ENWorld's Guide to Life

Mad_Jack

Explorer
Sorry, I traded the pearl of wisdom to a tavern wench for two pitchers of mead, a bowl of mutton stew, and a roll in the sheets...

Okay, now that I got that out of the way...

Pearls of wisdom, only some of which people slap me for saying, lol::

- Look on the bright side... It could be worse.

- If today is not literally the worst day of your life so far, then not only have you been through worse than this and survived - which means that you'll survive this - but you can also honestly say that things are better now than they have been in the past...

- Conformity is a condom for the mind - it prevents the conception of original thought and stops the spread of new ideas...

- Always be nice and polite to everyone - the less pissed-off people there are in the world, the less chance you have of getting shot by one of them.

Ulfgeir

Adventurer
* Do not take yourself too seriously. In the eyes of the universe, you are probably not that important.

* Do not go around picking fights. No matter how good you are, there is always someone out there that can beat you (either by skill or luck).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
1) Learn to cook, especially your favorite recipes from family & friends. At some point, you’re going to want those meals, and you won’t be near those people.

2) if/when you do cook, you can save yourself a lot of time- and minimize food spoilage- by buying large amounts of the veggies you eat most and having “prep day”. That means taking the time one day to clean, chop, dice, mince, etc., most or all of everything, and setting aside the bulk of it in the freezer. That basically translates into only having to clean your knives, and cutting boards ONCE as opposed to each time you cook. Additionally, that means STARTING to cook a meal takes a fraction of the time.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
If you keep a small fire extinguisher for kitchen fires (and good for you!) , do NOT keep it right by/over the stove. In event of a sudden fire the flames may keep you from reaching it.
Also, you should have a wet chemical fire extinguisher (suitable for type A and F fires) easy accessible in the kitchen.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Every person alive is here because of thousands of ancestors who were smart enough, strong enough, and social enough to survive far worse conditions than what most of us are faced with today. Regardless of your race, ethnicity, gender; or your physical or mental challenges; you have it within you to survive and thrive. While it is helpful to know and try to shore up your weaknesses, it is more important to discover and capitalize on your strengths.

The best way to do that is to task risks, try new things, and to push yourself outside your comfort zone. Don't merely accept other people's expectations of you, or your own assumed limitations--test them. When you do, you'll often prove others and yourself wrong, surprising them and yourself as you exceed those expectations.

And when you don't, because sometimes you won't, try something else. A dead end is just an opportunity to go down another path.

TheSword

Legend
Supporter
Save something, every month. £100 if you can. If that means going without a luxury then do that. If I had 20 years ago, I’d have enough for a house deposit and I wouldn't be paying rent towards someone else’s mortgage now.

Once you save your first £1000 you take better care of it. It starts to grow and it gives you a massive amount of emotional comfort and security - particularly if you’ve been maxing out your overdraft every month.

If you can’t save £100, save £50 or even £25. If you can’t do these, try and change your lifestyle. I’d still have £6k more than I do now if I’d have saved £25 a month.

TheSword

Legend
Supporter
Oh, and cut down on sugar. It’s a killer and once you drop it, your seldom notice it, even if you have a sweet tooth.

Advertisement2

Advertisement4