• Resources are back! Use the menu in the main navbar. If you own a resource, please check it for formatting, icons, etc.

5E Escape the Underdark, Fear the Madness, and get Out of the Abyss - IC

EarlyBird

Villager
A couple hours on the Darklake and the group learns that this will be no pleasure cruise.

After a half dozen or more tunnels, leading from their lake cavern, become impassable the need to always be back-tracking becomes tedious. One tunnel's ceiling is to low for the group allow the group to pass. Another narrows to only eight feet wide, an has no way to get the mushroom craft through.

Part of the trouble is not being able to see but sixty feet of a path at a time, but light on the water would probably be a beacon noone wishes to light.

A quick current (of which their have been plenty) pulls the group into another cove where the walls narrow a bit. The speed helps wedge a boat into the narrow fifteen foot gap, but it isn't so bad as to damage the groups craft. Catching a quick breather everyone stops whispering amongst their selves as a strange sound echos throughout the area.

*bou-oup* *bou-oup* bou-oup*

"Look up! Look up!" Buppido shouts as he lifts a shortbow to target the darkness above you

darkmantle__matt_bulahao.png

The derro lets an arrow fly as eight of the odd floating creatures descend to attack.

[sblock=Combat]
Buppido free atk; [roll0], dmg [roll1]
Thia also gets a free atk for having her weapon at the ready.

Then Round 1:

Atallia
AC:15, HP: 27/27, 4/4 Ki, HD 4/4
Grudach
AC:16, HP: 51/57, Rage 3/3, 4/4 HD, inspiration die
Kildrak
AC:18, HP: 36/36(DR3), Spell Slots 3/0/0, LoH 20/20, 4/4 HD
Finn
AC:13, HP: 22/27, Slots 2/2 (2nd lvl), 4/4 HD, mage armor 1/1
cantrips: eldritch blast, friends, magic stones, light, mage hand, spare the dying, frostbite, prestidigitation
Thia
AC:16, HP: 27/27, Spell Slots 4/3/0, Inspiration(d6) 2/2, 4/4 HD
cantrips: shocking grasp, message, true strike, light

Darkmantles: all are AC:11
1) 22/22 - 30' from J08
2) 22/22 - 25' from L09
3) 22/22 atk: Grudach; [roll2]
4) 22/22 atk: Finn w/advan; [roll3], [roll4]
5) 22/22 atk: Buppido; [roll5]
6) 22/22 atk: Derendil; [roll6]
7) 22/22 - 40'from N12
8) 22/22 atk: Eldrath; [roll7]
[/sblock]
[sblock=Map]
darklake_rd_00_01.jpg[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

EarlyBird

Villager
OOC: DMG:
Grudach; [roll0]
Finn; [roll1]
Buppido; [roll2]
Eldrath; [roll3]


Not being able to see what is going on Finn starts to find something to cast his light spell on when suddenly his head is engulfed by something leathery. Sharp teeth start to tear at his skull while tendrils wrap around his throat cutting off his oxygen.

Grudach has time to drop his paddle and find his weapon and then a sharp pain erupts in his side, as the strange creature attaches itself to him, its lamprey mouth digging into his flesh.

OOC: Finn will need a STR check DC 13 to get the thing off him.
 

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer

TallIan

Explorer
Finnan

Finnan starts to panic as something wraps around his head, stifling and biting. He thrashes for a heartbeat before a calm comes over him and manages to grab two ropy tentacles and pull. It feels to Finnan like pulling a blanket over his head, then he sucks down a lungful of air.

[SBLOCK=Mini Stats]AC: 13 (DEX) or 16 (Mage armour)
HP: 22/27 HD: 4/4

Offense:Eldritch blast: +5 120ft 1d10+3F
Tentacle Rod: 3 attacks: +9 15ft 1d6B if all three hit same target make a DC15 CON save: 1/2 move; disadv on DEX saves, no reactions, only action OR bonus action for 1 min save each turn

Spells:
Cantrips: frostbite, prestidigitation; light, mage hand, spare the dying; magic stones; Eldritch Blast, Friends
1/1 Level 1: Mage armour
2/2 level 2: dissonant whispers, arms of hadar, phantasmal force, mirror image, mind spike
Rituals: Detect Magic, Ceremony[/SBLOCK]
 

jmucchiello

Adventurer
Thia sees the strange creature about to drop on Grudach. She shoots it. It lands near Grudach, biting him, and she fires another arrow at it.

OOC: Readied Attack [roll0] Damage [roll1]
Normal Attack [roll2] Damage [roll3] Nat 20 damage 16 hp
24 total
 

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
Grudach felt the panic welling up inside him. He let out a half-surpressed yell and tried to thrust the creature away from him with his newly-found pole-weapon.

[roll0] for a raging [roll1] damage

(Edit: If Thia killed his, he will thrust (with reach!) at any of them that is close enough)
 

EarlyBird

Villager
Thia finishes the darkmantle that was chewing into Grudach, and as he turns to thank her he thrusts the glaive up above her head impaling a creature as it nears her. Atallia and Kildrak make short work of the creature trying to engulf the poor halfling and Finnan pulls it off his head gasping for air.

