• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Endur's Return to TOEE part 2

Endur

First Post
Varachan walks into Master Hedrack's chambers and sits down in the chair facing Hedrack. Hedrack is hard at work reading papers and writing at his desk.

Hedrack's large bedchamber and office is richly appointed, but dire in its decor. A wide bed with black linens and a black canopy over it, the ebony wood carved into hideous faces, stands near the north wall. Two female skeletons rest upon the bed (one a blonde, the other a redhead) in poses that suggest they are bored. Other dark wood furnishings include an ornate trunk, a nightstand with a lamp, a bookshelf, a desk, and a folding screen that cuts off the souteastern section of the room. In the two corners farthest from the door stand a pair of gray stone statues, 6 feet tall, of creatures made of writhing snakes, tendrils, or tentacles. Next to one is a black marble bathing rub, with a dark wooden towel rack next to it.

The walls are covered in tapestries depicting normal scenes of daily life in human situations--dinner in a castle, an auction in a village, a party and so on. Anyone looking more closely at the tapestries finds that each of them is actually more disturbing than they appear. In each, a shadow lurcks menacingly, a character has an out of place evil grin, or soemthing even more understated gives the tapestry a feeling of wrongness.

Hedrack asks, "What is it? I'm busy with preparations for the test. In a few hours, the Champion will pass the final test."

Varachan responds enigmatically, "You'll never believe what just happened. I still don't believe it myself."

Hedrack, annoyed, asks, "Well, out with it already, I don't have all day."

Varachan continues, "Ok. I was watching Miracla and Dirass, our supposed allies from the drow city. They were negotiating with a human warrior at the main gate. Appearently the human warrior served a surface wizard who had heard of Dirass and wanted to trade for one of the drow wizard's spells."

Hedrack replies, "Wizards and their spellbooks. Pah!"

Varachan continues, "Just listen, it gets better. The human warrior's name was Lord Robilar and the wizard he served was Lord Rary of the Bright Empire."

Hedrack jumps up from his table and draws his rod of tentacles as if under attack, "What!?!? Lord Robilar was here? In Mount Stalagos?"

Varachan continues, "Robilar has already left Mount Stalagos. But let me tell you what happened. Lord Robilar named a price for a scroll of the spell he desired. Dirass told Robilar that the price was ten times what Robilar offered. Robilar told him that the price was a final offer. Dirass laughed at Robilar in that condescending way that dark elves laugh at humans. Robilar drew his sword and cut off Dirass's head in one smooth motion, the drow's head hit the floor before he finished laughing. Robilar appearently didn't care for being insulted. Miracla, Dirass's wife, gave Robilar the scroll and fled. Robilar then left Mount Stalagos."

Hedrack spats out, "Good riddance. I never wanted a wizard here anyways. Anything we need, we can do with the powers granted by the Dark Lord. Robilar is powerful. Had I known that Dirass told Robilar of our location, I would have killed Dirass myself. Robilar is a looter of dungeons and other places where wealth has accumulated. He destroyed our operations in the Temple of Elemental Evil ten years ago."

Varachan adds, "I never saw anything like it. Dirass must have had ten or twenty defensive enchantments upon himself for the negotiation. His own spells as well as spells cast by Miracla. The enchantments didn't matter. Robilar's black sword cut through all the enchantments, dispelling them, and sliced through Dirass's neck, all in one smooth motion."

The door to Hedrack's office bursts open as Miracla enters, tears streaking down her face.
She shouts in fury, "He must die! We are under attack! A human slew Dirass and stole his greatest magic! We must send the Spider Eater Riders, Chymon the Dragon, and even the Black Prince. They must slay the human and repay this insult!"

Hedrack laughs at her. "No. Robilar freed the Old One from the dungeons of Castle Greyhawk, his powers and skills are beyond you or I. If I saw Robilar coming, I would flee in the other direction, just as I did ten years ago when I ruled the Temple of Elemental Evil. Only the Black Prince could defeat Robilar, but it is not his fight. You will do nothing, you will forget your anger, and swallow your pride. If I ever hear you mention Robilar again, you will find yourself on the altar, Miracla."

