D&D 5E Expanded Weapons List

Satyrn

First Post
. . . apparently the chakram was a real thing and not just a gimmick on Xena: the Warrior Princess, and they seem pretty cool.

In my game, a chakram returns to your hand at the end of your next turn, though you must use your reaction to catch it. During the time it is in the air, you can use a bonus action to make another attack with it.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
So I made a bunch of changes based on feedback. I dropped the weapon die on the finesse-reach weapons, and eliminated the simple-reach weapons. So now all the reach weapons are martial, and all the really good ones are Strength-based.

Satyrn

First Post
In my game, a chakram returns to your hand at the end of your next turn, though you must use your reaction to catch it. During the time it is in the air, you can use a bonus action to make another attack with it.

Oh, and just to add some context. Most of the weapons I've added into my game have been inherently magical.

The guns are were made by legendary dwarven smiths who weaved magic into them to launch the ammo, for example, and a chakram is crafted by monks in their monastery, where they weave their ki into the weapon. With this excuse, I can give my guns whatever properties I want, and I can have the chakram work like it does on Xena without anybody whining "but that's not realistic!"

Fun stuff and nothing too crazy that I'm seeing. Nice work! I particularly like adding light to whips to allow for them to be a reasonable two weapon fighting option. Ooo.. and the added distance for the net to give it a little more allure. Maybe throw the finesse into versatile (finesse) for the trident to keep it consistent with the spear... then again maybe leave it as is since you may be trying to differentiate it from the spear...
I look forward to seeing how this evolves as you consider the community suggestions that are coming in.

Quartz

Hero
With all those high damage two-handed finesse weapons, why - especially in a featless game - would anyone bother with Str?

aco175

Legend
I like the club being finesse. I tend to have a walking cane fill the same role. The sword-cane gives you two light weapons similar to dagger and the normal cane with both being finesse and light. I also allow PCs trained in martial weapons to use the cane part defensively to give +1 AC and still use the sword part for 1d4. I thought about 1d6, but do not want to make it too cool, especially since I give it advantage to smuggle into places.

I never thought about having a weapon need two hands to make finesse, but I like the concept.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
With all those high damage two-handed finesse weapons, why - especially in a featless game - would anyone bother with Str?

The same reason anyone bothers with Str now. "High damage" here means 1d10, which isn't that great, especially in two hands: dual-wielding two d6 finesse weapons is usually better, as is getting a rapier + dueling style + shield. And "all those" at this point means exactly one weapon, the longsword. I'm OK with the longsword becoming iconic again. (Longsword™, the fireball™ of weapons.)

That said, you may be right. I personally have not observed Dex becoming the "god stat:" the people I game with tend to take Str more often than Dex. But maybe a two-handed d10 finesse option would be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I like your ideas. I’m at work, and my break isn’t long enough to dive deep on the document, so I’ll just address concepts.

Versatile (finesse): Love it. I love using versatile to add a property instead of adding damage.

Spiked Chain: Yes, good. I’m here for it. I generally just make it a whip with versatile (1d6)

Off-hand: awesome. A much appreciated fix. Great!

Finesse reach weapons: don’t get rid of these. There has to be a different way to avoid dex-PAM. Or do what I do and fix that issue Str side, with prof to damage when you use Str for weapon attacks.

Side note about anachronistic weapons and armor. [shrug]

But seriously, “studded leather” is just leather armor reinforced with metal. There are a dozen different kinds in real life, just assume it’s one of them.

Also, can we add damage dice to shields?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases