• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dwimmermount OOC

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
But defer to whom? There's nobody senior to Gargrim right now...

You could have him try to lead, struggle, and decide it's not for him after all...? Or not, as you feel it. What's for sure is that Vindar is in no condition to lead at the moment (if he ever will be), and that Gargrim is the most senior in what remains of the group. How does he react to that? To his brother's death and petrification? To the town sergeant asking the group a direct question about how it went in there?

If he's silent and sullen, refusing to answer or react, maybe describe that? If he's not, what does he do? What's he feeling right now?

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Can we get an inventory of all the treasure we have taken. Gargrim will keep the martial training book. I think the survivors (and new volunteers) should pick up new equipment from the inventory and the dead, then we'll sell what's left over and divide up the loot. Gargrim is likely to repack food, water and adventuring gear for the trip but then use all the rest of his share for a funeral for Migrim plus the normal ritual of pissing away the rest on rounds of booze toasting his brother. The rest can do what they see fit with their money...including other burials.

Imperialus

Explorer
Binder Fred has been very helpfully keeping a log of the treasure recovered with very useful links to where it was found. I've been doing the same, but mine is hand written so its probably easier to use his list.

Treasure so far:
15 modern coppers, dead kobolds R24 [M]
Rusty iron key, looting-cart mural R25 [M]
40 Thulian gold, 100 Thulian silver, hollow column R24 [half M, half G]

Silver medal, gold ring, cocooned Thulian officer R26 [K]
Fine short sword, cocooned Thulian officer R26 [K]
Poison sack (1 dose), 3 whole legs, dead spiders R26 [M]
12 modern coppers and a tiger-eye gem worth 10gp, dead kobolds R29 [M]
5 Termaxian coppers and a tin bucket, dead kobolds R31 [M]
15 silvers and 20 coppers, all of Thulian make, shortbow and arrows, dead kobolds R32 [M]
Shortbow and arrows, dead kobolds R32 [K]
Silver cutlery, large kitchen knife, pot, sack of mushrooms, dried meat, kobold kitchen R35 [M]
Holy phalange, mint in box, secret alcove R36 [P]
4gp, 8sp, 6cp, 2 Termaxian gold, dead kobolds and insane dwarf R37 [G]
2 flasks of azoth, azoth pool R37 [C]
143 modern sp, 285 modern cp, kobold guardroom R38 [G]
Map of an Unknown Land [K], Tyreth Fencing Manual [G], Tattered Zatrikio handbook [M], bookshelves R18

As a note: The XP awarded does not account for the potential sale of the books, or the map as their value is highly variable depending on who you sell them to. I would also suggest that any 'fighter types' might want to take some time to read the fencing manual. It looks like you could learn a lot from it.

I have also only awarded the XP value for the Thulian officers sword, and the Saint's Relic. If either of them are sold you will get more XP on account of the GP value being higher.

If you are interested in expediting, then you can exchange the Thulian coins for modern ones at the moneychanger (who I don't think you've met yet) at a rate of 1:8 and Termaxian coins for modern ones at 1:4. If you choose to spend them as is then you get a 1:1 exchange rate and whoever's doing the selling has a very good day. I've already awarded the XP for them at the 1:10 and 1:5 rates though so that's not a concern. You could likely get a better deal if you traveled to Adamas, but it's up to you how quickly you want your 'turnaround' into the dungeon to be.
In terms of cash treasure, you have 40 Thulian GP, 115 Thulian SP, and 20 Thulian CP. You have 4 Termaxian GP, 8 Termaxian SP, and 6 Termaxian CP. You have 143 modern SP, and 285 modern CP.

Exchanging at Muntburg's monychanger that means you could have 336 GP, 1095 SP, 469 CP. You can exchange them for other denominations as desired.

The gem could be sold to Delster for face value. He'd also be willing to buy the silver medal and the gold ring you found.
Tiger Eye =10 GP
Medal = 15 GP
Ring = 75 GP
for a total of 100 GP.

Tasin, the owner of the general store would take some of the 'junk' off your hands, the silverware, and the pot. for a total of 15 GP.

If you offer to sell it to Emeilisse she would be extremely interested in the saints finger you found and would offer 750 GP for it, though she doesn't have that much money on hand and it will take her several weeks to get it from the Temple of Tyche in Adamas.

Sir Verodart would be interested in the fencing manual, and the officers sword. He'd offer 750 for the manual (now or after you read it) and the same for the sword (it's a +1 longsword in case you are wondering).

The map and the old rulebook are a bit tougher. No one in town is interested in them, though apparently Gawain of Had plays Zatriko so he might be interested in that when he returns. There are two brothers who run a caravan between Muntburg and Adamas and they would be willing to take them to Adamas on their next trip and try to sell them for a 10% commission. They would also be willing to take things like the ring, the medal, the silverware, the sword, the finger and the manual for the same deal. They'll also exchange the coins for you in Adamas at a rate of 1:9 for the Thulian ones and 2:9 for the Termaxian ones but again they won't have the money until they return from their next run.

Last edited:

Imperialus

Explorer
Is there anything I can do to help Leif? Is there an archtype you have in mind that the B/X version of D&D doesn't work for? I'd be flexible with allowing multiclasses from the Advanced Edition Compendium if you want. Toss out ideas for what you want to play and I'm sure we can bash around with the rules until we get close. I liked your idea of the Dwarf Fighter/Thief from earlier for example and that'd be easy as pie to work in.

Leif

Adventurer
Ok. let me see .... How about if I play a foil to Gargrim and Midgrim -- AN ELF. Umm, how embarrassing! We are using the Swords & Wizardry rules, yes?

If so, that makes an elf a default fighter/magic-user, right? Just looking over the advancement table in the book, I really don't understand it, but I'm guessing an elf would need twice as many XP to advance? And I'd be starting at first level?

I'd just be playing an elf to give Gargrim and Midgrim something to b**ch about.

OR, if you were serious about fiddling with things -- my favorite AD&D character was an Elf Magic-User/Thief. Could we work something up for that multi-class?

Imperialus

Explorer
Ok. let me see .... How about if I play a foil to Gargrim and Midgrim -- AN ELF. Umm, how embarrassing! We are using the Swords & Wizardry rules, yes?

Actually we're using Labyrinth Lord which is based on B/X whereas Swords & Wizardry is based on OD&D. Close enough for horse shoes, but not identical.

req=Int 9
Prim Reqs Int+Str
HD 1d8
Infravision 60 feet, Detect secret doors on 1-2. Can wear any armour, wield any weapon, cast spells as Magic User.
XP for 2nd level 4065.

Elves and Dwarves in Dwimmermount don't have any particular animosity towards each other other than the conflict between beings that lean towards Law and beings that lean towards Chaos. For the most part they just see each other as weird as hell. Human's tend to dislike elves more than they dislike dwarves, and although they lean towards chaos Elves tend to have a significant antipathy towards humanoids like Orcs, goblins and beastmen due to their physical uglyness and stupidity. Humans and dwarves at least look pleasing to the eye and fit to purpose, even if their barbaric 'culture', and views towards sanitation are somewhat unpleasant. They also look down on manual labour which dwarves tend to hold in high esteem.

Elves are known as masterful artisans woodworkers and jewelers, though they don't have the 'Tolkinesque' connection to nature that is often associated with elves. They enjoy beauty, but their taste runs towards a more artificial beauty than the natural. Their villages and settlements more closely resemble an 18th century french aristocrats garden rather than a natural glade.

Elves
The term “elf” is a Thulian word used to describe those intelligent, humanoid beings who can claim descent from the Eld. At the climax of the uprising against the Eldritch Empire, the Eld nobility retreated en masse back to the Red Planet in the face of the Thulian onslaught. Those Eld unable to return whence they came, in time, came to be
known as elves. As relatives of the evil Eld, elves are generally looked upon with suspicion by men and dwarves to this day.

The defining characteristic of the elves is their longevity: so far as anyone knows, elves are immortal. They can be killed and certain ailments may slay them, but they never die of old age. All elves, regardless of their chronological age -- and many elves claim to be over a thousand years old -- look as if they were approximately in their late teens or early 20s from a human perspective. Interestingly, elves, unlike most other races, cannot be raised from the dead if slain.

Physically, elves are lithe and agile and tend to possess fair complexions and hair. Their faces are delicate and finely chiseled—not unattractive by any means, but nevertheless possessing an “alien” quality to them that many men find disconcerting rather than alluring. Elven ears are slightly pointed. Though elves are, on average, shorter than men,they display a wide diversity of sizes.

The alien quality of elves is not limited to their appearance. Distant and haughty, they do not seem to possess emotions as men do, or if they do, they are far less demonstrative about them. Because of their long lives, they are often slow to act, preferring to take weeks or even months to commit themselves to a course of action of any significance. Elves gently mock humans and even dwarves as “ephemerals,” seeing them as impetuous and foolhardy children. Needless to say, this has not helped their reputation among men, many of whom consider them little better than the Eld of old.

Despite their longevity, elves are few in number; most humans have never seen more than two or three elves their entire lives and rarely do they ever see more than one elf in the same place. There are communities of elves in isolated parts of the world, but humans rarely see them, let alone visit them. Those few who have visited them note, among other things, that there are no children to be found among the elves.

This lack of children has led to speculation about how new elves come to be, if indeed they do at all. For their part, elves refuse to broach the subject with “ephemerals,” implying only that it is an intensely personal matter that they do not discuss with nonelves. One popular belief is that elves are a dying race that will pass away forever when the last elf is slain. Another even more popular belief is that elves steal human children and raise them as their own. Others say that one can become an elf by consuming their food, a notion made more plausible by the fact that elves do not consume human foodstuffs if they can avoid it and prefer not to eat in the presence of nonelves, regardless of the menu.

Though there are many tall tales of “half-elves”— the result of a star-crossed romance, usually between a human hero and a beautiful elven maiden—there’s no evidence that such a thing is even possible. For their part, elves take no interest whatsoever in humans (or any other race) as objects of affection. Furthermore, though elves do have two genders that, outwardly at least, resemble those of humans, elves do not marry or form pair bonds or have any other kind of social arrangements that suggest either the formation of families or indeed any purpose to the physiological differences between the genders. It’s almost as if elves were male and female in imitation of humans!

Elves are inherently magical. All members of the race possess the ability to cast spells, though their command of sorcery seems to be more limited than that of humans. This is true even among the Eld, which likely explains why they have turned to demons to augment their power, a practice that while uncommon, is not wholly unknown even among
the elves.

A minority of sages claim that many elven sites and structures are in fact older than those of Eldritch manufacture, arguing that it was not the Elves of Telluria who sprang from the Red Elves of Areon, but the reverse. For their part, the elves have nothing to add to such discussions, preferring to say as little as possible about their red-skinned relations. An even smaller minority of sages suggests that the elves may in fact be the descendants of the mysterious “Great Ancients” whose mighty works and artifacts predate even the Eldritch Empire, citing odd similarities between the devices of the Ancients and those produced by the elves. Once again, the elves have little to say on the matter and few men are willing to countenance the suggestion that the Great Ancients were anything but members of their own kind living in the distant past. Save for the fact that they cannot benefit from raise dead, the elves of Dwimmermount are functionally identical to those presented in the Labyrinth Lord rulebook.

Remove ads