Eternals (Spoilers)

perhaps a counter to that is Guardians of the Galaxy. Which made a bunch of Marvel Nobodies work well.

A key difference is the smaller cast. How many eternals were there?

Probably another thing that bugs me with Marvel is how many completely different secret species they keep tucking away on earth. Eternals. Inhumans. Mutants. what else. Stick to one concept so we don't have to get into continuous "and why didn't THEY help with Thanos?" Marvel does a good job with individual characters and making them fit when they bring them in.
It's not that far off in terms of team size, 7 or 8 by Guardians 2 vs. I think 9-10 for Eternals.

What works for Guardians is that all the characters have goals and interests. Things they are sensitive to, ways of solving problems, etc. and a lot of the first movie is spent discovering those things on screen.

This is vs Eternals, where the approach was "these characters have history and personality...off screen but we're just going to rely on little bits of actor charisma to convey that during the movie instead of sharing that history and personality with the audience". And that's not even considering that half the team was functionally absent for almost half the movie.

It sort of makes you feel like the movie is a season finale for a show you didn't watch.

MarkB

Legend
It's not that far off in terms of team size, 7 or 8 by Guardians 2 vs. I think 9-10 for Eternals.

What works for Guardians is that all the characters have goals and interests. Things they are sensitive to, ways of solving problems, etc. and a lot of the first movie is spent discovering those things on screen.

This is vs Eternals, where the approach was "these characters have history and personality...off screen but we're just going to rely on little bits of actor charisma to convey that during the movie instead of sharing that history and personality with the audience". And that's not even considering that half the team was functionally absent for almost half the movie.

It sort of makes you feel like the movie is a season finale for a show you didn't watch.
It's also unusual in a Marvel movie in resorting to an exposition scene at the start. It felt like most of that could easily have been covered through conversation or flashbacks in the course of the movie.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
perhaps a counter to that is Guardians of the Galaxy. Which made a bunch of Marvel Nobodies work well.

A key difference is the smaller cast. How many eternals were there?

Probably another thing that bugs me with Marvel is how many completely different secret species they keep tucking away on earth. Eternals. Inhumans. Mutants. what else. Stick to one concept so we don't have to get into continuous "and why didn't THEY help with Thanos?" Marvel does a good job with individual characters and making them fit when they bring them in.
there were 8 Guardians characters (including Yondu and Nebula) as opposed to 9 Eternals (10 with Dane Whitman snow, but I discounting him as just a cameo:p). It would be interesting to know what the sweet spot is for balancing multiple characters well within a single movie.

As to the MCU species, the MCU doesnt have Mutants yet and imho the only reason Eternals have been dropped in is because Inhumans flopped (and I suspect will never been seen again). So far the MCU has Aliens, Tech-heroes, Super Soldier Mutates (including Spiderman) and Wizards. We are apparently getting Werewolves and Vampires soon too.

Last edited:

bennet

Explorer
Eternals was the first Marvel movie that I walked out incredibly disappointed and annoyed, given that I am a big Marvel fan and loved every other Marvel movie.

1) They cancelled the IMAX showing, so I bought regular theatre and didn't realize it was 3d (never would have watched it in 3d).
2) So those dawn scenes, with dark 3rd glasses? I could not see naughty word, I felt like I was watching a straight to video 80s flick.
3) After twenty mins or something Salma Hayek died. Im like wtf? I'm supposed to feel sad for her? She died so early and it felt out of left wing.
4) The romance between Ikaris and Sersi felt completely fake, and then he just upped and left for no reason revealed until much later, wut?
5) Story jumped from location to location and felt like any location was real.
6) Why is both Jon Snow and Robb Stark in the same movie, it is too soon.
7) Fight CGI monsters is meh.
8) Deviants are not just monsters? They have some growing personality and arc? Their leader is going to kill Thena? Nah just kidding, they are throw away scraps, easy escape while bound.
9) I was incensed, enraged, pissed that they took my fav actress of all time, Angelina Jolie and turned her into a doddering old woman with few lines.
10) Deviants suck, pretty sure past year 1000 earth can handle them.
11) Thanos (deviant syndrome) is going to wipe 1/2 the universe but Arishem is going to "not interfere" despite it ruining his birth plan.
12) Celestial comes out of the sea, instead of being earth sized as suggested, he is barely bigger than a storm giant.

Sure some scenes were pretty, but at the end of the day, a movie is a story, and their story was naughty word.

To be fair, he hadn't yet got round to eating the entire world's population. That's got to pack on some pounds.

Eh, I mentioned that whole point in an earlier comment as the one thing that really threw me off the movie. The Celestial seed is implanted in the core of a planet. Even at just the size they showed for Tiamut, there would be massive damage done to the planet by the time it was at the surface. Not just an earthquake or two and some localized volcanic activity. Why is the ocean not rushing into the hole caused by the emergence and the resulting cooling of the core that would cause?

Also, Celestials are now evil because they are planet rapers. I don't think Gaia accepted that seed willingly.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Eh, I mentioned that whole point in an earlier comment as the one thing that really threw me off the movie. The Celestial seed is implanted in the core of a planet. Even at just the size they showed for Tiamut, there would be massive damage done to the planet by the time it was at the surface. Not just an earthquake or two and some localized volcanic activity. Why is the ocean not rushing into the hole caused by the emergence and the resulting cooling of the core that would cause?

Also, Celestials are now evil because they are planet rapers. I don't think Gaia accepted that seed willingly.
yeah its pretty much agreed that Celestials are villains, however notions of good and evil are rather meaningless to them - they think of humans as lifestock not people.

but yeah now knowing that the energy from the Tonga eruption was felt from NZ to Japan and Alaska, it does seem that the emergence of Tiamut should have been far more devestating

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
There would be no hole to the core. The liquid portions of the core would fill back in, and the magma in the mantle would do the same. The hole would go down to the mantle and no further, and that's if there wasn't any collapse of the tunnel, which is unlikely. The tunnel likely collapsed at several points in the crust alone.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases