Edge Announced It Will Be Making Star Wars RPGs....

Edge, a sister company to Fantasy Flight Games under the Asmodee Group, has just announced that it will be producing the Star Wars RPGs FFG originally produced. Fantasy Flight Games have produced Edge of the Empire, and various other Star Wars RPGs over the last decade or so, but folded its RPG department in favor of sister company Edge last year.

Of course, they announced this at GAMA trade show in March 2020. But here's the re-announcement, for those who didn't hear the first time round!

Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 12.10.23 AM.png

Edge Studio to Create Star Wars Roleplaying Games
2021/10/15
Edge Studio is proud to announce that it will be producing roleplaying games set in the famous galaxy far, far away. Edge, as a part of the Asmodee Group, is now an official licensee of Star Wars™ Roleplaying.

“We are really excited with the opportunity of working on one of the most beloved IP in the world,” Gilles Garnier, the head of Edge Studio, said. “We want to follow in the footsteps of FFG’s fantastic work over the years, while bringing our own vision of what a Star Wars™ RPG should be.”

Edge will be exploring some of the many eras of Star Wars, revisiting old classics while venturing into the exciting new frontiers of this setting. The studio looks forward to building on the legacy begun with Fantasy Flight games, who launched the wildly successful Star Wars roleplaying game Edge of the Empire. Sam Gregor-Stewart, the former lead developer on Edge of the Empire and now the RPG Manager for Edge Studios, said that he is looking forward to revisiting the Star Wars™ galaxy.

Star Wars has always been one of my favorite settings, ever since I was a kid,” Sam said. “I loved my time working on the game lines Edge of the Empire, Age of Rebellion, and Force and Destiny. Now, with Edge, I’m really thrilled to have a chance to try something new! I hope we can create something fresh for our fans, while at the same time creating something that is going to awaken the same passion for Star Wars™ in a new generation that I felt growing up.”

With the licensing deal reached, Edge is also working to ensure reprints of existing Star Wars™Roleplaying products will be available to fans around the world. For more information on reprints and for other news on upcoming Star Wars™ products, be sure to follow Edge Studio on social media and on their website, as the website is expanded and enhanced in the coming months.

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
At first, I was bothered about some of the content being repeated.

However, as time went on, I found that having some of the basic info repeated was actually very helpful in terms of sharing books with a group. For simple rules questions, anyone could pick up any of the books and get an answer.

huh? This is a good point.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I dont understand why this is news. I clearly remember hearing last year about Edge taking over the Star Wars RPG. This reissue of the press release seems like a way to cover the fact that they haven't made any significant progress since then.

Staffan

Legend
I dont understand why this is news. I clearly remember hearing last year about Edge taking over the Star Wars RPG. This reissue of the press release seems like a way to cover the fact that they haven't made any significant progress since then.
As I recall, the press release last year was "We've moved all the RPG stuff out from Fantasy Flight Games into Edge Studios", but didn't say anything about future plans – and since all three Star Wars lines were sort of complete (core book, one splat per career) and they had started to publish the type of compilation books you normally do late in a game's life cycle, the future of the games was uncertain. This press release confirms that there's more coming, though it's still a bit hazy whether it's just more product for the previous games, a new edition of the same game, or a completely new game.

aramis erak

Legend
Yep, The One Ring and Adventures in Middle Earth (for 5e) were both really strong lines.
The AIME players book sucked more than a shop-vac.
Writing and layout were sub-par by C7 standards.
No one in my local area seems to be running it... or, at least, not admitting it.
... and the last copy at my FLGS seems to have left the shelf in the last 2 weeks.

stadi

Explorer
No one in my local area seems to be running it... or, at least, not admitting it.
... and the last copy at my FLGS seems to have left the shelf in the last 2 weeks.
I liked Adventures in Middle-earth a lot. The artwork was great, and although there are better layouts out there, it was totally fine (I am very critical regarding layout, there are cases where a product is a no-go for me if the layout is not professional / nice enough). I am sad I did not buy them in print when they were still available. I can't stand the artwork in The One Ring 2E, so I assume AIME 2E will look similar.

Well, if that is what you think, then I think your views can be discounted on other matters here too.

The AiME line is currently out of print. Try buying a copy online these days, and you can get an impression of how much people think it is worth.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Well, if that is what you think, then I think your views can be discounted on other matters here too.

The AiME line is currently out of print. Try buying a copy online these days, and you can get an impression of how much people think it is worth.
and it is worth noting that it went out of print due to a change in license holders, not commercial issues.

aramis erak

Legend

3 AIME LMB's and 2 PB's sat unsold for > 2 years at my FLGS. I've seen some on shelves in other game stores, too... So it wasn't moving all that well in Oregon. No one I have met in Oregon admits to liking it.

TrainedMunkee

Explorer
I don't live in OR, but I did buy both lines, pretty much every book. My D&D group enjoyed AiME, but that group dissolved during COVID. Looking forward to 2e of both. Backed One Ring, so I have the PDFs. Will probably do the same with AiME 2e.

I have a pretty huge collection of FFG SW books and will support a new version also most likely. I have supported every SW RPG so far at least, lol.

You should probably buy those unused copies of AiME. You could make a great profit. They are going for 200+ on Amazon

1634595059184.png

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases