D&D 5E Dungeons and Dragons and the RPG Stigma

Riley37

First Post
I have had coworkers refuse to work with me. (One of them got fired over it. The other saw the writing on the wall.)

That's the appropriate response for an employer. You hire employees to do a job. If Employee A refuses to work with Employee B, because Employee A has personal prejudices which trump *pulling together as a team to get the job done*, then it's time to remove Employee A from your employee roster.

Of course, some employers have their own prejudices, which trump recruiting the best team to do the best job (and earn the most money). So size up your employer, and act accordingly.

So far as I can tell, medicine in the USA is ruled by bullies, across all aspects of the profession. If you have a problem with jerks mocking you, as a way to impress nurses; if you're not OK with the way that big chickens peck little chickens; if you're not ready to kowtow to the big bullies, and pick on your peers just to stay on top - then you have some decisions to make. You face those decisions whether your hobby is D&D or rock climbing or cooking or whatever. (If I am wrong about medicine in the USA, then I'm sure someone will post a correction. I've only worked in one medical office.)

Mercule

Adventurer
Yes. Usually dealing with fundamentalist christians (almost always Baptists, for that matter, tho' a few Catholics).
Interesting. I assume they were rank-and-file Catholics. I'm not Catholic, but about half the handful of Catholic priests I've known well enough to care what they do for fun, played D&D. I wonder what those folks you encountered would think about that.

They would probably also have fun with the fact that, as a strong Christian and church elder who leads multiple Bible studies during the week, I'm quite certain that I would not be a Christian, today, if I hadn't played D&D and been prompted to dig into things like Medieval and ancient history, the works of Tolkien, folk religion, etc.

Dausuul

Legend
Interesting. I assume they were rank-and-file Catholics. I'm not Catholic, but about half the handful of Catholic priests I've known well enough to care what they do for fun, played D&D. I wonder what those folks you encountered would think about that.
Not religious myself, but I work for a Catholic university. Never had any issues. Of course, I work in the IT department, which is likely to be a gamer-friendly environment no matter where you are. :)

I wouldn't shout about playing RPGs on my cv or at interview. The sad fact is that people do have preconceptions and you never know which side of the fence they will fall on. It may affect their decision to employ you. Now, once employed, you might be able to bring up the subject and 'convert' from within.

From an employers perspective, any very involving hobby is a concern when interviewing. RPGs may represent in the interviewer's mind (let's call him Mr Jones), the feeling that this candidate is socially awkward, or weird, or even in extreme cases about five minutes from the nearest ducking stool if they had their way. Whatever.

Another interviewer, let's call her Mrs Smith, on the other hand, may be a gamer herself, or recognise the various mental/social skills roleplaying can bring. Again, whatever.

What both Mr Jones and Mrs Smith will agree on, though, is that here's a candidate with a hobby they're passionate about. A time consuming hobby. Potentially a hobby that may incline this candidate to daydream or split his focus. What Smith and Jones are looking for is, usually, sensible, level headed staff that have the ability to work overtime when needed and to be focused on the job in hand.

I act, and that hobby is massively time consuming and gets a lot of eye rolling for it's perceived high score on the dweeb-o-meter as it is. But people more or less understand it - they've seen plays, or at least are dimly aware of large buildings called theatres where culture happens. I know I've been drilled on the topic in interviews because (a) they want to suss out how much time off or leaving at the stroke of 5:30 I'd expect and (b) as with ANY hobby, they want to see if I care more about my free time than my work time - a carefully modulated amount of enthusiasm is required.

So, I wouldn't lob in another hobby to the mix, especially not one which, alas, does have the potential for negative assumptions.

But then, like one's sexual isms, what you do in your own time should have no bearing on your work performance. They're unlikely to ask you to state your sexuality or preferred perversion at interview. That's stuff that happens 'off camera'. Where they may raise red flags is at the thought of employing someone whose 'off camera' time will eat into or distract from their 'on air' time.

That said, one of my players is an online gamer new to tabletop and he's been evangelising since playing 5e, his first proper ttrpg. All the guys apparently that he's spoken to have said it sounds cool, and admittedly all the girls have rolled their eyes. But he runs a cool bar, he's a ladies man, and he's a massive geek. All at the same time. No one has slagged him off. I on the other hand bid farewell to my youth some years ago and am not in the category of 'cool' to those who care about such things, so I keep quiet about it. Even so at work I've discovered colleagues who used to play RPGs or who are massively into board games such as Munchkin or Talisman, and they've all made enquiries about playing. So it's not all doom and gloom.

In a nutshell, don't wave a flag, especially at interview, and be prepared for folk to be d*cks. But equally, don't assume they will be. And as for Dr Hey-Nursies-Look-at-Me, cordiality is all you can give him. And maybe a surprise laxative.

Gilladian

Adventurer
Hmmm... I'm a librarian, deep in the bible belt of Texas. While I rarely bring up my gaming habits to library patrons, my gaming is what helped me become the Teen Librarian, which I adore. This summer, because of my "status" as Library Geek, I will get to run a game of superhero jeopardy, write and run a Hunger Games based rpg one-shot (live action) for the teens, run a boxed murder mystery game (don't have time to write my own this year), and do several costume contests. Oh, and do a science show, tons of crafts, etc... as well. I run a monthly Anime Club and a Minecraft Club as well. My boss thinks I'm weird, but she's perfectly happy to let me run with things!

neobolts

Explorer
Unfortunately not so where I live...

Here in the "Bible belt" of the U.S.A. admission of D&D playing is tantamount to satan-worship, even today. I've had people literally walk away hurriedly and never, EVER under any circumstances would I bring that up at work for fear of losing my job.

Yes, my nerd-friends, hatred for D&D and anyone who doesn't fit the mold is still alive and well, much to the sadness of my friends and I. Posting a want ad for a new game anywhere other than within the safety of the one (of two) gaming stores within a 50 mile radius will most definitely have the redneck Gestapo arriving for a chat.

Not quite as bad where I live, but fundamentalist Christianity in America hasn't forgotten the Satanic panic of the 1980s. It would be quite possible to encounter that view in the older generation, and unlikely but possible to hit that among people in their 20s or 30s. It's not a risk worth taking in a competitive workplace.

Kalshane

First Post
My girlfriend played in a D&D game for awhile with a Catholic Friar as the DM. It's her go-to counter example whenever she encounters someone who claims RPGs are satanic.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I wouldn't shout about playing RPGs on my cv or at interview. The sad fact is that people do have preconceptions and you never know which side of the fence they will fall on. It may affect their decision to employ you. Now, once employed, you might be able to bring up the subject and 'convert' from within.

The predominant current wisdom I see is that your professional documentation (CV or resume) is not a place for *personal* pursuits, unless they are very clearly and directly related to the proposed work. If you have run a charity organization as a volunteer, and you're trying to get a job as an executive assistant, then that makes sense as the coordination elements are relevant. Otherwise? It isn't relevant, and doesn't belong in the discussion.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
These days, I get far more curiosity than anything else. I won't say there's never any negative reactions, but most people just want to understand what it is.

Remove ads