D&D 5E Dungeons and Dragons and the RPG Stigma

seebs

Adventurer
It would never even have occurred to me to consider the idea that people might care what my hobbies were. Pretty sure my coworkers know I play D&D, also that I have a huge nail polish collection and paint my nails obsessively. And... so what? One of my coworkers is rebuilding a 1960-something Jeep pretty much from the ground up. So? People get into things, they do things, it's awesome. I just take it for granted that adults will be able to deal with the concept of hobbies, and if they can't, well, I laugh at them.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Another thing I'd like to add:

I'd like to see one of these "nerd bashers" stand face to face with someone like Stan Lee, and tell him that comics and using your imagination is childish and non-productive. It would take about 5 seconds for them to feel extremely small and foolish.

Dire Bare

Legend
It's been a long time since I encountered any negative reactions (other than edition warring). Years ago, it wasn't that D&D was for nerds, but rather "Isn't that the game that makes people commit suicide?" or else "But that's devil worshipping."

For me, it was all of the above! I was going to summon demons, kill myself, and die an unloved nerd . . . all due to my D&D books!

Dausuul

Legend
It's been a long time since I encountered any negative reactions (other than edition warring). Years ago, it wasn't that D&D was for nerds, but rather "Isn't that the game that makes people commit suicide?" or else "But that's devil worshipping."

Wait, are you telling me Jack Chick was lying? D&D won't teach me how to use real magic spells?

Sheesh, that was a waste of 27 years.

Only read about half the thread so far, but I think this is a pretty good topic.

Personally, I love D&D, but I never ever talk about it to anybody whose interest I haven't already gauged positively. It's partly the leftover mental scars from having been a teenage geek, but also because I've discovered that most people who aren't already curious about D&D aren't really interested in learning anything about it. On the plus side, fantasy movies and video gaming have made it a lot easier to discover potential "new converts" to tabletop gaming.

One of my buddies is an IT guy for a public school board. At the same time our group (including him) was playing through Lost Mine of Phandelver last fall, he'd be relating stories about a fairly large group of kids he'd frequently overhear playing the same adventure in the library of the school he works at. We'd laugh about it because of some of the weird/ridiculous n00b-ness of the kids in these stories (lol Venomfang rekt them), but overall it was pretty impressive: he said that over the course of a couple months, the group seemed to swell to almost a dozen players, then split into two separate groups over some absurb preteen drama. If young kids are picking up this game by the dozen, the next generation of gamers will grow up without the same garbage stigmas that are apparently still kicking around.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Joss Whedon used to be a D&D player -- and wrote and directed two of the highest grossing films of all time. :)

As for keeping my RPG hobby a secret from work -- one of my office knick-knacks at my desk is a huge foam green 20-sided die. :) Plus, Just last week I heard someone slam Drizzt Do'Urden two cubes down, which made me smile so much I didnt bother to correct them.

pemerton

Legend
I think the stigma is less about the fantasy components like elves and dragons, and more about the imaginative component. Board games and comic books maintain a very detached involvement that can easily be played for irony (the safest way for non-nerds to interact with anything nerdy). Actually role-playing a character requires much more direct involvement.
Sounds plausible to me.

Remove ads