D&D 5E Eberron 5e - What do we want?

Eberron 5e - What do we want from WotC?

• Full Campaign Book, rehashing 3e and 4e

Votes: 11 10.7%
  • Full Campaign Book, advancing the timeline

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • A mega-adventure like CoS or PotA, brushing over "Eberron mechanics"

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • A mega-adventure like CoS or PotA with large appendices to add in "Eberron mechanics"

Votes: 26 25.2%
  • A supplemental guide like SCAG (for the entire Eberron setting)

Votes: 39 37.9%
  • A supplemental guide like SCAG (for one region, probably Sharn/Breland)

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • UA article updates, nothing more needed

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • No need - Eberron has a rich history and converting to 5e requires little to no effort.

Votes: 2 1.9%

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
Huge fan of Eberron, here. I love the setting, love the style, love the tone, love the options. Played in a couple Eberron campaigns, DM'd one.

What do we want for Eberron out of the new 5e ruleset?

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
I don't want to see the timeline advanced: there is way too rich content of 998 to need more stuff to happen.

The 3e Campaign Setting is, in my opinion, the Eberron bible. The 4e campaign setting is nice, though any post in any thread on any site by Keith Baker (/Hellcow) is an amazing contribution. I don't need another Campaign Setting book.

I also want to see mechanical updates to: dragonmarks, changelings, kalashtar, artificers, lightning rails, etc.

I hope for a really good mega-adventure, with all the mechanics updates to run any Eberron adventure I might want. I don't need background or government structure on Breland or Aundair, or history of the giants/dalkaer/elves. I just want 5e stats for shifters, dragonshards, et al. And I want a really good adventure that reflects the setting.

Who here remembers the Dungeon magazine "Chimes at Midnight" Victor Saint-Demain trilogy? That, in one 256-page hardback.

FickleGM

Explorer
While I have never played in, nor run, Eberron, it is a setting that I really like (currently planning to run the setting for the first time, but using Savage Worlds).

I would like to see either a campaign book or supplemental guide that brings races/classes/class features/etc. from the setting into D&D 5e.

I do not, however, want to see the timeline advanced... ever. (b'.')b

feartheminotaur

First Post
Eberron is, to me, a high magic setting. Certainly magic items are more ubiquitous. The current 5e DMG offers items and suggestions for higher-level magic play, and a sorta system for items, but I'd like to see that go further for Eberron: Item creation rules, item pricing and rarity updated to reflect the greater availability of items, and classes that deal with them (e.g., artificer). I guess I'd like to see a setting that really sharply defines a difference between the 'standard' 5e setting and the magic is everywhere setting of Eberron

Tony Vargas

Legend
Obviously you'll need psionics and some races and so forth...

...but the one thing that stands out, and would be nice to have, in general, is the Artificer.

A SCAG-style book could probably deliver well enough.

Aldarc

Legend
Rules for artificers and magic item creation, dragonmarks, races, and psionics.

No timeline advancement. Multi-book adventures would be great.

Had this discussion before a couple times on this site.

My personal opinion is that they just need to do a revision of the UA material as a PDF on the DMs Guild and open up the setting for use on that website. All the old books are still valid and 100% of the lore and material from the 3e and 4e books still works, and used copies of those books can be found at far cheaper prices than a new one would cost. Easier to just buy them and download a PDF.

You don't need much to really run Eberron, just four or five races, some dragonmark rules, some dragonshard rules, and something for the artificer. That's not a book, that's a pamphlet.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I agree - I mean most campaign settings can be updated with a bit of crunch update, I'm not convinced a new edition is needed.

I'm not planing to, but if I was going to run a FR campaign for example, the 3e book would do just fine.

zeldafan42

First Post
Personally, I think they could do a bit more than just a pamphlet/pdf with a handful of crunch. On the other hand, I don't think we need an entire big hardcover book full of lots of fluff. SCAG really is the perfect size of what I'd like to see for Eberron. A section that gives an overview of setting with really basic fluff for the people who know nothing about the world, and a section with all the player crunch. If you want to get more in-depth with the lore, just find an older setting guide.

Because really, I'm not sure how much new crunch we really need. Something for psionics, which is also needed for Dark Sun, hopefully an artificer class, a few races which really just means cleaning up the ones from the UA and adding kalashtar, and maybe some Eberron flavored subclasses and backgrounds like what SCAG had. The Inquisitive Rogue from the recent UA would be a great fit here. Really, 90% of the necessary fluff was in that one UA, so there's not that much new stuff we need, just stuff that would be nice.

Remove ads