• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Eberron versus Multiverse

Tallifer

Hero
I know almost nothing about the Forgotten Realms.

However, my campaign in Eberron has real gods who can create ice cream dinosaurs if they want. I simply base my fantasy roleplaying off of our own world's countless mythologies where divine and supernatural forces were considered real by the storytellers until modern times.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The polytheistic gods of the Forgotten Realms officially exist in Eberron.

Techncially, no - you've got the superset and the subset wrong. The polytheistic gods of the multiverse exist in the multiverse, but not all gods are everywhere in that multiverse.

Eberron exists within the multiverse, but none of the gods reach into that corner of the multiverse.

Morrus exists. He does not exist in my house. He is many many miles away, across an ocean. If I walked away from EN World, Morrus' existence would mean nothing to me whatsoever. He would completely fail to, say, ruin my Thanksgiving dinner though his mere existence some place far, far away.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
Techncially, no - you've got the superset and the subset wrong. The polytheistic gods of the multiverse exist in the multiverse, but not all gods are everywhere in that multiverse.

Eberron exists within the multiverse, but none of the gods reach into that corner of the multiverse.

Morrus exists. He does not exist in my house. He is many many miles away, across an ocean. If I walked away from EN World, Morrus' existence would mean nothing to me whatsoever. He would completely fail to, say, ruin my Thanksgiving dinner though his mere existence some place far, far away.
Excellent point. I actually find the idea of infinite existences with ever-increasing levels of power and influence unbelievably intriguing.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage

In Eberron the existence of gods was uncertain.

However 5e destroyed Eberron by making the existence of gods factually certain.

MarkB

Legend

But still, the mere fact that he could, if he made the effort to do so, turn up on our doorstep is a disturbing thought to those of us who prefer to think of him as a semi-mythical being who may or may not actually be true.

ChaosOS

Legend
This may betray my stance vis a vis planescape, but the multiverse deities are nothing like the divinity that Eberron denies. Eberron has creatures with portfolios and divine ranks - the demonic overlords! The difference is that FR deities are generally more powerful (double digit divine ranks as opposed to 5-7). So uh, even if they exist in another piece of the multiverse, that's not even breaking the understanding of divine power.

TL;DR OP you're being very weird about your definition of what counts as a deity

I’m not familiar with Eberron, but I can see how something like this can be problematic. If the idea of the setting is that it’s a place where it’s unknown whether there are gods that exist or not, then having them actually exist kind of ruins the setting because it makes anyone who thinks they don’t exist wrong because they are ignorant of reality.

Eberron scholars are unsure -- and have no way to discover -- whether the Eberron deities (Sovereign Host, Dark Six...) have a real existence or if their follower just power their spells out of their own faith. They know that the Silver Flame physically exist, but can debate, as far as I understand, whether the Silver Flame is a godlike thing or just a Couatl-created magical creature.

The physical existence of FR (or Greyhawk, or Greek) gods somewhere in the multiverse doesn't impact the rightness or wrongness of the Eberron scholars, since they are not debating about these gods (whom they have no way to even learn the name), they're debating about the Eberron gods and worship.

In my opinion, the claim that Aureon, Balinor or the Traveller are real isn't validated by the existence of Cyric in an unreachable part of the multiverse. And the claim that the same gods don't exist isn't proved wrong by the said existence of Cyric...

I know almost nothing about the Forgotten Realms.

However, my campaign in Eberron has real gods who can create ice cream dinosaurs if they want. I simply base my fantasy roleplaying off of our own world's countless mythologies where divine and supernatural forces were considered real by the storytellers until modern times.
I'm sorry, but what.

I don't mean to come off as hostile, but I'm curious on how you went from baseline Eberron to the Sovereigns and Six playing Yu-Gi-Oh with ice cream dinosaurs.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
In Eberron the existence of gods was uncertain.

Yes, and IN EBERRON the existence of gods is still uncertain, regardless of what Rising says about connections to the multiverse and those gods.

Joe Shmoe House Verdasco Halfling still has NO inkling of any greater multiverse, nor do any other PC's or characters in the fictional world that is Eberron.

Remove ads