TSR Example from the worst TSR adventure module(s) ever published

innerdude

Legend
Apples are not to be ambled toward, nor should one tarry, hustle, or skip. Sauntering is RIGHT OUT! Apples are to be approached cautiously, yet not fearfully. One is to tread moderately, not lightly or heavily, lest the apples fear that you are sneaking up on them or hastening to attack.

Indeed, especially when one considers the recent apple / winter wolf alliance which has led to such peril and dire circumstances. For indeed, this alliance has seen the making of such wonders as chilled apple cider, frozen apple custard, and the ever deadly frozen caramel apple on a stick.

It's enough to send even the most honest of halfling innkeepers into a quandary.......for when itinerant wererats offer you chilled apple cider, should one drink it even if standing near a pavilion?

Last edited:

Emirikol

Adventurer
I'm throwing my hat into the ring for Princess of the IckCrappyLips. OMG, worst, worst, worst crap I've read in 30+ years! I'm thinking of switching out to the Forest Oracle for something better for my 5e campaign! UGH!
This reviewer was being generous! http://thecampaign20xx.blogspot.com/2015/04/elemental-evil-princes-of-apocalypse.html

I've taken to writing snide comments in the margins just to keep myself awake and from slitting my own wrists!

Buyer beware. I suppose I'll try the Abyss one instead. We're trying out new players, so I'll make the best of it.

Last edited:

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Clearly you never read the Mearls- or Cordell-penned 4E crapfests from the HPE series if you think Princes of the Apocalypse is the worst thing in 30+ years...! :)

(And PotA is definitely better than the original, incomplete ToEE which had such a great concept - and cover art - and such appalling execution.)

pemerton

Legend
Anyway, now we know whom to blame for the crappy bits of Thunderspire... which is an adventure I really like!
I liked the Well of Demons and the Chamber of Eyes, though in both cases I made some adjustments to introduce more circular paths (I think I'd just read DMG2!) and hence more dynamism. (And was running for PCs around 6th/7th level rather than whatever the module recommends.)

The Tower I used much later on, once the PCs were low paragon, and changed quite a bit but kept the maps.

The Horned Hold I never used - the PCs in my game allied with the duergar after striking a bargain with them in the Chamber of Eyes.

Obryn

Hero
I also have to suggest the HPE series as among the worst adventures ever published. While H2 and P2 were at least decent, they were major contributors to 4e's poor reception and terrible showcases for the edition's strengths. They didn't even follow the DMG's own advice.

D'karr

Adventurer
I also have to suggest the HPE series as among the worst adventures ever published. While H2 and P2 were at least decent, they were major contributors to 4e's poor reception and terrible showcases for the edition's strengths. They didn't even follow the DMG's own advice.

Each of them has to be looked at individually and assessed that way. All of them had some great ideas within, but were poorly executed, or not executed at all. Some of them have some of the most boring execution and linearity of all (Assault on Nightwyrm Fortress). After these adventures, I was so disappointed with Mike Mearls and Bruce Cordell, though Bruce was already on my "beware" list because of Bastion of Broken Souls, and Heart of Nightfang Spire. Which was really disappointing because Cordell was one of my favorite adventure writers with the Illithiad trilogy, and Sunless Citadel as part of his credits.

Of the bunch I believe Demon Queen's Enclave is probably the best because it does assume that there will be serious roleplaying considerations rather than just combat assumptions, which is not surprising coming from Noonan and Sims.

These adventures are better used as lose frameworks to play. I have heavily adapted most of them at one point or another for use in my campaign.

Linearity, repetition, and just being plain boring is what stands out about most of them.

Obryn

Hero
Of the bunch I believe Demon Queen's Enclave is probably the best because it does assume that there will be serious roleplaying considerations rather than just combat assumptions, which is not surprising coming from Noonan and Sims.
Yep, I would agree whole-heartedly. Thunderspire, too, had a lot of potential for campaign play. Funny how those are tied together, too, isn't it?

Now if only the first adventures for 4e were more like Zeitgeist... :cool:

These adventures are better used as lose frameworks to play. I have heavily adapted most of them at one point or another for use in my campaign.

Linearity, repetition, and just being plain boring is what stands out about most of them.
Yeah. 4e works better with fewer, but important and well designed, encounters. Much like ... well, Zeitgeist.

I think of the rest, H1, H3, and P1 are at least maybe salvageable. With work. H1 in particular starts out pretty well until you hit the actual Keep. P3 was a wreck. H3 needs some sort of civilization or town or something inside the pyramid and a better idea of what the bad guy is doing. P1 has a subtext of wildness vs. civilization that could have been better explored.

Remove ads