• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fair trade?

Psionicist

Explorer
Is this fair?

Wizard modification
- Add Bardic Knowledge and call it "Lore" to add some flavor to it.
- Add Speak Language as class skill.
- Remove Scry and Alchemy as class skills.
- Remove the Scribe Scroll feat at first level.
- All spells have at least somatic and verbal (S, V) components unless your common sense says otherwise.

Balanced?

Crothian

First Post
I think it is balanced.

My only comment is keeping Scry unless you have no intention of ever using a crystal ball or other scying device. Scry is very powerful if you use it.

Psionicist

Explorer
Crothian said:
I think it is balanced.

My only comment is keeping Scry unless you have no intention of ever using a crystal ball or other scying device. Scry is very powerful if you use it.

So I can keep Scry without unbalancing it?

Crothian

First Post
Psionicist said:

So I can keep Scry without unbalancing it?

I think so, let me reason this out how I see it.

You give up scribe scroll to gain Ancient Lore (ie Bardic Knowledge). I think that is a straight up even trade. Scribe Scroll is probably a little better over all. However, when Ancient Lore comes into use it will havea greater impact. It just might be only useable once every 4 sessions (this is a guess, it depends on the campaign).

Your getting rid of Alchemy for Speak Languages. Alchemy, again is probably a little better if you have the time and the money. Granted, speaking a language is nothing to shake a stick at.

Why the S and V for all spells? This doesn't seem like a big deal either way, but my group is not overly concerned with the different types of components spells have.

So, yes, I think you can keep scry and have it balance out. Scry is a good skill, but to use it you need to not only put in ranks but acquire the proper spells or wondrous items.

whatisitgoodfor

First Post
Why the S and V for all spells?

It looks to me like he's making a bard with Wizard spell progression, minus the decent BAB.

Personally, I would simply lose Scribe Scroll and gain the "no silent spell" restriction, then gain Gather Information and Speak Language.

This comes out to pretty much the same thing, but if your character is using Cha for spells still, then you will never have the SP to do what you need to do.

Psionicist

Explorer
whatisitgoodfor said:

It looks to me like he's making a bard with Wizard spell progression, minus the decent BAB.

Personally, I would simply lose Scribe Scroll and gain the "no silent spell" restriction, then gain Gather Information and Speak Language.

This comes out to pretty much the same thing, but if your character is using Cha for spells still, then you will never have the SP to do what you need to do.

Nope, read the Gnome Librarian thread in General Disc. and you will know why :)

He has read lots of books. LOTS of books. He has a very odd view of wizards, so he have to cast his spells by weaving his magic wand and say the magic words.

whatisitgoodfor

First Post
Sorry abuut that, I put 2 and 2 together to get 5 again.

I would still talk the DM into allowing either a Knowledge (general) skill for him or just Gather Information. Both of those would do about the same thing, a DC 20 check to learn about the local artifact, or 25 to learn about that handy sword the troll had.

It just depends on what the story reason for having the ability is, and, if you wanna go min/max, which ability modifier you want to use.

I think making it a skill instead of a class ability is better, since you don't get the skill free at one rank per level.

Darklone

Clarification

You don't allow him to cast Silent and Still spells, did I get that right?

That would make up for quite some more abilities.
Perhaps more skill points per level as well.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads