Everquest/Warcraft/Diablo RPGs: Who are the buyers?

Impeesa

Explorer
Ds Da Man said:
I just don't see how you could create Warcraft and not have rules for mass battle and kingdom running. Everything else is pretty simple conversions. I think simple rules and charts that correspond to the game cost would've been nice. You know, start with x-amount of GP, x-amount of lumber, you need x-amount of food. Then maybe cycle it on a 3-month cycle or some such. Oh well, CRY HAVOC will probably work close enough, then I'll just make some of my own. Thanks!

I think the idea was that it was an RPG set in the Warcraft universe (thus the use of the D&D rules), as opposed to a direct wargame conversion of the computer games. Still, mass combat rules will be required for many crucial points in the story for people like me who plan on running campaigns starting right from 'the beginning', but there's plenty of other stuff to do. :)

Which reminds me - any solid release date on Atlas of Azeroth? I would kill (you think I'm joking..) for a proper comprehensive timeline and more cultural information on places like Lordaeron that no longer exist in the 'default setting' period. :D

--Impeesa--

Having written for most of the books in the EQ line, I get a fair amount of e-mail from people who buy the them. I’d say about 2/3 are EQ players online, or were at one time, who want to expand their EQ experience through tabletop play. Most of those have played D&D before, but not all. I do occasionally get questions that are clearly from people with little or no tabletop rpg experience who want to know why some aspects of online play (zones, spawning, etc.) aren’t included in the EQRPG.

The people who didn’t already play EQ online all seem to be hardcore D&D players who want to use the EQRPG books for new ideas. Their questions mostly center around how to adapt some EQRPG game mechanic, race or class for use in their home campaign. A surprising number of them want the “secret formula” for determining the mana cost for spells. Most of the rest are curious about game balance between EQRPG and other d20 games.

Although I never played the Diablo or Warcraft computer games I own both the d20 books for those settings. I fall firmly into the “steal ideas for my home campaigns”camp, and find computer game settings often include ideas useful to me.

Owen K.C. Stephens

MarauderX

Explorer
FDP Mike said:

By the way, whom did you email, MarauderX? Folks at SSS could be rather busy these days with the post-Gen Con recovery and catch-up. If you have other Warcraft questions, let me know!

Take care,
Mike

Thanks Mike. Sometime in May I think I emailed to the 'general' I guess, as I just clicked on a "Ask us questions" link and it popped up with a generic email address. It's ok, I will be getting the book(s) anyway, I was just hoping to get an answer in advance.

After all I agree with Ds Da Man: Warcraft, being a RTS war game, how could you not have mass combat? But if the first book is more of a players manual, will there be a whole spin off for the WC series besides the WC MM?

Ashtal

Vengeance Bunny
One of the guys in my group back home picked up the Warcraft RPG and will be posting a quick review of it on Nutkinland in the next few days. He's a big Warcraft fan, as I was for the first and second installments of the game. Not sure if I would want to run it or play it, but hey. :)

Another guy in the group is a HUUUUUUUUGE EQ fan, like, head of a guild, 60th level character, blahblahblah, and he didn't pick up the EQ RPG. I think it might have tempted him, maybe, but he mostly turned his nose up at it.

Now, for me, I'm a Diablo girl, and while I didn't pick up anything related, my boyfriend did at one point, the run-a-game dealy that came out originally.

I've always loved the magic item system for Diablo, though. People make fun of it, but it was neat having the stackable qualities and the ability to boost powers or add new ones with the augmentation system. Groovy. :cool:

ssampier

First Post
Warcraft Map

I've never played WCIII, but I loved II and the expansion (except the female character, that voice was grating).

I'd like to know what book will the map and brief history be in? I'm feeling so inspired when I read the WCII book, we played a brief campaign focused on orc invasions (still involved with orcs in Scarred Lands!).

Of course I'm already invested in SL stuff, so I'd like to limit myself to one WC book if possible.:cool:

Ds Da Man

First Post
Well I started to design some rules for the building, cost, etc., of running a kingdom. Although I plan on using a King, with PCs as dukes/small landowners. I will create charts the have the cost of buildings, the cost of building trained armies, etc.

FDP Mike

First Post
Sorry for not responding sooner!

Originally posted by Ds Da Man
I just don't see how you could create Warcraft and not have rules for mass battle and kingdom running. Everything else is pretty simple conversions. I think simple rules and charts that correspond to the game cost would've been nice. You know, start with x-amount of GP, x-amount of lumber, you need x-amount of food. Then maybe cycle it on a 3-month cycle or some such. Oh well, CRY HAVOC will probably work close enough, then I'll just make some of my own. Thanks!

Impeesa addressed this matter somewhat, but I just want to add a couple of points. The Warcraft RPG is not a direct simulation or translation of the RTS to a pen-and-paper roleplaying game. Think of it more as an adaptation. The focus is to create a viable D&D campaign world as opposed to a computer game sourcebook ... so to speak. Rules for kingdom/empire building are readily available in several D&D/d20 products and would suit a Warcraft campaign extremely well.

Of course, this is not at all to say that you couldn't find ways to mimic the process of setting up base camps and towns as seen in the Warcraft RTS, particularly through d20 rules. The books (so far) simply do not address this topic.

I'm hoping that we'll see a Warcraft forum up soon on the S&SS site. That would be a great place to post house rules 'n such. (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) :)

Originally posted by Impeesa
Which reminds me - any solid release date on Atlas of Azeroth? I would kill (you think I'm joking..) for a proper comprehensive timeline and more cultural information on places like Lordaeron that no longer exist in the 'default setting' period.

Unfortunately, no solid release date yet on Atlas of Azeroth, though I believe the current schedule is calling for Spring or Early Summer 2004. We're looking to make the Atlas as comprehensive as possible, so places such as Lordaeron should receive ample coverage. (Just don't quote me on that ... yet. ;) ) Think of the level of detail in Scarred Lands Campaign Setting: Ghelspad, and you'll have an idea of what we're shooting for with the Atlas.

Originally posted by MarauderX
After all I agree with Ds Da Man: Warcraft, being a RTS war game, how could you not have mass combat? But if the first book is more of a players manual, will there be a whole spin off for the WC series besides the WC MM?

I agree, too! If you already have Cry Havoc from Malhavoc Press, then you can get going on mass combat in a Warcraft right away -- though having the Manual of Monsters would also help. You'll see a reprise of the Cry Havoc unit combat rules in the Alliance & Horde Compendium, which is in development right now.

The first book is, yes, much like a "players' manual." It establishes many of the basics for running a Warcraft campaign: i.e., which core classes are used (including three new ones), which prestige classes are used (including several new ones), new feats, a history of Azeroth, a "gazetteer" chapter on important locations (for Kalimdor specifically), technological device rules (how to make stuff such as flying machines), new equipment, how spells/magic work, a bunch of new spells ... and so forth.

Once the six books are done, you should have pretty much everything necessary to run a Warcraft campaign, from Theramore to the Twisting Nether (and beyond?).

A very special part of the process of making the Warcraft RPG is the hands-on involvement of Blizzard's Chris Metzen and Bob Fitch, not to mention artists such as Samwise Didier. They love D&D over there at Blizzard, so it's a big thrill for them to be doing this. :D

Take care,
Mike

FDP Mike

First Post
Re: Warcraft Map

ssampier said:
I'd like to know what book will the map and brief history be in? I'm feeling so inspired when I read the WCII book, we played a brief campaign focused on orc invasions (still involved with orcs in Scarred Lands!).

Gah! I apologise for missing this question in my last post.

There's a brief history of Azeroth, a full-page map of Kalimdor, and an entire "gazetteer" chapter in the core book, Dungeons & Dragons Warcraft the Roleplaying Game.

Right now, if you're going to get a single Warcraft book, the core book would be the one if you want an introduction to the setting and all the basic material (i.e., "crunch") that you need for a campaign.

Take care,
Mike

FDP Mike

First Post
Originally posted by FDP Mike
I'm hoping that we'll see a Warcraft forum up soon on the S&SS site. That would be a great place to post house rules 'n such. (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)

Heh, yeah, I'm quoting myself, but ....

I just checked the S&SS forums, and, lo and behold, we now have a Warcraft discussion up and running. Awesome.

Just go to the Sword & Sorcery site and click on "Forums." (You may, of course, need to make an account if you don't already have one.)

Go away for a few hours, and they up and change things on ya! :)

Take care,
Mike

Remove ads