prefer actor stance and character limited knowledge as much as possible.

Generally, so am I :) One reason I'm a fan of most games Powered By The Apocalypse (Apocalypse World, Monsterhearts, and my own homebrews in particular, Dungeon World not so much because it breaks this guideline).

Yes but the point was about abilities that reinforce roleplaying... Now whether a paladin archetype should rush in to a group and fight as opposed to say... challenging and smiting the biggest, baddest evil doer in one-on-one combat on the field is more about how one views a paladin than whether either particular ability gives more of an incentive to roleplay or not.

You really expect the person on the other side to accept the one on one duel? Your mark enables you to challenge them effectively to one on one combat so they have a problem attacking anyone else, and Valiant Strike gives you bonusses when they prefer to fight you many on one and have you dogpiled.

But if you don't like the way Valiant Strike encourages you to behave don't take it. If your personal picture of a Paladin differs there are about a dozen other at will powers you could take in its place, all of which in different ways reflect how Paladins behave.

We have incorporated an XP reward system for thematic play in our 5e game. Funny enough we had same reward system in place for our 4e games, but of course utilising your powers did not earn you that reward since that was considered the standard.
So basically we incentivise thematic play via XP and achieve the same result - a pretty good house rule IMO.

That works well - XP for thematic play especially when it hurts the character.

Gary Gygax's D&D games didn't prioritize simulationist or narrativist consistency, but equally they were far from abstract exercises in tactics or rules manipulation. They don't match very well any modern classification I'm aware of. Gary turned against the term 'story' in his later discussion, I think because for him it meant a narrative decided in advance or told in retrospect -- but he certainly saw D&D in large part in terms of fictional characters doing fictional things.

That's my understanding as well :) And I agree with Gygax that pre-plotted stories aren't as much fun as organic ones (and spare me from the Storyteller system and the GM advice those games gave for making the story unfold). The point of Storygames is that the rules lead naturally to emergent stories of the type intended. So My Life With Master leads to Gothic Horror and Monsterhearts to Teen Horror/Drama without having to put any direct GM constraints on the actions at all to force them into the desired mould. Some are actor stance, some are author stance - but following the rules of the game leads to the playstyle and the type of story intended.

And Ed Greenwood's campaigns were 'roleplaying-over-rules', based on intertwining intrigues and plots (characters', not DM's), from their beginning in 1978, and started to influence the wider culture the next year, when his Dragon articles started, one of which was on how 'Player's don't need to know all the rules'.

I believe Gygax didn't even let the players see the rules at all for a long time :)

Remove ads