D&D 5E Eberron 5e - What do we want?

Eberron 5e - What do we want from WotC?

• Full Campaign Book, rehashing 3e and 4e

Votes: 11 10.7%
  • Full Campaign Book, advancing the timeline

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • A mega-adventure like CoS or PotA, brushing over "Eberron mechanics"

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • A mega-adventure like CoS or PotA with large appendices to add in "Eberron mechanics"

Votes: 26 25.2%
  • A supplemental guide like SCAG (for the entire Eberron setting)

Votes: 39 37.9%
  • A supplemental guide like SCAG (for one region, probably Sharn/Breland)

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • UA article updates, nothing more needed

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • No need - Eberron has a rich history and converting to 5e requires little to no effort.

Votes: 2 1.9%

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I really think that the recent M:tG Zendikar PDF is the way to go for setting updates. Include the crunch you absolutely have to (in this case, the Ebberon-specific races, the dragonmarks, a decent Artificer, etc), and provide advice on how to adapt existing resources for the rest. Put it up free of charge on the website or even ask $5-10 on the dmsguild. I'd go for it.

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
Id want to see the timeline advance. The reason I dislike Greyhawk is simply that.. its a stagnant setting where Iuz has been trying to overthrow everyone else for years. Things dont change.

Id want to see Eberron advance down its timeline.

Rabbitbait

Adventurer
I don't want to see an advance in the timeline, though I wouldn't mind seeing a step back in time. For me the big thing is updating the things that are difficult to homebrew - classes, races, dragonmarks, items etc. I don't see any need to republish what already exists, but it would be good to have one mega-adventure that spans Khorvair (with a bit of Xendrick). Something nice and sandboxy but with multiple trails.

I would not like to see a mega-adventure that is about the adventurers stopping the release or escape of a big bad. That has been done to death by WoTC. I like what was done with the 4e adventure around the Crown of Ashtura (I can't remember the name of the adventure). That had multiple factions all struggling to achieve similar goals, or stop others from achieving those goals without a clear steer of who the good guys were.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Personally, I think a SCAG-type book that contains the necessary crunch for classes, races, dragonmarks, et al. and a good overview of the setting would be the most valuable to new player and old fans alike.

I would hope that they didn't advance the timeline—they usually screw things up when they do, and peeve existing fans in the process. As a fan of Greyhawk, the Greyhawk Wars and then subsequent advancement did not meet a lot of fans approval. Also, I used to like the Forgotten Realms before the first time they blew up the setting (the Time of Troubles) and have looked on with disdain at each subsequent New-Edition-Means-Rewriting-The-Realms. And then there's Dragonlance. Poor, poor Dragonlance... How many apocalyptic events can a setting have in the span of 50 or so years?

Kite474

Explorer
An SCAG-eque book would be great! Gives all the needed lore and crunch in a simple package! They could also open up Eberron to the DMs guild. That would also be great.

Ezequielramone

Explorer
I want an adventure with rules updates (I run in there past some of them and these were really crazy and fun).
I got the Eberron CS from 3ra (along with the players guide, races of and sharn).
Eberron is a setting I love, but only if I run it from time to time. I don't need a players guide like SCAG. But I'd buy it anyway for the pleasure of reading and, of course, the mechanics.
I don't think I will be happy if they advance the timeline doing something drastic.
The just finished war is something characteristic from this setting. If you advance the time this will change. I can deal with 2 or 5 years if they only include the events in the adventures and maybe some minor change.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Personally I don't need more campaign setting books. Adventures would be nice, whether they make one big Curse of Strahd like adventure or open it up on DM's Guild for other people to make them I'm not picky.

Outside of my own needs and more for people who might be brought into the setting - if they're going to do a campaign setting, I'd prefer to see a big art/atlas/gazeteer book that focused on Eberron as a setting in a system-netural form. Honestly they could take the text of the 3e setting book, strip out the mechanics, and add more artwork and supplemental text from the various other books - perhaps with some new pieces commissioned in there as well. And then either a PDF release like the MtG Zendikar PDF to give the 5e conversion for the rules or a SCAG like book to do the same.

ETA: And no timeline advances. Individual tables can advance the timeline as they see fit, but there's no real need to do a timeline advance. I wouldn't mind seeing some big ideas on how the world might advance forward in possible timelines (to help plan campaigns and give the DM some ideas) but I don't see advancing the timeline as doing anything but splintering the Eberron playing base (which is already small enough as it is).

Mercule

Adventurer
I said SCAG-like book for one region. I think that's the bare minimum, with the 3E book serving as the master reference. I just don't want them to try to do Sarlona, Xendrik, etc. as part of "the entire Eberron setting".

One interesting quandary WotC is facing with Eberron is that, if they open it up on DMs Guild, there's an identifiable creator who would be able to publish material that many fans would view as more official than the WotC official material. On the other hand, the DMs Guild "contract" has an opening for WotC to use works published on that site, so it might actually fit into their plan perfectly, since they don't really want to produce too many source books, themselves. That assumes Keith still has an interest in working on Eberron and hasn't completely moved on to other projects, mentally.

Still, if Keith still has any interest in Eberron, I think the best case scenario is the regional (Breland, probably, but Aundair might be interesting) SCAG-type book that opens the setting up on DMs Guild. Then Keith can profit from filling in any holes that may need filling -- though I doubt the profit potential is quit-your-day-job level.

Remove ads