Eternals (Spoilers)

So basically like nearly every other superhero/villain ever?
Sure..ish. The level of arbitrariness for superhero power level is a gradient.

It goes from "Power level doesn't change much and/or such changes are well justified...to...Power levels fluctuate significantly with little or no explanation"

In this movie, it felt to me like the latter.

Ikaris has deadly eyebeams..except sometimes they aren't that deadly. Some of the characters seem like they're noncombatants.. except that they shrug off deadly eyebeams, or solo the "strongest" member of the team. A characters gets stabbed and we're meant to think that means anything, except that it doesn't seem to, yet Mr. Shrugsoffeyebeams hits Stabbyperson in the head with a rock and Stabbyperson is out of the fight.

No explanation, no justification, no red or yellow kryptonite or anything. Just a "yeah that all happened. Trust us this really is coherent. We promise."

Ryujin

Legend
that and they had 400 years to contemplate.

What kind of shallow person doesn't reconsider their philosophies given 400 years of downtime?

Phaistos did. Heck, why isn't he in charge?
People who live a million years? "The older we get, the more we become ourselves." - Alan Andrews

No one ever puts the tech in charge. It's always the guy who doesn't understand tech, who becomes the manager.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
My main problem was that basically Arishem and Tiamut came across as discount Galactus, with the Eternals filling in for both the Silver Surfer and the Fantastic Four. And it seems really weird for Marvel to be doing a discount Galactus story.
I was talking to a friend today that ran a comic book store up until last year. He was telling me that this story was from the comics and that Galactus's real purpose was as a natural predator who went around consuming worlds with baby Celestials in them in order to cull the herd.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I was talking to a friend today that ran a comic book store up until last year. He was telling me that this story was from the comics and that Galactus's real purpose was as a natural predator who went around consuming worlds with baby Celestials in them in order to cull the herd.
That was the Earth X storyline

Edit: and we're meant to think that this group that is struggling to take on 1-3 deviants midway through the movie is the same group that killed alllll of the deviants as of 400 years ago.

The fight in the forest involves a deviant that had begun evolving
after it had already killed an Eternal.

I loved that fight in the forest, the way the grey dawn light slowly comes in over the course of the battle. The use of real locations and natural light really added to the film for me.

Also, the way Druig's villagers all fire in unison in that scene was really creepy.

Khelon Testudo

Cleric of Stronmaus
It was an enjoyable movie.

But it also had no real reason to be there, and no-one going forward is likely to complain if there are no sequels. I could be wrong, but I get the feeling that one of the Marvel big-wigs had an obsession with getting these folk to screen hell or high water. But he was the only one, so there was no consensus to enable a build-up, like Avengers had.

Letting us get to know each Avenger in their own movie first before putting the team together really seems how to do it. And people who skip that step miss out on the engagement needed to let the audience accept such a strange group of characters. This was missing with both Eternals, and Justice League. Although Snyder's Cut almost achieved the same goal, but by spending a lot of movie time setting up the characters.

More movie time than a modern cinema release will tolerate.

Janx

Hero
It was an enjoyable movie.

But it also had no real reason to be there, and no-one going forward is likely to complain if there are no sequels. I could be wrong, but I get the feeling that one of the Marvel big-wigs had an obsession with getting these folk to screen hell or high water. But he was the only one, so there was no consensus to enable a build-up, like Avengers had.

Letting us get to know each Avenger in their own movie first before putting the team together really seems how to do it. And people who skip that step miss out on the engagement needed to let the audience accept such a strange group of characters. This was missing with both Eternals, and Justice League. Although Snyder's Cut almost achieved the same goal, but by spending a lot of movie time setting up the characters.

More movie time than a modern cinema release will tolerate.
perhaps a counter to that is Guardians of the Galaxy. Which made a bunch of Marvel Nobodies work well.

A key difference is the smaller cast. How many eternals were there?

Probably another thing that bugs me with Marvel is how many completely different secret species they keep tucking away on earth. Eternals. Inhumans. Mutants. what else. Stick to one concept so we don't have to get into continuous "and why didn't THEY help with Thanos?" Marvel does a good job with individual characters and making them fit when they bring them in.

Dire Bare

Legend
Probably another thing that bugs me with Marvel is how many completely different secret species they keep tucking away on earth. Eternals. Inhumans. Mutants. what else. Stick to one concept so we don't have to get into continuous "and why didn't THEY help with Thanos?" Marvel does a good job with individual characters and making them fit when they bring them in.
It's the source material and ultimately, the genre. As long as you take it movie by movie, and don't overthink the numerous different "species" of supers, it's all good.

Remove ads