D&D General Ever overhear someone talking about D&D outside of a gameshop/con/etc?

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Like waiting in line at Wal-Mart or while eating your Burger in the McDs or buying a candy bar at the gas station or whatever?

Today I overheard, in a coffee shop, a girl explaining D&D (5E) to her friend and they seemed to agree her first character should be an Elf Beastmaster Ranger.

While I know D&D has achieved a status it's never known before where I come from I'd say we are still on the lesser side of it all. The one big game shop we have is like the one of two in probably 50 miles and the other is a third its size.

Warmed my old D&D playing heart.

I am reminded of a younger guy who works near me that I run into on occasion who I knew I could talk D&D with because he's not shy about tattooing his hobbies onto his arms.

Last edited:

Mad_Jack

Legend
Ran across a couple of kids levelling up their characters while sitting in a McD's one time, and got to bust out some obscure rules knowledge as one of them was asking a question as I walked by.

At work a couple years back, a couple of the kids up in the QC lab were talking about D&D, which is how I found out they played. And I got to bust out my "I have dice older than you..." line, lol.

Another time, a new temp at a different job showed up with one of those D20 "These are Natural" shirts on. :rolleyes:
I kind of snickered and shook my head at having worn a shirt like that to work, and she puffed out her chest and asked me, "These don't look natural to you?"
To which I replied, "Madam, a gentleman would never imply that a lady's dice were loaded..." :p

Stormonu

Legend
When checking out at a grocery store recently, had the cashier ask me what version of D&D I liked best, because I had on a B/X cover t-shirt (She was too young to know what version it was from, and my son had a Dragon Ampersand shirt on). When I got outside, I broke down laughing - something like that would have never happened twenty years ago (of course, I wouldn’t have worn such a shirt in public back then…)

Audiomancer

Adventurer
About a year ago, I was rehearsing a play for a local community theater. After rehearsal one Friday, most of the cast and crew went out for a drink, and we learned that almost half of us were current or former D&D players, and one cast member had a husband who played (and I think only two people were in the same gaming group). That led to an animated conversation about characters and campaigns, while the non-players kind of watched on with very puzzled expressions.

years after I'd been out of gaming, when I was a manager of a retail store, I overheard one of my cashiers talking about what could only be D&D. When I asked her about it, she said yes and asked if I'd ever played it. I said "Yeah, a long time ago" while thinking "Kid, you have no idea...."

HippyCraig

Explorer
I over heard some kids in there early teens a couple of people in front of me in line for Star Wars ride in Disney. The one girl was telling the others about so cool thing there DM did. It was great to see a new generation of players

aco175

Legend
I work at a local college and have seen books around the dorms and have heard some talk about playing. Have not seen any playing in the lounge or such. I have seem Magic being played though.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Not D&D exactly, but close:

Walking to office in downtown Chicago, I see a 20 something woman wearing a jester backpack (critical role). So as I'm passing I say " Nice Jester backpack." The look of utter shock on her face, likely from hearing these words from a middle aged guy in a suit, was hilarious.

Last edited:

Remove ads