Expertise justification?

KarinsDad

Adventurer
it is alway not worth discussing things that disprove your problems...becuse if we discuse the whole system togather, instead of peiceing out just the d20 att Vs Def part...the n your argument falls apart...

Actually, it does not.

The math does not just illustrate this, but actual gaming illustrates this.

Every single Epic player (so far) on the boards has stated that Epic play is grindy.

Why?

Because even with the synergy bonuses, ~15% fewer attacks hit.
Because monsters have 3x the relative number of hit points, but PC attacks do not increase by 3x damage.

So if you hit less and you do less relative damage per hit, the encounter length increases.

Nothing you have written so far has mitigated these basic facts.

Not just math theory, but actual game play facts.

There are more conditions imposed by PCs at higher levels. But, your POV ignores that not only are there more conditions imposed by PCs, but that there are more conditions posed by the monsters.

Your argument conveniently forgets that there are more Auras, more Ongoing Damage, more rechargeable monster powers, and more monster synergies at higher levels.

Your "discuss the whole system together" claims drop that on the floor and only dicuss the plethora of PC abilities that "offset the math". Why?

Runestar

First Post
What does NAD stand for?
Non-AC defense. Basically refers to your fort, reflex and will defenses. The problem lay in PHB2's epic feats which boosted a NAD by 4, and another feat which added +2 to all your NADs. So for 4 feats, you could get +6 to all NADs. Very good benefit, but again, almost a no-brainer to take, and seemed to run contrary to wotc's stance on feats being nice, not mandatory.

One could argue that it is essentially another feat patch for all PCs having one poor NAD which monsters will probably hit on a 2 or more.

tiornys

Explorer
I understand your point. I am just saying that "baby sitting" an Implement and a Weapon as a Paladin, Cleric or the like isn't made any worse by Expertise. I wold argue that it is indeed made less obnoxious. I now have the option to worry less about the Item I'm using.
How so? If I have Weapon Expertise only, that makes me reluctant to use Implement attacks, and vice versa. If I'm spending two feats to acquire both, that's clearly more obnoxious than only spending one.

But if you're arguing that the hit chances are balanced without Expertise then I don't see how Expertise makes the hit chances worse. If you think that feats are "extras" added to your character then Expertise allows you to focus your character more.
I'm arguing that one of two things is true: either a) hit chances are balanced without Expertise, in which case Expertise is ridiculously overpowered, or b) hit chances need Expertise to be balanced, in which case Expertise is ridiculously poorly implemented.

The same argument can be made for any feat bonuses what-so-ever.
But no other feat is as powerful and as global as Expertise is.

So rather then remove feats that make one attack better then another. Add a feat that can bring those other attacks up to par. The purpose of feats, in my opinion, is to further differentiate your character from characters of your Race/Class combo. It can also help develop a niche for such Race/Class combos.
That works for a home game, but does nothing for an official one. And, it only exacerbates the feat tax issue.

It is the very nature of feats that your character has to choose whether he's going to better at this, that or the other.
It's also the nature of feats that taking one is supposed to be comparable to taking another. Feats with more powerful effects are supposed to also be more situational. Expertise defines its own power class among feats: it is extremely powerful and (for most characters) not situational at all.

Again I don't see how giving a Paladin a free Weapon/Implement Expertise is in fact penalizing him. It is my opinion that the hit chance in a void is too low. Looking at my relatively min-maxed spread sheet the chance to hit is rather low. And that's looking at your better case scenario. If you're then looking at a less effective secondary attack (implement or stat wise) then those chances are even less.
It's only penalizing him relative to the free Expertise feat that you're giving the Fighter. You're boosting all of the Fighter's powers for free, but only half of the Paladin's powers for free.

I'm not arguing the balance of hybrid classes. I'd be using completely different evidence to argue that on a class by class basis. I also will totally admit that I am not completely familiar with classes that my players or I have yet to play or build.
Ok, I need to know what you mean by "hybrid classes". "Hybrid" is a term that refers to a new type of multiclassing that will be introduced in the PHB3, which has nothing to do with the points I'm making. I refer to the Warlock, Cleric, Ranger, and Paladin as dual-primary classes, but these classes are also not what I'm concerned with. One of my areas of concern is classes that have both weapon and implement powers, which includes the Swordmage, Monk, Bard, and Avenger in addition to the Paladin and Cleric.

I am wanting to focus my discussion on the negative trend in the success rate of ALL attacks as a PC levels up. That's weapon, natural, implement and otherwise based attacks all receive a cumulative penalty as you increase in power.
I agree that this trend is bad, and should be fixed.

I understand that what I consider a relative "fix" for this - Weapon/Implement Expertise - to be mostly effective does not benefit all powers and all attacks. So if you have a suggestion that would do so please put it forth. But banning expertise because it doesn't effect all attacks that a character makes while at the same time arguing that it is overpowered is talking out of two sides of your face (and thus an ineffective argument).
See my above explanation of my two-pronged argument. The effect that Weapon and Implement Expertise are attempting to have is, IMO, positive. The implementation through feats is horribly flawed. Personally, I favor a house rule of eliminating the feats entirely and adding +1 to all character attacks at level 5, scaling to +2 at 15 and +3 at 25.

As such your arguments that it makes some attacks better then others agrees with my statement. Just as Action Surge makes Action Point attacks better and Combat Reflexes makes opportunity attacks better then your normal basic attacks. Does this mean that they should be banned as well?
Those feats are sufficiently situational that their power level is fine. One applies to approximately one attack per 1 1/2 encounters. The other applies to basic level attacks that you have no control over obtaining. Expertise is nothing like situational; it applies to every attack that most characters make.

t~

Nail

First Post
Wow. I...probably read that when FRPG first came out but I certainly didn't remember it. I'm sure the Swordmage player isn't remembering that either. He's gone down in the last couple big battles and this certainly could have made it much more unlikely that he would've been able to get back up at all or stay up as long after being healed.