Dalamar

Adventurer
"I know I've wanted to be on the lips of everyone, but this is a bit too much," Kerwyn jokes, partly to be funny but mostly just to keep his mind from fully realising how deep in trouble he is. "and tentacles aren't really my thing, ladies. And thing. So..."
Kerwyn spends a big part of the meager magical energy he had been able to gather the previous day, bringing forth the invisibility spell and getting out of the pot (preferably to cover, in case area effects start flying around). If there is no quick access to cover, he'll instead try to summon everybody from their cages (if this is the control room). If neither of those is an option, then just flee at top speed.

Endur

First Post
Kerwyn vanishes from sight (invisibility, concentration check 19+3=22 success).

Naquent and Daagra both turn and look at the mindflayer. Naquent says, "Where did he go?"

Kerwyn quietly removes the ropes that were tying his hands together, trying not to make it obvious that he has not yet climbed out of the pot. The tentacled creature begins to read the thoughts of all nearby creatures (Detect Thoughts DC 15 Kerwyn will save 18+ success).

The tentacled creature says, "I sense his mind is somewhere near, but I'm not sure where he is."

While the cultists are waiting for the tentacled creature's reply, Kerwyn sneaks over to the lever, turns it and clicks, freeing Belaver from his cell. (Daagra spot check 2+, Naquent spot check 7+, Tentacled Humanoid spot check 7+).

Surprise Round
22: Belaver casts Baleful Polymorph on the Tentacled Humanoid. The humanoid transforms into a toad, but the spell does not hold and the creature resumes its aberrant shape. (SR27 caster level check 13+10=23 failed)
15: Kerwyn (invisible) clicks the lever, teleporting Lylamwyn into the room

Last edited:

Endur

First Post
The prison room is full of darkness. Neshi is howling. Those who can see in the dark (Lylamwyn, Raner, & Toriah) notice that Belaver and Kerwyn are missing.

Toriah mutters out loud, "Belaver and Kerwyn are gone! No wonder Neshi is howling! Who's next?"

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
Belaver chants quickly, attempting to transform the tentacled monstrosity into a tortoise before it can unleash any of the bizarre powers such aberrations often wield. Whether successful or not, he'll then change into his familiar bear-form to engage his captors.

Endur

First Post
Round 1 Initiative
25: Daagra the Hag transforms into Canoness Y'Dey and says in common"Quickly, we must escape before they can summon additional reinforcements!"
22: Belaver transforms into a Brown Bear and moves to engage
17: Lylamwyn casts Evard's Black Tentacles on Canoness Y'Dey, the tentacled humanoid, and Naquent (Evard 10+17 vs. Canoness 5+24 not grappled, Evard 5+17 vs. tentacled humanoid 16+7 not grappled, Evard 18+17 vs. Naquent 20+7 grappled, dmg 10)
15: Kerwyn (invisible) clicks the lever, teleporting Lenya into the room
7: Tentacled Humanoid moves out of the field of Black Tentacles, is clawed and grappled by Belaver (AOO: 16+ hit AC 18, dmg 14, grapple bear 13+20 vs. 15+7, tentacled humanoid is grappled, attempts to escape grapple by Mindblast concentration check 7+13 +4 combat casting = 24 success, Mindblast DC17 Belaver 19+ success)
1: Naquent (-10) escapes one of the Evard's Black Tentacles (5+7 vs. 3+17 fail, 19+2 vs. 2+17 success) and takes a 5' step

Last edited:

Pyrex

First Post
Raner, wakened by Neshi's howling, looks around to see Kerwyn missing. Then, *pop* Belaver dissappears. Then a few moments later *pop* goes Lenya.

Rolling his shoulders, Raner loosens himself up and gets ready for a fight. "Either we're bein rescued or they're goin to execute us. Either way I don' plan on goin down easy."

Thanee

First Post
Lenya

With her ability to see the unseen, Lenya also noticed how one after the other some of her companions vanished from the cells. Then suddenly the room around her changes and she finds herself in the midst of a raging battle as it seems. Seeing Kerwyn near the lever reinforces her confidence, that this might be the opportunity they had not really been expecting to happen anymore. Still a little disoriented from the sudden change, Lenya tries to assess the situation and to determine how she can best help the others.

Remove ads