Derendil claws at the rubbery hide of his attacker, while Eldath brings her hammer down hard on the other. But more are coming in as Ront and Buppido work on another. Stool makes himself as small as possible doding out of the way of slimy tentacles.

And then the world goes black for everyone.

A deep darkness that even your darkvision can't penetrate fills the area around the boats making it impossible to see anything, but you can here the grunts and cries of your companions as they are all equally shocked by what has happened.

[sblock=Combat]
Blinded - make all attack rolls with disadvantage

Atallia
AC:15, HP: 27/27, 3/4 Ki, HD 4/4, blinded
Grudach
AC:16, HP: 51/57, Rage 2/3, 4/4 HD, rage 09/10, blinded, inspiration die
Kildrak
AC:18, HP: 36/36(DR3), Spell Slots 3/0/0, LoH 20/20, 4/4 HD, blinded
Finn
AC:13, HP: 22/27, Slots 2/2 (2nd lvl), 4/4 HD, mage armor 1/1, blinded
Thia
AC:16, HP: 27/27, Spell Slots 4/3/0, Inspiration(d6) 2/2, 4/4 HD, blinded

Darkmantles: all are AC:11
1) 09/22 - darkness
2) 22/22 - atk: Kildrak [roll0], dmg [roll1]
3) 00/22, dead
4) 00/22, dead
5) 09/22 - darkness
6) 10/22 - darkness
7) 22/22 - atk: Ront [roll2], dmg [roll3]
8) 14/22 - darkness[/sblock]
[sblock=Map]
darklake_rd_00_02.jpg[/sblock]

OOC: Group is up.
 

hero4hire

Villager
Kildrak prays for his goddess to protect him and readies his warhammer to whap a tentacle beast as it attacks him.
Ooc:
Bonus action Shield of Faith on self.
Action: Ready attack when Darkmantle attacks him.
 

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
Grudach hissed, "Everyone hush! Listen for them and be ready!"

He held still and listened for one of them nearby and when he heard one, he thrust his glaive at the creature.

[roll0] or [roll1] for [roll2] damage.
 

EarlyBird

Villager
The weird high pitched echo sound continues and in the complete darkness of these creatures it confuses some of the other members of the party. As everyone tries to connect (some successful), but without being able to see it is hard to tell who is fighting what and where.

[sblock=Combat]
Atallia
AC:15, HP: 27/27, 4/4 Ki, HD 4/4, blinded
Grudach
AC:16, HP: 51/57, Rage 3/3, 4/4 HD, blinded, inspiration die
Kildrak
AC:20, HP: 36/36(DR3), Spell Slots 2/0/0, LoH 20/20, 4/4 HD, blinded, shield of faith
Finn
AC:13, HP: 22/27, Slots 2/2 (2nd lvl), 4/4 HD, mage armor 1/1, blinded
Thia
AC:16, HP: 27/27, Spell Slots 4/3/0, Inspiration(d6) 2/2, 4/4 HD, blinded

Darkmantles: all are AC:11
1) 01/22 - disengage
2) 15/22 - atk: Kildrak [roll0], dmg [roll1]
3) 00/22, dead
4) 00/22, dead
5) 03/22 - disengage
6) 05/22 - disengage
7) 22/22 - atk: Ront [roll2], dmg [roll3]
8) 14/22 - atk: Eldath [roll4], dmg [roll5][/sblock]

Map: No change in the dark.

OOC: Party is up.
 

TallIan

Explorer
Finnan

Freed from the entangling tentacles Finnan briefly considers the dark reaching arms of Hadar, but quickly dismisses it - too many allies he was not willing to hurt. Instead he thrashing the rod, with its own tentacles at anything near him that feels inhuman.

[SBLOCK=Actions and rolls]AttackFinnan Tentacle Rod attack and damage: 1D20+9 = [18]+9 = 27
1D6 = [3] = 3
1D20+9 = [7]+9 = 16
1D6 = [3] = 3
1D20+9 = [14]+9 = 23
1D6 = [2] = 2

No Move
All three his so a DC 15 CON save.[/SBLOCK]


[SBLOCK=Mini Stats]AC: 13 (DEX) or 16 (Mage armour)
HP: 22/27 HD: 4/4

Offense:Eldritch blast: +5 120ft 1d10+3F
Tentacle Rod: 3 attacks: +9 15ft 1d6B if all three hit same target make a DC15 CON save: 1/2 move; disadv on DEX saves, no reactions, only action OR bonus action for 1 min save each turn

Spells:
Cantrips: frostbite, prestidigitation; light, mage hand, spare the dying; magic stones; Eldritch Blast, Friends
0/1 Level 1: Mage armour
2/2 level 2: dissonant whispers, arms of hadar, phantasmal force, mirror image, mind spike
Rituals: Detect Magic, Ceremony[/SBLOCK]
 

Advertisement

Top