• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Eberron versus Multiverse

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Supporter
But... Gods could exist in Eberron, but they just don't stick their dirty fingers into the mix and give it a swirl. I don't think it really says one way or the other. Right?

At least, not as far as I've gotten in the book.

Mirtek

Hero
On page 232, Eberron Rising says as fact: "The three progenitor wyrms recreated the elves found throughout the multiverse and placed them in their new world, beyond the reach of Corellon."

The polytheistic gods of the Forgotten Realms officially exist in Eberron. The god Corellon officially exists in Eberron. The Corellon-spawn elves officially exist in Eberron. The elves on the planet of Eberron are recreated duplicates of the Corellon-spawn elves. Officially.
Yes, but Corellon did not first spawn them on Toril.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
But... Gods could exist in Eberron, but they just don't stick their dirty fingers into the mix and give it a swirl. I don't think it really says one way or the other. Right?

Is that... sensible? I mean, really. How many centuries of history does the world have? All of the gods have just not bothered? ALL OF THEM have just not ever bothered? A whole world of potential worshipers they could have, but... choose not to of their own volition? All of them make that same choice, and have for the entire history of the world?

Does that make sense, for gods? Does that match their behavior pretty much anywhere else in the multiverse?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Is that... sensible? I mean, really. How many centuries of history does the world have? All of the gods have just not bothered? ALL OF THEM have just not ever bothered? A whole world of potential worshipers they could have, but... choose not to of their own volition? All of them make that same choice, and have for the entire history of the world?

Does that make sense, for gods? Does that match their behavior pretty much anywhere else in the multiverse?

I mean, there are Clerics worshipping the gods, including casting Commune spells. It's just more subtle than the standard Hercules & Xena approach in D&D, with no gods punching each other physically. Gods as metaphysical realities.

ChaosOS

Legend
Rising from the Last War said:
In your campaign, you might decide that the barrier formed by the Ring of Siberys is intact, and contact between Eberron and the worlds and planes beyond its cosmology is impossible. This is the default assumption of this book. On the other hand, you might want to incorporate elements from other realms. Perhaps you want to use a published adventure that involves Tiamat or the forces of the Abyss meddling in the affairs of the world. In such a case, it could be that the protection offered by the Ring of Siberys has begun to fail. You might link the weakening of Siberys to the Mourning — perhaps whatever magical catastrophe caused the Mourning also disrupted the Ring of Siberys, or perhaps a disruption of the Ring of Siberys actually caused the Mourning!

This is the relevant quote. The point is that (if you so choose), the gods haven't been able to meddle until the last 4 years since the Mourning created a hole.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I mean, there are Clerics worshipping the gods, including casting Commune spells.

Now, we have to be careful - there are no clerics in Eberron giving worship to Corellon Larethian, by name, right?

So, there are clerics giving worship to some things. And they get spells and answers and all that. But, we do not actually know what entities are answering those prayers, or if any entity is.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth (he/him)
Eberron scholars are unsure -- and have no way to discover -- whether the Eberron deities (Sovereign Host, Dark Six...) have a real existence or if their follower just power their spells out of their own faith. They know that the Silver Flame physically exist, but can debate, as far as I understand, whether the Silver Flame is a godlike thing or just a Couatl-created magical creature.

The physical existence of FR (or Greyhawk, or Greek) gods somewhere in the multiverse doesn't impact the rightness or wrongness of the Eberron scholars, since they are not debating about these gods (whom they have no way to even learn the name), they're debating about the Eberron gods and worship.

In my opinion, the claim that Aureon, Balinor or the Traveller are real isn't validated by the existence of Cyric in an unreachable part of the multiverse. And the claim that the same gods don't exist isn't proved wrong by the said existence of Cyric...
You misunderstand my post in two ways. First, I wasn’t talking about the beliefs of Eberron scholars. I was talking about the beliefs of PCs that players might play in a game set in Eberron. Second, I wasn’t talking about the particular question of whether the gods of Eberron exist, but rather whether gods exist in general.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Is that... sensible? I mean, really. Eberron Timeline All of the gods have just not bothered? ALL OF THEM have just not ever bothered? A whole world of potential worshipers they could have, but... choose not to of their own volition? All of them make that same choice, and have for the entire history of the world?

Eberron timeline.
Age of Dragons Date: Unknown
Age of Demons Date: -10,000,000 YK
The Present: Your Adventure Begins... 998YK.

It has many centuries & I skipped a ton of stuff on the timeline. Eberron Has something called
THE DRACONIC PROPHECY
There are patterns hidden in the world. Secrets lie in the conjunctions of the planes and moons, in strange symbols formed by the flowing lava of a volcanic eruption or the fissures caused by an earthquake. Carved in the walls of ancient citadels and on primeval megaliths, knot patterns appear to have meaning that only the contemplative mind can hope to comprehend. To those who can read them, these myriad events and signs form a map of possible futures, a map that can be used to shape the course of history.

Scholars call this map the Draconic Prophecy, attributing it to the Progenitor Dragons: Eberron, Siberys, and Khyber. The Prophecy is vast and complex, its signs scattered across the world. Few humans or even elves have the time or resources to unravel its secrets. The foremost students of the Prophecy are ancient dragons, immortal fiends, and others who have devoted thousands of years to this work.

What makes the Prophecy especially complex is that it doesn't define a singular path for the future. Rather,
the Prophecy is a map that shows many possible futures, along with the steps that must occur to make that future a reality. A fragment of the Prophecy might say, "If the Bear King is slain by a sorrowful assassin in the Shadow of the Mourning, the Crown will fall from his nation." The "Bear King" could refer to King Boranel of Breland, since the bear is Breland's heraldic beast. The "Shadow of the Mourning" could mean that Boranel must be slain in the Mournland, or it could mean that the assassination must occur on the anniversary of the Mourning. This passage doesn't say that Boranel will be assassinated or that the Brelish monarchy will fall; it suggests that if Boranel is assassinated under these conditions, then the monarchy will surely fall. But it could also be fulfilled in different ways, if the terms of the Prophecy are interpreted differently. Other fragments of the Prophecy might cover what happens if Boranel is assassinated under other circumstances, or what happens if he dies of natural causes.

As an adventurer, you could be hired by a scholar trying to piece together a fragment of the Prophecy and clash with a secret society along the way. Or you could discover that your family plays a pivotal role in a fragment of the Prophecy. Will you embrace this or fight your potential destiny? Will you dedicate your life to interpreting the Prophecy or ignore it as just a bunch of mystical nonsense? And might the Prophecy hold the answer to the Mourning itself?

Einstein said that God doesn't play dice... If they exist in eberron,... they don't need to bother with their dirty fingers because they are busy unraveling The Prophecy & influencing it through subtle means. FR doesn't have anything like The Prophecy so you see Pelor getting into bar fights in Waterdeep & such.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Now, we have to be careful - there are no clerics in Eberron giving worship to Corellon Larethian, by name, right?

So, there are clerics giving worship to some things. And they get spells and answers and all that. But, we do not actually know what entities are answering those prayers, or if any entity is.

Sure, but we don't "know" that they aren't, either. It's agnostic as written, bit running the game with the Sovereign Host being quite real is more than viable based on the text.

Remove ads