Experience Point: Become a Fit-Beard

I don’t have any clue as to how many fantasy RPG PCs I’ve played over the 30+ years I’ve been gaming. It’s a lot. Easily over a hundred. And they’ve been all over the spectrum in most ways I can think of from naughty to nice, wizards to warriors, stealthy to spectacular. There has been a big variety that has stretched my creativity in all sorts of ways, except when it comes to fitness...

I don’t have any clue as to how many fantasy RPG PCs I’ve played over the 30+ years I’ve been gaming. It’s a lot. Easily over a hundred. And they’ve been all over the spectrum in most ways I can think of from naughty to nice, wizards to warriors, stealthy to spectacular. There has been a big variety that has stretched my creativity in all sorts of ways, except when it comes to fitness. There I seem to be pretty unimaginative and that’s kind of hilarious.

When I’m playing a character who is out there having adventures, delving dungeons, and slaying all manner of bad guys, I more or less think of them as being in fantastic physical shape. And I mean on a certain level it makes a lot of sense. If you spend 50% of your day walking, 25% climbing out of ten foot deep pits, and the remaining 25% swinging a greatsword, you’ve probably got a vanishingly small percentage of body fat and rock-hard abs. Even my wizard type characters aren’t pudgy and out of shape, owing that they mostly hoof it everywhere (until they learn Teleport anyway) and carry everything they own on their back. Spellbooks aren’t weightless you know!

I have had, to the best of my recollection, one (1) PC who was fat and that’s because I rolled it as a disadvantage in Powers & Perils in approximately 1989. It was so notable a feature that the character was named “Chubbs” (I was a little less mature back then). I don’t recall Chubbs ever getting played a whole lot. But then again we rolled up lots of characters who got played little or none back then.

This is a bit of a generalization, but I’d venture to say most D&D characters are pretty fit. It makes sense if you think about it: You have complete freedom over this aspect of your character. Even if the rest of your stats are rolled randomly, you get to choose how you look. Paging through most of the art for fantasy games, you don’t see too many couch potato looking folks in the lineup. If being physically fit is as easy as writing the words, “Six foot two and 185 pounds of rippling muscle” into an “Appearance” blank on your character sheet, hey, why not?

It is, alas, not so easy outside the land of Greyhawk. Here most of us have doctors telling us that we could stand to lose a few pounds and cut down on the salt in our diet. I’m not going to sugar-coat this (says the diabetic): Gamers especially have a reputation for not being in top physical condition. The term “fatbeard” is there because it is frequently earned.

I’m not saying fat people are bad people. Far from it. But we know, especially as we get older, carrying extra pounds and being in poor physical shape leads to a host of other physical problems. Getting some exercise and acting a bit more like our player characters in that regard is a way to prove that Wis is not your dump stat.

I coach people a lot about fitness and I struggle not to feel like a hypocrite. My weight isn’t horrible (I weighed 187 a week ago and I’m six feet tall) but my exercise regimen is often sporadic. I’ve been sick a LOT this winter and that hasn’t helped either. I’m doing my best to get back to regular exercise, which, for me, is mostly running on my treadmill.

This is my chosen form of exercise not because I love running on my treadmill, but because it is the least objectionable form of exercise I’ve been able to find. It allows me to get rid of a lot of the variables, any one of which might push me from “willing to exercise” to “screw that, I’ll play a computer game and eat a bag of chips.” My treadmill is sitting five feet away from where I type this so there is no driving to the gym. And it’s never too hot or too cold or too rainy or too anything in my office such that I can’t get on there and run. Plus, it’s facing my computer screen, which means that I can listen to music or even watch a movie while I’m running if I want. I’ve completely set myself up to succeed. And yet sometimes I STILL don’t!

I’ve built other structures into my life over the last year to help me succeed when it comes to fitness. One of them was joining Fitocracy, which is a really cool website that appeals to the gamer in me. You get experience points for doing workouts, which in turn allows you to level up. You can earn achievements for doing different kinds of workouts. There are even quests you can complete by doing certain combinations of workouts. The Paperboy (where you bike a certain distance and then run as fast as you can for a half mile to simulate being chased by a dog) and Evolve (where you swim, do pullups, and run a mile in a single workout) encourage you to diversify your workouts. I know it sounds silly but those sorts of things motivate me and I generally feel better about them than the achievements I earn playing computer games.

In addition, I’ve started a group on Fitocracy (Scott Moore Coaching) so that some of my friends and I can keep track of each other’s progress, offer encouragement, and have friendly competitions with each other. This too has helped in terms of accountability and encouragement. Both of those are huge motivators in the coaching I do, so why not employ them for my own fitness goals too?

