• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eberron: no sexism

GreatLemur

Explorer
mhacdebhandia said:
What does "historical precedence" have to do with Eberron?
Yeah, if there's any D&D setting where such analogies completely fall apart, this is it. They're always pretty shaky--as the vast majority of D&D games aren't set in the Earth's past, but among technically alien civilizations with radically different cultural and technological influences on their social development, and sometimes with longer histories than any real-world civilization can claim--but Eberron is a setting where magic has developed beyond merely being a plot device to filling the role of technology throughout the general population. There's no reason to look at the presence of swords and the absence of television sets, and conclude that Eberron's cultures should resemble those of medieval Earth.

The_Gneech

Explorer
Klaus said:
The celts had a warrior queen (there was even a book about her, but I can't remember the title).

I believe that's Boadicea you're thinking of. And let's not forget that the martial art of Wing Chun (which is one of the bases for Bruce Lee's martial arts techniques) is traditionally believed to have been created by a woman.

-The Gneech :cool:

Gez

First Post
Klaus said:
The Greek legend of the Amazons is supposed to have a historical root (probably a polis whose men were slain in combat and the women had to take up arms to defend it).

The basis was very probably the Scythians. Their culture was quite interesting, actually. Women fought along the men (until they became mothers, at least), and their shamans were crossdressers.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Klaus said:
The celts had a warrior queen (there was even a book about her, but I can't remember the title).

Possibly Boudicca (an Iceni tribeswoman who almost kicked Roman butt in AD 61), but also Medb, Aife, Scathach, and Cartimandua, as well. Apparently, Queen Zenobia of Palmyra was quite a character, herself, and one I was only just now acquainted with when searching for "women warriors".

The Greek legend of the Amazons is supposed to have a historical root (probably a polis whose men were slain in combat and the women had to take up arms to defend it).

The Scythians might well have been the origins of the Amazon legends - trained in battle like the men, cutting one breast off to fight better, etc.

lukelightning

First Post
I don't mind some gender-role sexism in a game; not a power discrepancy but rather cultural ideas (which varies from place to place) about things like "only women weild scimitars" or "sorcery is a male profession, women should be wizards" "fireballs are macho, lightning bolts are girly" things like that.

Wik

First Post
You could always do as Robert Jordan, and make females better arcane casters (and make it so that men suffer some sort of drawback when casting).

In my drasconis campaign I've been slowly stitching together for when STAP ends, I wanted a little bit of RP sexism in the game. Women can vote, have equal rights in the law, and so on (it only makes sense; the draconic "senators" are somewhat matriarchal, and that'd pass on to the mortals that follow 'em).

However, there is something of a gender divide in religion, with men and women attending seperate monasteries (the women are traditionally "the brides of God", although they are now more sage-like and wizardly versions of clerics). Dwarves are going to be patriarchal, as will most of the "non-civilized" parts of the empire (and maybe even a few parts of the empire, far from the reach of the Senators' claws).

S'mon

Legend
Henry said:
Possibly Boudicca (an Iceni tribeswoman who almost kicked Roman butt in AD 61), but also Medb, Aife, Scathach, and Cartimandua, as well. Apparently, Queen Zenobia of Palmyra was quite a character, herself, and one I was only just now acquainted with when searching for "women warriors".

The lack of female leaders in the Rome Total War (and other Total War) computer games is something I find very irritating, my wife even moreso.

Conversely, I dislike 'absolutely no sex-role differentiation' fantasy settings, what here is called 'no sexism' settings, unless the creators have made some effort to think through the implications, which is rarely the case. So from what I know of Blue Rose and Eberron, I'd prefer Blue Rose.

Solarious

Explorer
Well, it depends. If a woman was a Wizard and her husband was a hardworking blacksmith-Magewight, it's obvious the Wizard goes off to war more often than the Magewight, especially since the Magewight is much better suited to producing more (magic) weapons/armor/supplies for the war effort. Magic is indeed the great equalizer, because mystical forces are completely blind to gender and any physical differences. And if you don't believe magic doesn't run Khorvaire, the Dragonmarked Houses want to talk to 'ya.

Besides, in Eberron, you have House Jorasco, their products, Clerics, Adepts, and Gleaners. With medicinal techniques rivalling that of our present day, including the presence of instantaneous healing (not that people will be neccessarily able to afford it), the death rate is definitely lower than just about any pre-mordern era society in our history.

If you want an example of sexism though, look at the Dhakaan Empire. Only female hobgoblins may be dirge-singers, although the Empire also divvied up castes by species as well. Of course, the Empire suffered greatly from a lack of magics outside of bardic traditions, and especially from the absence of divine magics (caused by their athiest beliefs), and thus healing. It was quoted to be one of the contributing factors that allowed it to crumble after the Daelkyr invasion.

So... yeah. :)

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
Wik said:
You could always do as Robert Jordan, and make females better arcane casters (and make it so that men suffer some sort of drawback when casting).

This isn't the way I remember it.

Male Channelers are LEAGUES more powerful than females. Women can link power easier, but men are way, way, way more individually powerful. Men do have the going insane drawback however.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads