D&D 4E Edition Experience - Did/Do You Play 4th Edition D&D? How Was/Is it?

How Did/Do You Feel About 4th Edition D&D

• I'm playing it right now; I'll have to let you know later.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm playing it right now and so far, I don't like it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Status
Not open for further replies.
This reminded me of what I forgot to mention. The original DM for the campaign I took over started everyone at 8th level. So I was stuck running high level 4e, and it felt like my issues were only exacerbated as the PCs got more and more powerful.

In hindsight, I should've insisted on everyone starting at first level, but folks wanted to use the characters they had.

Oh, I do have one good thing to say for 4e. The Dawn War Pantheon is my favorite generic set of deities. For homebrews, I will almost always use it, to this day.

Will admit that fights got bogged down at later level. I like the feeling around level 5-7 when you got two dailies and then two Encounters to work with.

atanakar

Hero
About the only thing that came out of 4E that I enjoy (in moderation) is the board games - Wrath of Asherdarlon, etc.

I have all the boardgames. For the price, the tiles and minis are really useful in regular games. I do enjoy a boardgames session once in a while. My wife and I do a head-to-head format. We each have three characters. We make a large dungeon of 10 x 10 tiles and place 3 treasures on the center line. The team with the most treasures brought back at their starting point wins. There are random monsters and traps on the board. We used to play Mage Knight Dungeons by Wizkids (2002).

MGibster

Legend
I meant that we were okay with World of Warcraft having an influence on sitcoms, card games, and comic books... but not D&D. At the time, it felt like there was a lot of outrage over D&D having anything at all in common with WoW.

There's influence and then there's influence. If WotC had gotten rid of half-orcs in favoring of making orcs a regular playable race I would have seen that as an influence of games like WoW and the Elder Scrolls. And of course it's easy to watch a fun show revolving around people who play an MMORPG, or a comic set in that universe, etc., etc. I believe the key problem is that some of us didn't want to feel like we were playing an MMORPG when we were playing D&D. I could just go play WoW for that.

I ran a 5 year campaign in 4E which went from level 1 to level 30 (we did skip levels twice... I pulled everyone up to 11 from 8-10, and I pulled everyone up to 30 from 24-26).

The campaign started up right after the passing of Gary Gygax. It was a return to D&D for a lot of my players who were absent from the hobby for a while... along with an introduction to the hobby for a couple brand new players.

It was a fun campaign, but more because of the people playing than the game itself.

Once we got to late heroic to mid paragon and beyond, the game-play started getting more time consuming and onerous than I was comfortable with and I started reaching burn out.

It was the impetus for me rediscovering the classic versions via the OSR and getting back to my roots.

A different marketing approach might have been helpful here, I suppose. Perhaps if they had been up-front about it and embraced the influence of WoW, instead of trying to hide (and later deny) it, they might have turned this comparison into a strength rather than a weakness? I dunno. I'm not a marketing expert, nor am I a fan of MMORPGs, but looking back this seems like a missed opportunity.
While 4e itself may be highly controversial, even years later. . .I do think there at least is a consensus that it was a total failure at marketing.

Kurotowa

Legend
I really liked the lore and world for 4e. It put an interesting new spin on a lot of very familiar D&D elements. The mechanics I was far less impressed my. My groups tend to be Theater Of The Mind types, not using battlemats and with many players having pretty limited tactical engagement with the game. Then comes 4e and those player skills are pretty much mandatory. Combat was painfully slow as players tried to grapple with all the options and no one was having much fun. Our one campaign didn't last long and no one was eager to try again.

The legends of the fallen empires of Bael Turath, Nerath, the giants' enslavement of the dwarves, all those background details were pretty great, and provided some great hooks for DMs to use.

Combat, especially for a system that on-paper was very much geared towards it, was so darn slow. And if a combat went long enough that people ran out of the encounter and daily powers, then it somehow would become even slower and more tedious.

I really liked the lore and world for 4e. It put an interesting new spin on a lot of very familiar D&D elements. The mechanics I was far less impressed my. My groups tend to be Theater Of The Mind types, not using battlemats and with many players having pretty limited tactical engagement with the game. Then comes 4e and those player skills are pretty much mandatory. Combat was painfully slow as players tried to grapple with all the options and no one was having much fun. Our one campaign didn't last long and no one was eager to try again.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Played it the entire run. My enjoyment of the game was a downward slope and by the end I quit playing rather than play 4e anymore. I didn't go in hating it, but in the end its my least favorite version of D&D.

PROs
-The original online character builder was AWESOME and everyone in my group had a subscription. I had fun just designing characters. The later version was not as awesome but still much better than anything for 5e.

-If I wanted to play a boardgame that was a tactical dungeon crawl then 4e would be the best ever designed.

-I liked the role/powersource grid AND the different monster roles.

-Much easier to run as a GM than 3.X

-I liked the adventures and how they came with battlemats. I never ran one but bought every one I could find just for the maps and monsters.

CONs
-Trying to remember 12 different "until the end of your next turn" effects and exactly when they started, ended, and who they were on. At least once a round the GM would have to "undo" something because we forgot to apply a condition.

-The lack of linking crunch to anything besides fighting. The moment I decided I didn't like 4e was when I wanted to make a character that did everything well but fight. There are almost no powers that are useful outside of combat.

-Combats, even with minions, took entirely too long. A game night might consist of two inconsequential combats that don't advance the plot and poof your 4-hour block is gone.

All I'm saying is, a lot of people thought there was too much MMORPG influence in 4th Edition. I can neither confirm nor deny, since I don't play them. But I always thought it was a weird thing to complain about: even if it was, why did that have to be an automatic negative?

Oh I don't deny lots of people said it. Lots of people say a lot of things. But in a simple factual sense, it was not a valid claim. There was virtually no "MMORPG influence" in 4E. I asked people at the time to point out what they thought was WoW-influence or MMORPG-influence, because I was an active WoW player at the time, and someone who played MMOs since 1999 with EQ, I couldn't work out what the heck they meant.

And whilst I got a lot of angry, hate-filled responses, no-one ever specified anything except "WoW has roles, and 4E has roles, so 4E's roles are derived from WoW and like WoW are bad and dumb". Literally not a single other part of 4E's design was pointed to as WoW/MMORPG-influenced. Nor was anyone able to explain this further than "Well Defenders are exactly the same as Tanks..." or the like, which is patently false. They operate in completely different ways.

And that's it - roles. That's all they ever said.

And that's a ridiculous assertion, because roles had been around in wargames for decades. Fitting different kinds of troops into broad categories, or sometimes quite narrow categories, had been going on for years. It had also go on in other games, video and otherwise. Dividing ships or troops or classes into general categories has long been a thing. And in fact in RPGs it had happened before a ton in superhero RPGs (Brick, Blaster, Speedster, etc. - you could be a Brick in a million different ways - the key thing was just to be hard to kill and hit hard, for example). Hell, in 2E AD&D, in 1989, Warrior, Priest, Rogue, and Wizard were basically roles.

WoW had actually only relatively recently developed roles - in vanilla, the approach was that only Warriors were "real tanks", only Priests were "real healers" (notice what those match up exactly to? Yes it's 2E AD&D), and everything else was just kind of there (DPS as a role was a sort of vague concept). TBC, in 2007, changed this up so there were several classes which had "tank specs", and "healer specs", and "DPS specs". That's when roles actually started to be a thing. It wasn't until Cataclysm, in 2010, that they were clearly separated, too (they sorted of blended into each other prior to that). Cataclysm made them distinct "specs" - you were a Tank Warrior OR you were a DPS Warrior, instead of having points spread between the two, for example.

When 4E was in development, WoW didn't really have roles, except in a vague notional/theoretical way. 4E came out, what, six months after WoW acquired them (in a basic sense), and this caused people to link them, because these two big RPGs both had roles.

But 4E's roles didn't actually match up to those of WoW or other MMOs. 4E had Defender, Striker, Controller and Leader. People got as far as saying "Defender = Tank, Striker = DPS..." and then just sort of petered off. Some of them tried "Er.... Leader = Healer?" but even they could sense that was dubious at best. And Controller just didn't match at all.

Defenders actually didn't work like MMO Tanks of that era at all (or any earlier one).

In MMOs, Tanks stick enemies to them by making a magic number go up (originally referred to as "aggro"). Generally this is accompanied by hitting them for paltry amounts of damage that create inexplicably large amounts of threat, or using quasi-magical abilities that do likewise. The enemies just get sort of superglued to the tank in a very implausible way. My personal favourite for hilarity was the Paladin in Dark Age of Camelot, who healed the entire party for tiny amounts (imagine a Paladin who healed everyone within 30' for 1HP every other round), and the animation was a holy grail pouring golden sparks on the Paladin, so said the monsters were attracted to "Pally Butter Sauce".

Defenders, on the other hand, focused on preventing enemies from doing things, or threatening them with consequences if they did. It was a totally different paradigm, and one familiar to people who played tactical CRPGs/JRPGs. They also did good damage (something unheard of in MMO tanks of that era). There was no magical "aggro", and it played totally differently.

Strikers being DPS is kinda valid bit also meaningless, because the idea of a character who is "good at killing people" is hardly an original one.

Leaders being Healers was not terribly accurate - I saw a lot of people uncomfortable when they made this claim. They knew that 4E Leaders did a hell of a lot more than heal, and indeed, a lot of them didn't heal very much at all. In an MMO of that era (2007-2010, let's say), a healer did basically nothing in a normal party other than cast heals and maybe cure poisons/disease/similar on party members. They didn't typically fight at all, and generally out of, say, 60 seconds, 50 of them would spent either casting a heal, or waiting for mana to regen so they could cast more heals. Whereas in 4E, most healing had been pushed off on to Healing Surges, and every class had "Second Wind". Combat healing was rare and precise, and usually a mark that something had gone wrong. A Leader typically used 0-2 real healing abilities in a fight. Most of what leaders did was fight and buff - and by buff I include stuff like making others make extra attacks and so on.

Controllers were particularly interesting because they didn't match up to any extant role in MMOs of that era. Back in the very early days of MMOs, there were a number of classes referred to as "CC" (Crowd Control). In EQ, their job was to use abilities or spells on monsters to prevent them from acting for long periods of time. Usually a solid "mezz" or the like (mesmerize - equivalent to Hold Person in AD&D, but very long duration). However, by the time even original WoW rolled around in 2004, there were no "CC" classes any more - all classes had some "CC" abilities.

D&D 4E's controllers were a different take from either the original or later CC classes. They controlled by short-term stuff like area denial, area damage (wiping out minions particularly), difficult terrain, short-duration stuns, and a lot of movement stuff that no MMORPG had any truck for (but again, games like FF Tactics, used a huge amount). In MMO terms they were actually more like someone spec'd to be a massive jerk in PvP than anything else!

One game that genuinely did have some similar ideas to D&D 4E was the original Guild Wars, a weird hybrid game, which was single or small-scale multiplayer, and about managing a party with quite complex abilities (it was clearly inspired by M:tG in some ways), but I literally never heard anyone talk or complain about that.

So I mean, that's a lot of words, but it clears that up - there was no reasonable claim that 4E was "WoW-inspired". It was just a cheap insult, a meme that people repeated because people repeat memes (especially they did back then, when people were less savvy re: memes)..

As for your point re "How was that even an insult?", well, quite. But it was. And the reason was essentially that MMORPGs were seen as in competition with pen and paper RPGs. Here, in 2020, we can see that was drivel - that if anything, both feed each other. But at the time, everyone and their brother had a story of how WoW stole one of their players. And that's probably true, too! But what people saying that didn't realize was that was happening in every hobby practiced by younger people. Amateur sports players were disappearing into WoW. Other non-MMO video games were losing people to WoW. And so on. Why? Because was ridiculously time-consuming at that time, and could feel extremely addictive. I mean, I barely played pen and paper RPGs 2003-2004 because of them myself. And there was a hilarious perception that they were "dumbed down" versions of TT RPGs, which was nonsense on a variety of levels. So that's how that insult functioned.

Btw I keep saying "of that era" because it's pretty clear 4E did influence later MMOs a bit (Western ones, anyway - particularly Guild Wars 2).

Combat, especially for a system that on-paper was very much geared towards it, was so darn slow. And if a combat went long enough that people ran out of the encounter and daily powers, then it somehow would become even slower and more tedious.

This is kind of a complex issue, because it was actually as fast as or faster than 3.XE, especially how much time most groups spent nose-down in rules-books, or calculating the DC for three different parts of a single action or the like, in that edition, but it was drastically slower than 2E and the like (including your C&C). For me, coming from 3.XE, it didn't get to "deadly slow" until after about 13 when the interrupt/immediate action/reaction stuff got totally out of control.

One other issue is that it was apparently designed to be computer-managed. One of the big issues we had with 4E was managing initiative. It was extremely cool in that you could do clever stuff with adjusting your order in initiative and so on, but it had to be tracked quite elaborately (we used a stack of address cards or the like). Yet if you look at the original video of 4E, the DM seems to managing the more complex stuff on his PC via a program (they weren't called apps back then dammit!), and that just didn't happen. Had 4E actually had the digital tools it was supposed to, this might have been considerably improved. Unfortunately that all ended with a literal real-world murder that's best not gone into. So the digital tools never became what they were supposed to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads