• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fall '03 Iron DM Tournament -- Wulf Ratbane is Iron DM!

Rune

Once A Fool
Pielorinho said:
Macbeth is up for the next round, and has given his three numbers. Who wants to square off against the Scottish Play?

Daniel

Oh, I do. I do.

Let's say, 12,7, & 10

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Third Match: Macbeth vs. Rune

Ingredients
Filthy Nursery
Zombie Swarm
Wyvern
Mistaken Hunch
Nails
Familial Love

Remember, you have until 24 hours from the time-stamp on this post. No editing.

Good luck!
Daniel

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
re: Nifft vs. Wicht

Now that is what I call a match!!

Sweet!

Oh, and Nifft - where in NYC are ya located?

Last edited:

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Judgment posted for Nifft vs. Wicht. Mythago, you might want to hang around these parts tomorrow around 11 EDT or so, when I'm likely to start looking for the final matchup of the first round. You'll be up against Cool Hand Luke, and I can start you guys as soon as both entries from the current round are in and we can all check in.

Daniel

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Wicht by a hair!

Actually, I would have been hard-pressed to choose a winner myself. While I liked Nifft's a whole lot more than Wicht's (sorry old buddy), Wicht's did have a better use of ingredients over all.

I loved the slaves in Nifft's and how they are not all that redeeming - but are evil as well as a result of being repressed - and I love thed great crystal being the cracked mirror - though I think giving it more "mirror' qualities would have been a good idea.

It was a great showing Niffy, and you will be one to watch in future tournaments - we all know Wicht has got the juice to be IRON DM - but it is cool to discover others who have the potential.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
nemmerle said:
Oh, and Nifft - where in NYC are ya located?

I'm in the West Village.

About the match -- this time, I struggled to keep my entry brief. Ah well. :)

More later, gotta go to a meeting.

-- N

Wicht

Hero
Good contest Nifft. Better luck next time.

I gotta agree with the judge, as written, my adventure does seem a bit railroady. The problem was that I was trying for a sense of futility and it came out as ultra-linear. Still it was the mood I was going for and in the end the mood was what helped me win so its not all bad. If I expanded on the idea I would certainly try to throw in some options for the PCs. In the end though, there is only one way to free the Paladin if you play by hell's rules. Options therefore would have to be ways to try and bend the rules or else go around the contest.

When writing the adventure I started with the poppies, the wizard of oz field, and the idea of a sort of dream world, I originally thought of playing nightmare off as the dream not the equine. The infinite wall, the field of poppies, et al. were supposed to be dreamlike and the solutions fairly simple once one got past the difficulty.

As an adventure, I imagined that each test would probably be failed on the first attempt, creating a sense of futility and then later success when it was worked out.

Oh, and what can I say, I am horrible at writing riddles. :)

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Sweet crispy cheezus on a stick, this is palpably sucky.

From the judgements so far, I figure I had the best shot at winning with Daniel as judge-- non-linear? pathos? riddles?!?-- and here I sit, locked out.

Gaaaaaah!

Whatever, I figure I got me one of them curses, like the Cubs and the Sox.

Wulf

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads