Edge Announced It Will Be Making Star Wars RPGs....

Edge, a sister company to Fantasy Flight Games under the Asmodee Group, has just announced that it will be producing the Star Wars RPGs FFG originally produced. Fantasy Flight Games have produced Edge of the Empire, and various other Star Wars RPGs over the last decade or so, but folded its RPG department in favor of sister company Edge last year.

Of course, they announced this at GAMA trade show in March 2020. But here's the re-announcement, for those who didn't hear the first time round!

Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 12.10.23 AM.png

Edge Studio to Create Star Wars Roleplaying Games
2021/10/15
Edge Studio is proud to announce that it will be producing roleplaying games set in the famous galaxy far, far away. Edge, as a part of the Asmodee Group, is now an official licensee of Star Wars™ Roleplaying.

“We are really excited with the opportunity of working on one of the most beloved IP in the world,” Gilles Garnier, the head of Edge Studio, said. “We want to follow in the footsteps of FFG’s fantastic work over the years, while bringing our own vision of what a Star Wars™ RPG should be.”

Edge will be exploring some of the many eras of Star Wars, revisiting old classics while venturing into the exciting new frontiers of this setting. The studio looks forward to building on the legacy begun with Fantasy Flight games, who launched the wildly successful Star Wars roleplaying game Edge of the Empire. Sam Gregor-Stewart, the former lead developer on Edge of the Empire and now the RPG Manager for Edge Studios, said that he is looking forward to revisiting the Star Wars™ galaxy.

Star Wars has always been one of my favorite settings, ever since I was a kid,” Sam said. “I loved my time working on the game lines Edge of the Empire, Age of Rebellion, and Force and Destiny. Now, with Edge, I’m really thrilled to have a chance to try something new! I hope we can create something fresh for our fans, while at the same time creating something that is going to awaken the same passion for Star Wars™ in a new generation that I felt growing up.”

With the licensing deal reached, Edge is also working to ensure reprints of existing Star Wars™Roleplaying products will be available to fans around the world. For more information on reprints and for other news on upcoming Star Wars™ products, be sure to follow Edge Studio on social media and on their website, as the website is expanded and enhanced in the coming months.

Last edited:

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
As a fan of the FFG games I'm not really liking what I'm seeing from Edge so far. I'll wait until I hear more, but I'm not seeing much to indicate a commitment to the games I love.

Happy to see the reprints. Not really liking the tenor of their discussion around either Star Wars or L5R.

R_J_K75

Legend
Now this studio has a lot on its plate... Midnight RPG, Twilight Imperium (Genesys) RPG, Legend of the Five Rings (and a 5E version), and now Star Wars? It's a lot of stuff to juggle!
I just looked at their website within the last few days wondering if there were any updates on the Midnight CS. When I saw it was still nothing more than a place holder page I gave up hope that it would ever come out. Looks like I was wrong. Im assuming we'll get an update on that as well soon.

Staffan

Legend
I am absolutely fine buying a rule book and a setting book. It is buying the same content multiple times that irritates me. And NWOD is only the most recent example. D&D has been making a rulebook set and specific setting books for ever. Imagine if you had to buy a PHB every time you picked up a new setting book?
If it was a PHB custom-modified to work better with that setting, with a different set of classes and written to use that setting's assumptions? Yes, I'd like that.

Looking over the Age of Rebellion core book, I'd estimate that the amount of repeated material from Edge of the Empire is about 50%. I would estimate that the amount of repeated material in Force & Destiny is smaller, because of its greater focus on Force-relevant stuff. So you could either have:

1. A core book that's about half the size, and not enough to play the game on its own (or about 2/3 the size to include bland careers and such), which then gets supplemented by campaign style books that are also about half the size. Because of economies of scale, a book of about half the size probably costs about 3/4 of the price. This would also necessitate using two books most of the time at the table.

2. A default of one campaign style, and reducing the others to add-ons to that. So you'd have either Edge or Age as the core book, and if you wanted to play the other you'd need the campaign style sourcebook which, again, would be about half the size and 3/4 the price. And again, if you wanted to run the other campaign style, you'd need to keep referencing two books.

Plus, if you either had a merged game or Edge + addons, we wouldn't have gotten Operation: Shadowpoint, aka the best damn adventure ever.

I like the idea of books with focus/lenses on the different era's or styles. But completely different core books? I didn't like that. Subtle differences, while I normally just ignore, would be tripping us up all to often.
I don't think there are any subtle differences between the different games. The skill lists have slight differences, they come with different careers and specializations (and to some degree talents, to support those), and different lists of gear, vehicles, opposition, and such. The main things that are different are the campaign-specific rules: Obligation, Duty, and Morality work a lot differently, but that's not a subtle difference that will trip you up. A TIE/ln starfighter will have the same stats in either game, it's just that in Age you also have stats for TIE interceptors, TIE defenders, and TIE bombers.

The one place where the "runtime" rules work differently is when using the Force. In Edge and Age, white pips on a Force die generate Force points (which you then use to activate and enhance force powers), and black ones don't. But in Force & Destiny, characters have the option to call upon the dark side and get Force points for the black pips instead, but this pushes them toward the dark side.

I have an odd request: I'd like Edge to sneak in an in-world affirmation of the existance of multiple Star Wars timelines. In a similar way that the Marvel Multiverse and DC Multiverse contain multiple timelines, which can actually be visited. And how the Kelvin Timeline is known (in-world) to exist alongside the Prime Timeline of Star Trek.
This is a really cool concept, but if they were to push the concept of different timelines the RPG would not be the place to introduce it.

Maybe I'm a cynic, but I get the vibe there's going to be two SW RPGs. Reprints of the FFG material to hold fans over until EDGE decides whether or not to make a completely new game.
That's the vibe I'm getting from the press release as well. Could be a whole new game, or could be a second edition (either of all three game lines, or a merged version).

stadi

Explorer
It is indeed news to me, that this will be a new edition. I might be even getting it if it looks right. I do prefer adventures and big campaigns to setting / source books, so I hope we'll be getting those with the new edition. The FFG version did not have a lot of adventured and no "big" campaigns.

If I want, there is a Star Wars multiverse with parallalel timelines in my tabletop game, and among other reasons, to avoid players could foresee what is going to happen in the future.

If there is a new Rokugan d20 then a new Star Wars d20 is possible, but I doubt this as system of the main line.

TwiceBorn2

Adventurer
I just looked at their website within the last few days wondering if there were any updates on the Midnight CS. When I saw it was still nothing more than a place holder page I gave up hope that it would ever come out. Looks like I was wrong. Im assuming we'll get an update on that as well soon.

A recent post on the Edge Facebook page stated that the release of Midnight had been postponed until summer 2022 due to all the global shipping woes. They have provided semi-regular updates and interior page/art samples.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
I've reached a point where I am just done with buying the next new version of the old thing. I have a complete collection of the current system, which I love and happy to continue using. So unless this new version is completely compatible (and not require conversion or interpretation to utilize), I'm fine if they go ahead without me. No thanks.

Also, I have ZERO interest in another d20/5e version of Star Wars. Or whatever revised edition of 5e D&D is coming, for that matter. I have Starfinder to scratch that particular itch.

95753041_248372803210797_9190446302167564288_o.jpg

Von Ether

Legend
I've reached a point where I am just done with buying the next new version of the old thing. I have a complete collection of the current system, which I love and happy to continue using. So unless this new version is completely compatible (and not require conversion or interpretation to utilize), I'm fine if they go ahead without me. No thanks.

Also, I have ZERO interest in another d20/5e version of Star Wars. Or whatever revised edition of 5e D&D is coming, for that matter. I have Starfinder to scratch that particular itch.

View attachment 145324
And there's already Esper Genesis for 5e fans.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases