ECL +0 race

Skarp Hedin

First Post
I was looking to make an ECL +0 version of the gnoll race for my campaign, and this is what I came up with. My question is: Does it seem reasonable as an ECL +0 race, and if not, what should I change about it to fix that?

Racial Abilities:

· +2 Strength, -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma: Gnolls are strong, but are not well-suited to intellectual pursuits
· Medium-size
· Gnoll base speed is 30 feet.
· +2 racial bonus on Listen and Spot checks
· Darkvision up to 60 feet
· Proficient with battleaxe or greataxe; proficient with short bow, longbow, composite longbow, and composite shortbow. Gnolls are trained from an early age in their tribal weapons.
· Languages: Gnoll, Goblin, Orcish, Trade
· Favored Class: Ranger

haiiro

First Post
Ruvion said:
This stat reminds me of the Half-Orc for some reason...an unshafted Half-Orc! :D

I agree with Ruvion. If you decide to implement this ECL 0 gnoll, you'd have to tweak the half-orc a little bit. As it stands, the gnoll has everything half-orc has, plus it gets a feat (Alertness) and some free weapon proficiencies.

Since I think the half-orc needs a bit of a boost anyway, I don't see any major problems with this ECL 0 gnoll.

Skarp Hedin

First Post
Ahh, that's a good point. I hadn't considered the half-orc at all, since there haven't been any in my campaign yet.

I was using the elf as a semi-guideline when I looked at an example of an ECL +0 race, though I also looked at dwarves and gnomes.

Still, the half-orc always did seem a bit underpowered, so if it comes up, I'll monkey some with the race, I think.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Here's what I'd do:

- +2 Strength, -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma: Gnolls are strong, but are not well-suited to intellectual pursuits
- Medium-size
- Gnoll base speed is 30 feet.
- Bonus Feat: Toughness: Gnolls have slightly more HP than other humanoids.
- +2 racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently: Gnolls prefer to ambush their foes
- Low-Light Vision: Gnolls often hunt by moonlight
- Languages: Gnoll, Goblin, Orcish, Sylvan, Trade
- Favored Class: Ranger

-- Nifft

SylverFlame

First Post
Let them be able to take the scent feat. If you read Slayer's Guide: Gnolls, it all makes sense. A really good book in and of itself.

Maximillian

First Post
As previously used in my first 3e campaign, an alternate +0 ECL Gnoll (But then, I've always got an alternative, don't I?):

- Medium Size
- Speed 30ft
- +2 Wisdom, +2 Dexterity, -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma; Gnolls are more aware of their surroundings than ofter humanoid species, and have natural flexibility and reflexes. However, they are uneducated and selfish by nature.
- +2 Racial Bonus on spot and listen checks.
- Scent: Gnolls may expend a feat to gain the scent ability as explained in the Monster Manual.
- Automatic Languages: Gnoll and Common
- Favored Class: Ranger

The race doesn't gain a whole lot, but its ability scores are slightly unbalanced (as per the DMG's suggestion), and Scent is a potent ability, even for the expenditure of a feat. I think that this gnoll is a far cry from the MM Gnoll, but it's certainly an interesting creation. One of our gaming group's most beloved characters played a gnoll using this model for a very long time. Ser Getor Gremor (Roughly: Gremor of seven arrows), a Ranger/Druid and master tracker.

Remove ads