D&D 5E Eldritch Knight 6, Wizard 2, Bard or Cleric or Sorcerer 1?

Zardnaar

Legend
So this abomination gets a level 3 spell dlot. Can I use the wizard ability to scribe level 3 wizard spells into the book?

RAW it seems you can.

When you find a wizard spell of 1st level or higher, you can add it to your spellbook if it is of a spell level you can prepare and if you can spare the time to decipher and copy it.
Class features are not written with the optional multiclassing in mind. But... this abomination can do whatever it wants.

Dragongrief

Explorer
At least in my copy, it specifies that you can copy a spell into your book as long as it is of a level you can prepare.

You cannot prepare level 3 wizard spells as a level 2 wizard.

You do have the spell slots for upcasting though

Zardnaar

Legend
At least in my copy, it specifies that you can copy a spell into your book as long as it is of a level you can prepare.

You cannot prepare level 3 wizard spells as a level 2 wizard.

You do have the spell slots for upcasting though

Derp I misread it.

I've always been fine with updating into those slots.

jgsugden

Legend
This issue has popped up a few times since BG3 came out due to the way that game has allowed people to scribe higher level spells into their spellbook, but the idea is to be as restrictive as other classes.

As a DM, I allow players to 'scribe' spells that are higher than their level into their spellbook earlier, but I do not allow them to be prepared until you have sufficient wizard levels. So you can drop that third level spell in your book - but until you're a 5th level wizard you can't cast it. This is mostly just a 'convenience' rule as it allows the wizards to plan out their spellbook acquisitions better in one place.

Stormonu

Legend
It's a 9th level character, off-hand I don't see what 3rd level spell is going to break it.

On the other hand, this sort of mix-and-match level tomfoolery is why I don't like 5E's multiclassing.

Dragongrief

Explorer
Perhaps but they can cast it themselves now. We'll at level 15 I was thinking maybe it was 9 but I misread it.

I'm just not 100% certain how it works with action surge.
Action Surge and casting? Just don't use a Bonus Action spell (or two concentration spells), and you're good.
The only restriction on casting multiple spells in one turn is if one is a BA - then any Action spells have to be cantrips.

Remove ads