I'll have to let him know about this. Thanks! :cool:
That's just no end of suck, right there. A defender that gets weaker if he drops.

Actually, it does not.

The math does not just illustrate this, but actual gaming illustrates this.

Every single Epic player (so far) on the boards has stated that Epic play is grindy.

really...every singe epiv player??? well me and ross played epic and post here,,,so that is wrong, and no not everyone...even grind posts show examples of the way to avoid it...so please don't try to sound like you speak for everyone...

So if you hit less and you do less relative damage per hit, the encounter length increases.
really here and on wotc I have seen people talk about the bump levels 11 and 12, then again at 21 and 22 being cake walks...look for the thread on troll haunt mod...lots of people said it was way easy...and before expertise no less

Nothing you have written so far has mitigated these basic facts.

Not just math theory, but actual game play facts.
you have no facts, only theory...if you had fact I would have nothing to argue with...but you are so buesy claiming to be right you are not paying attention...

There are more conditions imposed by PCs at higher levels. But, your POV ignores that not only are there more conditions imposed by PCs, but that there are more conditions posed by the monsters.

Your argument conveniently forgets that there are more Auras, more Ongoing Damage, more rechargeable monster powers, and more monster synergies at higher levels.

I forget none of that, mostly becuse I have run into them...again I know that these monsters are beatable in fun entertaining combats...but now you move away from the core arguement again...show me the unbeatable monster...show me the encounter that will grind...show me the FACTS...but you can not becuse no such facts can exsit...becuse every game is diffrent and what grinds for mone group doesn't fo another (Heck I herd some pople had no problem with Irontooth...:-S )

Your "discuss the whole system together" claims drop that on the floor and only dicuss the plethora of PC abilities that "offset the math". Why?
I am more then willing to discuse the whole set up if you are...

Old Gumphrey

First Post
All Expertise feats are banned; instead all PCs receive a flat +1 unnamed bonus to attacks at 11th level which increases to +2 at 21st level.

This changes the average To Hit % by tier to:
  • Heroic 58.5%
  • Paragon 56.0%
  • Epic 54.0%
which is a lot tighter and still allows all the attack bonuses to be meaningful!

Now I just have to sort through the NADs feats and issues. :erm:

Thanks!

Just curious; what do the numbers look like if you do a +1 at 5th, +2 at 15th, and +3 at 25th?

really now... I wish I could search enworld (I don't give money so no search) but here is what I found that 100% disproves this (As if being an epic player and a DM and not agreeing didn't already...)

Some people agree with me here are some links…

From Wotc…

There are basically three groups, in increasing order of size:
(1) Those who think that the feats are a broken way to fix the game math, and either ignore them (math still wonky) or house-rule in a more global solution.
(2) Those who are happy to play with the feats as-written.
(3) Those who are ignorant of the entire controversy.

I dont believe there are a significant portion of players who are REALLY boycotting the expertise feats... and why the OP thinks 4E would be negatively impacted by any amount of players who prefer their house rules over the rules they paid for is beyond me.

Thats right : some other group's house rules dont affect me in the slightest.
House rules are almost always pointless and borne from a misunderstanding of the rules...

This is where I am.

I don't see the problem with the feats. Yes, I understand the math. Yes, I know the implications. No, I don't find it problematic. The game works fine with or without them.

...No. Not even close. I am saying the argument is purely imagined. Either you optimize your character and take every good feat - thus rendering this as a "feat tax" moot; or, you don't optimize your character and it doesn't matter what the feat does or if you take it - thus rendering this as a "feat tax" moot.

The entire argument and "controversy" is solely the result of people with too much time on their hands and mathgeeks.

I must be in camp 3. I've read about how these feats are basically a fix to the game's math, but I've never seen anything about a "controversy", nor have I heard anyone talk about disallowing them.

From here on enworld

Hell... yeah, literally.

We just finished off a 7-session dungeon by facing a Balor guarding the Eye of Ioun. The fight was epic... also literally.

Between Stormwarden and Scimitar Dance, a well-built ranger can put out a lot of auto-damage even when he always misses. I sincerely doubt they're doing the math wrong, for what it's worth.
-blarg

In another example, I play a 12th level wizard in another game and whenever I can't hit a tough enemy, I bust out Flaming Sphere and just park it next to the enemy. Due to my stats and magic items (Staff of Ruin FTW!), they take 1d4+14 points of Fire damage just by being next to it every round. I don't have to roll anything. If the monster moves away, I just move my sphere to follow. That still leaves me with a Standard action every round to try to nail it with other powers.

My Ranger has 24 Dex (+7 mod) and was doing Twin Strike, plus 7 more at the end of my turn.

My ranger is also multiclassed Fighter to get Rain of Steel. My damage with that was 1d8+7 base, +6 for the Pally's Wrath of the Gods.

So: Twin Strike 14 damage + 7 for Stormwarden = 21 on my turn. At the start if its turn 1d8+13 = 14 minimum damage. And technically, it should have been 15 minimum damage since I have Gauntlets of Destruction. So, 36 to 42 damage a round from my Stormwarden even when I missed(which ended up being 95% of the time).

KarinsDad

Adventurer
really now... I wish I could search enworld (I don't give money so no search) but here is what I found that 100% disproves this (As if being an epic player and a DM and not agreeing didn't already...)

Some people agree with me here are some links…

You're pretty funny.

I talk about Epic being grindy and none of the text you quoted discuss the subject. Most of the links you quoted don't even discuss Epic. And these are what you are using to "disprove" that Epic is grindy.

Want to try again?

Remove ads