• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eldritch Knight, Effective or Defective?

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
I played a fighter/wizard/EK for a while, and I must say that the biggest benefit I found to the class was the ability to craft my own freakin' items. I had Craft Wondrous and Craft Arms and Armour, and it made sure I not only had exactly the items I wanted, but that I also got them discount. I was unlikely to get a double-enchanted quarterstaff for TWF otherwise... :)

IndyPendant

First Post
Archer-Mage, using full WotC books:
Fighter 1/Elf-Wizard 6/Spellsword 1/Eldritch Knight 10/Whatever-the-heck-else-ya-want.

You can serve as a combo party archer and mage in a pinch, since you've only lost 2 caster levels. (Just be aware that if another char specializes in either archery or wizardry, they'll completely outshine you. : )

Full-out Gish:
Paladin 2/Sorceror 4/Spellsword 5/Eldritch Knight 9.

The best WotC-only Gish-build possible, currently. Can't really be primary caster though, as you've lost a total of 5 caster levels. Some very nice synergies happening there. ?Arcane Strike? feat from Complete Warrior is a must.

Impeesa

Explorer
IndyPendant said:
Full-out Gish:
Paladin 2/Sorceror 4/Spellsword 5/Eldritch Knight 9.

The best WotC-only Gish-build possible, currently. Can't really be primary caster though, as you've lost a total of 5 caster levels. Some very nice synergies happening there. ?Arcane Strike? feat from Complete Warrior is a must.

Simple and effective. Practised Spellcaster is another must-have. Also, with the Twilight armor enhancement (BoED), you can cast in mithril full plate and shield if you feel like it. Plus, channel spell + prismatic spray is just too damn fun. :)

--Impeesa--

FireLance

Legend
Another nice combo I've been thinking about is:

Bard 7/Pal 2/Sublime Chord 2/Eldritch Knight X adding to Sublime Chord spellcasting

You'll need Devoted Performer (Complete Adventurer) to pull this off, but you get to stack bard and paladin levels for the purpose of number of times you can use bardic music and the damage bonus from smiting evil. With a masterwork lute (Complete Adventurer), you inspire courage as an 8th-level bard. Add Song of the Heart (Eberron Campaign Setting) and the inspirational boost swift-action spell (Complete Adventurer), and you can get a +4 morale bonus to hit and damage with each use of Inspire Courage.

The great thing about this combo is that you end up with a BAB of +17 and the ability to cast a small number of 9th-level spells from the sor/wiz spell list. A Sublime Chord starts out with the ability to cast 5th-level spells and gets 9th-level spells at 9th level (2 levels of Sublime Chord plus 8 levels of Eldritch Knight).

This also nets you spellcasting in Mithril Full Plate if you take Battle Caster (Complete Arcane), and an arcane spellcaster level equal to character level with Practised Spellcaster (Complete Arcane). If you prefer to fight in light armor, you can take Snowflake Wardance (Frostburn) to add your Charisma bonus to attack rolls with a one-handed slashing weapon by spending one daily use of bardic music. Don't forget Arcane Strike (Complete Warrior) so that you can convert spells to attack and damage bonuses.

For maximum effectiveness, you should go into Eldritch Knight on the strength of your bard and paladin levels, then take a level of Sublime Chord (requires 13 ranks in 2 skills which you need to buy cross-class with your Eldritch Knight skill points) and carry on with Eldritch Knight from there, taking at most one more level in Sublime Chord.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
I play an elf transmuter/fighter/EK that works out really well. Being an elf, I decided to go archery for the racial dex bonus. The high dex helps the AC, too, of course. Then, I decided to go with bracers instead of armor. The bracers are awesome - but of course they can't keep up with a fully enchanted set of full plate either!

But done right, this combination works really well. I don't think the EK works too well as a melee combatant just because the spell failure gets cumbersome with the heavier armors/shields. But a ranged EK is great - won't find many better caster/archer combos out there, in my opinion.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
I've played a fighter/wizard in Living Greyhawk since the start of the campaign. Eldritch Knight really made the character work. Right now (due to a recent conversion), he's exactly as he would be if built in 3.5 from the ground up: Fighter 1/Wizard 6/Spellsword 1/Eldritch Knight 9. Between a +14 BAB and 8th level spells, he's a powerful and effective character... but he requires a lot of finesse as a player.

Principle 1: You're not a primary caster--don't act like one. The combat abilities from Fighter, eldritch knight and spellsword have to pull their own weight from level 1 to level 20. If at level 17, I find myself acting like a straight-class wizard, I'm not using my character to his full potential. (Not to mention, he's not qualified to be a straight-caster wizard. Any competently built and played straight-caster 15 is far better than he is in a spellsling match. Two caster levels don't make up for a sub-par Int (the natural consequence of investing in strength and dex in a point buy system), and no feats spent on improving spell penetration or save DCs).

Principle 2: look for synergies. Several people in this thread have recommended an archer eldritch knight. With Complete Adventurer bringing Arrow Mind into the campaign, there's more synergy in archery than there used to be, but there's not as much as there is in melee. Polymorph, enlarge person, true strike, ray of enfeeblement (especially when combined with Improved Trip), blink (and greater blink--especially with Contingency), Iron Body, Arcane Strike, Whirling Blade, and--if your DM is insane enough to allow it--wraithstrike can pretty much all work together simultaneously to give you very good melee defenses and a good melee offense.

Principle 2.5: Arcane Strike has synergy with nearly everything. One of the nice things about the ability to dump spells for attack and damage bonuses is that you can afford to prep more specialized spells like banishment or Power Word: blind and you've still got a very good use for them if the only thing you fight is undead.

Principle 2.75: Why the synergies will focus on making you a better fighter instead of making you a better wizard: Round by round, you can only do one (or two if you count quickened spells) things. At the basic level, you can swing a sword or cast a spell. If you cast the spell, the ability to swing the sword will usually not help you as much as having more full caster levels would. (Even in BAB sensitive cases like scorching ray, it's usually better to have enough extra caster levels to be casting maximized scorching ray instead of empowered scorching ray than to hit the extra few percentage points of the time--if touch attacks weren't so easy, it might not be that way, but by mid levels, they're pretty much "don't roll a 1" even for a straight-class wizard). If you swing the sword, there are any number of ways that magic can help you swing that sword more effectively.

Principle 3: since your DCs will be unimpressive and your max spell level lower than a primary caster, don't bother with blasting spells. You'll be casting Ice Storm when straight casters are casting empowered fireballs. When you're casting empowered chain lightnings, they'll be casting empowered delayed blast fireballs. And their DCs will be higher and their Spell Pen rolls will be higher. Don't try to compete on that playing field. Go for spells that don't have saves, that have a good effect even on a failed save, or that target multiple opponents. Glitterdust is a good spell at low levels because it still reveals invisible or hiding creatures on a successful save and can target a group of enemies. Ray of enfeeblement is a good spell because there's no save and your BAB is better than an ordinary wizard's. Power Word Blind, Enervation, Otto's Irresistable Dance and Wall of force are all good spells because there is no save. (Enervation also reduces targets' ability checks making them more vulnerable to your feats like Improved Trip). Banishment is a good spell because it can have multiple targets and because you can crank the DC by using things like a silver holy symbol and holy guisarme. Even with your reduced casting ability, you can still do no-save, battlefield control, and buffing spells nearly as well as a straight-class caster and you can do multiple target save spells reasonably well as long as you pick your targets carefully.

Principle 4: Rely on your party. If you're the only arcane caster in the party, that's not necessarily a problem. The cleric or druid will have to pick up a bit in the blasting department but you can use battlefield control spells to maximize the advantages of your party makeup: more fighting power than most parties. (If you're an iconic fighter/wizard/cleric/rogue party (with the eldritch knight filling in for the wizard), for instance you can put everyone on the front lines instead of having a few party members playing defense and keeping the wizard out of harms way). Non-traditional parties can work quite well, but you need to adopt non-traditional tactics.

Rassilon

First Post
If one is extending an opinion: EK is very effective (especially when combined w/ a level of Spell Sword, as I notice many of the builds here do).

Rassilon.

Remove ads