Another thing I’ve noticed for both myself and the clients I’ve worked with on fitness is: how you keep score is pretty important. Lots of folks want to lose weight and that’s a good thing. But tracking pounds lost is invariably a game of diminishing returns. The closer you get to your ideal weight, the smaller the numbers are going to be if you are strictly going by pounds lost. Instead, I encourage people to track the how often and how long they work out or the amount of reps they do or weight they lift. Those numbers will increase and are, to me, more fun to track.

I’d like to encourage any of you who are out there hoping to get into better shape to join our group (it’s mostly gamers in there anyway). If you are just starting out, you’ll fit right in with those of us who struggle to get our butts moving. And if you’ve been successfully working out for years now, join us and pay it forward. We could all use the help!

How do you find the motivation to get in or stay in shape? Have you found ways to make exercise fun? Or do you just put your head down and power through no matter what?

nnms

First Post
Celery and cabbage are great choices for post-workout hunger. Eating red cabbage raw after a work out usually works for me. I also find the key is having them available and ready right away. Baggies or containers of chopped up veggies that you start munching on as soon as you are cooled down enough to eat.

Argyle King

Legend
I'm not sure where I find the motivation. I suppose it is just a natural thing for me. I grew up in a rural area, so hunting and similar activities were part of my lifestyle while younger. It's tough to drag a deer several miles if you aren't in shape. In school I played sports. Later, I joined the military. Taking care of myself has always just been a part of the lifestyle I lead. That's not to say there haven't been times when I've been lazy; there have been, but -overall- it just seems normal to me to take care of myself.

I think, for me, something that keeps me going is realizing that it doesn't take a lot of change to make a difference. There are plenty of commercials which advertise insane workouts or extreme diets. Those things may well certainly work, but I believe they would be intimidating for most people. I'm also of the belief that a few of those programs are -to some extent- designed for you to fail so that you need to buy more product. Everyone is going to be different, and what works for me may not work for you, but it's been my experience that a small change can often lead to great results.

For example, consider how much soda an average person drinks in a day. Then look at how many calories are in one bottle. Even if there was just one time per day that you decided to drink water rather than a bottle of Mt. Dew (or other drink of choice,) you'd cut somewhere around 240 calories. That doesn't sound like a lot, but it adds up over time.

Likewise, imagine if you took 20 minutes out of your daily routine to do a few push ups when you wake up in the morning, and then do a few more before going to bed at night. Again, it's not a lot, but that small effort is something which you will notice over time; especially when combined with other small efforts. To me, I've found that realization to be the most helpful because it encourages me and shows me that I can do it. You want to enhance the confidence you have that you have control over your health and believe that you can do it rather than feel hopeless and as though the road to a healthy lifestyle is full of impossible hurdles. Finding that extra 20 minutes I mentioned isn't hard to do. I'd bet many of us spend more than 20 minutes looking at this website.

There's more to it than that. I know there is, but those small changes are a start, and starting is often the hardest part. Once you get started and find confidence in the fact that you can do something, and you do have the ability to make change, it's easier to take on harder challenges.

One thing I never do is tell myself I cannot have something. Maybe it's just me, but when I've done so in the past, I end up just wanting it more, and -in the long run- I just end up binging and defeating my own efforts. I allow myself to eat whatever I want, but I remain conscious of my portions. Again, I will go back to the water/soda comment. I do not tell myself I cannot drink soda at all, but I do tell myself that maybe I shouldn't have so many per day.

On a side note... being 'ripped' and having washboard abs doesn't necessarily denote health. Some of the strongest and most healthy people I know do not look anything like models. Working out with the purpose of looking good is not always the same thing as working out with the purpose of being in shape. There certainly is overlap between the two, but there are also a lot of differences. A good friend of mine; a guy I met through my military service is a world class power lifter. He does not in any way look like a bodybuilder. He even has a bit of a gut on him, but he's probably in better overall shape and health than the majority of people I know. It's important to ask yourself what your goals are for working out. The steps for achieving one goal may not be the same as the steps for achieving a different goal. Either way, set goals for yourself. More importantly, make those goals realistic and realize that drastic change won't be an overnight process.

Blackbrrd

First Post
I do cross-country skiing in winter and take hikes in the woods and mountains in the summer. When the weather is bad, I go swimming. I do burpees, sit-ups and push-ups while watching GSL.

The most fun part is the cross-country skiing which I hadn't done much for the last ten years, but it's really a fun way to exercise since you get a really good variation in workload. Heavy going up, medium going on the flat parts and mostly balance training going down. My girlfriend has a GPS she uses to track and it showed 38km/h down one of the steaper slopes. Pretty fast and a bit unsettling on flimsy 2 inch wide cross-country skiis. ;)

Jhaelen

First Post
I do think the key is to find an activity you enjoy. Exercise should be something you look forward to.
And there's my problem, I guess: I feel it's such a terrible waste of time. Unless I can combine it with something I consider worth my time, I will stop earlier or later (usually earlier)... I simply don't enjoy _any_ kind of physical exercise :-(

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
And there's my problem, I guess: I feel it's such a terrible waste of time. Unless I can combine it with something I consider worth my time, I will stop earlier or later (usually earlier)... I simply don't enjoy _any_ kind of physical exercise :-(

It sounds like you need to find a way to actually change your perspective. Finding exercise tedious or unenjoyable is not particularly unusual; it's by far the biggest impediment to exercise on the planet, and billlions will agree with you. The hard part is still doing it anyway.

But if you feel it's a waste of time, that's another thing entirely. It's certainly not a waste of time, any more than working at your job is. But that's a completely different thing to simply not enjoying it.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It sounds like you need to find a way to actually change your perspective.

Maybe. But we also sometimes forget that we aren't just rational beings, but are often subject to our own neurobiology.

Animals (including ourselves) are build with expectation of a certain amount of exercise inherent in out lives. Normally, there should be zero extra effort - just going about life should provide the requires activity. If anything, animals need mechanisms to make sure we don't throw away energy frivolously, as getting food is difficult at times. We do have some mechanisms to make activity pleasant, as well. We have these in some competition, and the balance point between them will be different in each individual (and can vary for different types of activity).

What do you do if your body is built with a heavy weighting to the mechanisms that encourage saving energy? Your body and brain reward you with pleasant feelings when you're at rest, and outright unpleasant sensations when you're active. Imagine that exercise feels like you're being whacked with a stick. Even if you know, intellectually, that the pain is good for you, how long do you expect folks to continue with the habit?

Before you answer - how many people do you know that continue to smoke cigarettes, fully knowing that it is bad for them? We are talking about very similar mechanisms, neurologically speaking, and changing your perspective doesn't get you past your own neurology.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Before you answer - how many people do you know that continue to smoke cigarettes, fully knowing that it is bad for them? We are talking about very similar mechanisms, neurologically speaking, and changing your perspective doesn't get you past your own neurology.

I'm not clear what I'm meant to answer (I wasn't claiming it was easy or anything; or that that was all there was to it; merely that he'd identified one obstacle and that it needed addressing) but the cigarette example just happens to be one I can relate to personally. I quit after 20 years last June. The thing that did it for me was exactly that - changing my perspective. I somehow convinced myself -finally - that I was gaining health, not losing cigarettes. The moment I wasn't viewing it as a sacrifice, I found it easy; it was making that perceptual change that took me 20 years. But that's one one personal anecdote - don't mistake that for a claim that it is universally transferable or anything.

nnms

First Post
The best thing about neurobiology is that we can manipulate it. For example, it is common among obese people to eat food while not paying attention to it. In FMRI studies, they tend to get the least actual satisfaction from food when they eat it.

But if you simply adopt the practice of only eating when you can pay complete attention to the food, you'll actually change how your brain processes the activity. If you sit down, no music, no TV, no intense conversation and relax while you slowly enjoy your food, you'll change your brain.

Same goes with exercise. There are all sorts of happy chemical effects regular exercise has on your brain, but the only way to get those is by actually doing it. Regular exercise is one of the best ways to realize that nothing you do is a waste of time because you are the one choosing to do it. And you are reason enough.

Ratskinner

Adventurer
It definitely becomes harder as you get older; and you have to watch the "stealth" weight gain (happening so slowly over a few years that you don't notice until it's too late). I'm lucky in that I've never been overweight, but now I have to watch what I eat, whereas I did nothing of the sort in my 20s/early 30s. If I didn't, I'm sure the weight would creep up.

Giving up smoking also made things more difficult; the urge to snack instead of smoke is very strong.

It gets even worse when other injuries or conditions pile up on you. I love to jog, but some issues keep haunting me: Get a gout attack -> spend time laid up -> get plantar fasciatus/back problem/torn cartilage -> spend more time laid up -> gain some weight... rinse and repeat until you are very frustrated with your physical condition. (Although, I'm not even in the worst shape in my group...sad to say.)

Still we shouldn't complain too much about getting older...its better than the alternative.;)

Remove ads

Remove ads