D&D 5E Eight Abilities (Str-Con, Dex-Ath, Int-Per, Cha-Wis)

Yaarel

He Mage
Acuity was for arcane spells dc and to-hit because it allowed the caster to think faster, basically anyways. It was also one of the options for initiative.

Memory was akin to knowledge but also prepared spells. Also flat memory checks to recall important in game information or to spot incongruities.(Chance for DM's to give hints to something the party missed but was suppose to be obvious)

The stats are a form of hierarchy:
Self = Body + Ego
Body = Physique + Deft
Ego = Mind + Soul

Similarly, the eight comprise:

The physical abilities of being Tough and Agile

The mental abilities of being Social and Knowing

michaeljpastor

Adventurer
Just a random thought to play with, develop, or throw away...

What about combining or averaging the "extra"/new abilities?

Take Strength and Dexterity -take the average of the score or the average of the bonuses or combine the bonuses outright or however you think makes the most sense = your Athletics score/bonus.

Intelligence and Wisdom combine [however] to = your Perception score/bonus.
Steeldragon, I second that Emotion steeldragon : (Empathy/Sympathy) (Wis/Cha) or Emotional Intelligence (Int/Cha).

In Jungian typological thought you can create four mental functions by combining Perception (Senses/ideas) and/or Judgment (analyis/decisions) with Intro and Extra, resulting in Pi, Pe, Je, Ji.

Pe - sensing the world and generating ideas/hypothesis
Pi - recalling information and personal reaction, and crafting theory

Ji - empathizing and analyzing
Je - sympathysing and executing

Divide P and J once apiece again and you have 8 mental function-pairs.

I love Julian Mays Galactic Mileu psionics, but it has 5 independent psionic traits (with almost an overall Mentral Stength score ala Gamma World), a and if you read descriptions of Julian's psionics in action you can easily see how the spell affects by the characters are actually combinations of the five different poles.

So I'm a big fan of combining the classic 6 dnd stats into novel combinations for such things as skill checks and saving throws. Plus it allows Int to be useful for more than one thing just for casters

I love the four square symmetry disco dichotomies of my system (yes, that was a typo with disco, but I love the nickname and I'm sticking to it). .In my psionics system 100 points are distributed amongst a two- by-two square along two axis - Introverted / Extraverted on one. And Telempathic/Telekinetic on the other.

You can manually distribute the scores or choose or 1d4 randomly distribute the d100. I haven't settled on whether TmE/TmI/TkE/TkI are created by an 'Additive combo' or 'Average combo,' or both for different purposes. I initially created this system 15 years before I discovered Jung and Myers Briggs and was struck by the parallel structures.

Success or Failure depends on a d100 roll of whatever spell/effect you're attempting. High TmE additive means you can charm from a greater distance, but the strength of the your charming is the average combo of Tm and E. Oh, and spend skills points for tricks based on character level.

Just more untested hypothetical systems to compare.

Last edited:

michaeljpastor

Adventurer
Acuity was for arcane spells dc and to-hit because it allowed the caster to think faster, basically anyways. It was also one of the options for initiative.

Memory was akin to knowledge but also prepared spells. Also flat memory checks to recall important in game information or to spot incongruities.(Chance for DM's to give hints to something the party missed but was suppose to be obvious)

The stats are a form of hierarchy:
Self = Body + Ego
Body = Physique + Deft
Ego = Mind + Soul
i like yours as well

In my self/relationship color wheel there is

Self: Physical, Emotional, intellectual ( Red/Yellow/Blue )

Relationships :

Erotic/passionate (Violet)
Platonic (Green)
Passion/Erotic (Orange)
This is easily the best meant-to-be-a-joke-but-actually-works-pretty-well-holy-cow! game I ever picked up.

Back in my teenage years I made my own heartbreaker system called QuestMaster. I divided up Characteristics (innate ability, as opposed to learned ability which was measured by Skills) like this:
  • [BODY] Physical Characteristics
    • [STR] Strength (how much you are physically able to move)
    • [DEX] Dexterity (how precisely you can manipulate physical things)
    • [CON] Constitution (how resistant you are to physical interference)
  • [MIND] Mental Characteristics
    • [COG] Cognizance (how much information you are able to process at one time)
    • [SEN] Sense (how precisely you can process information)
    • [WIL] Willpower (how resistant you are to mental interference)
  • [SPIRIT] Magical Characteristics
    • [MAN] Mana (how much magical energy you can wield)
    • [POW] Power (how precisely you can manipulate magical energy)
    • [AUR] Aura (how resistant you are to magical interference)
  • [???] Social Characteristics
    • [ÉLN] Élan (how many people you are able to engage socially at once)
    • [CHA] Charm (how precisely you can manipulate people)
    • [INT] Intractability (how resistant you are to social interference)
I think I could never think of the right word for my idea of the fourth "area" of characteristic, that of social integration/manipulation. "SOUL" didn't seem correct

empathy/Sympathy? 'Pathy?

le Redoutable

Ich bin El Glouglou :)
and Buddhist's Holy Path with 8 Arms ( Sainte Voie aux Huit Membres )
intent ===> Mars
careness => Venus
speech ==> Mercurius
opinion ==> Saturn
energetic activity ==> Jupiter
concentration
effort
way of existence => Pluton
:p

Remove ads