• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Elysium Squad OOC

Ferrix

Explorer
Indeed choir it is...

On the XP front whatever works for you.

The combat was a bit dry for some of us in heavy armor, although position was entirely to blame. So no fault of anyone really. Hopefully it'll be a bit more involved in the future.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Ferrix said:
The combat was a bit dry for some of us in heavy armor, although position was entirely to blame. So no fault of anyone really. Hopefully it'll be a bit more involved in the future.

Let's hope indeed! I imagine if every battle has Ray and Cassient as the front liners - this will be a short campaign indeed! Oh - and - the enemy will not always use hit-and-run tactics. However ... if the party gets a reputation for being slow, the more organized enemies will use that to their advantage!

JonnyFive

First Post
Nonlethal Force said:
Let's hope indeed! I imagine if every battle has Ray and Cassient as the front liners - this will be a short campaign indeed! Oh - and - the enemy will not always use hit-and-run tactics. However ... if the party gets a reputation for being slow, the more organized enemies will use that to their advantage!

yea... 6 rounds of runnin fer a PA crit.... i'm happy, but still, i'm thinkin a horse would be a good idea, or a pony in my case.

Bront

The man with the probe
Ferrix said:
Indeed choir it is...

On the XP front whatever works for you.

Yeah, it was Ray's through to either get pelted, retreat, or charge.

Not his usuall or prefered tactics (which is to not fight realy, but beyond that...)

BTW, NLF
[sblock]Ray will never mention looting bodies or other such things, and won't bother unless he knows they have uncommon wealth that could make a difference. He doesn't think of material things, so looting or rummaging over those he's faught won't cross his mind too often. Just an FYI[/sblock]

Last edited:

engrishonly

First Post
Nonlethal Force said:
Second, The party has now earned experience for the first time. So this is a good time to bring it up. How would you like me to handle handing out experience? After each battle? Periodically when the DM feels like it? Only at level up? Or somewhere in between these options? It matters not for me, personally. My other games only get it periodically, so if you want constant updates after each battle you all might need to remind me until I get in the habit, but I do not mind.

Anyway ... I hope that combat felt okay. Good job!

I think the periodically plan makes the most sense for XP. When there's a logical "End of Chapter" or something - any time where we might close out one phase, get some rest, and move ahead. Otherwise, it's too much bookkeeping for my tastes :) although I know some people like tallying up XP as soon as it is earned.

Combat was fine for me. I enjoy when the enemy says things to annoy or insult us... then Eva can go into her righteous fury and say things back while doing the "Eva swings her sword" deal.

And I also wish we could have been mounted... carrying that spear around as a battle standard doesn't work as well as a lance because it's just extra baggage for Eva, and my feats are mostly in Bastard Sword. I think Eva will conveniently forget to pick up that spear...

Bront

The man with the probe
I should chime in on XP.

Award it whenever you feel it's appropriate. That seems best, as you can work in RP bonuses, and other such things as needed.

Eluvan

First Post
Yup, I'm not in any rush to tally up XP. I'd be happy to work that out at logical points in the story, or just whenever you get round to it I suppose.

The combat was pretty good for me, no complaints there. I find your posts easy enough to follow, and the maps are a help even if they're not that pretty. :D

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Eluvan said:
The combat was pretty good for me, no complaints there. I find your posts easy enough to follow, and the maps are a help even if they're not that pretty. :D

Just what are you saying about those maps?!? :p I work long and hard on those ...

yeah, I know they're not pretty! :D

Thanks for the input on XP. I'll hand it our periodically, then. In the lower levels I'll usually try to not really mention XP until you're about 1/2-way to level-up. That'll let you know you're progressing. Then, I usually tell people when they are getting close, like 3/4 level-up. That will also give you some time to think about the next level, so that when the level actually occurs you are prepped.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Fenris - I think Ray is stuck waiting for an answer from Yavarin before speaking again.

JonnyFive, Ferrix - do Geeo and Kiera have anything at all to say about which direction the party heads?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads