• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fantastic Four 2: Rise of the Silver Surfer (spoilers)

Capellan

Explorer
I found it a little disappointing. Obviously, I was never expecting a modern classic, but I was hoping for something with the same infectious fun and goofiness of the first film. This one takes itself a little too seriously, and has an ending a little too pat, for my tastes.

It's a bit like in X-Men 3, where at the end of the Jean Grey plotline, you kinda go "Hang on, is that it?" (it's nowhere near as disappointing a movie overall as X3 was, though)

My inner comics geek is a little sad that there were no purple-clad space giants in goofy helmets, though I can understand why that choice was made.

Prince Atom

Explorer
Several questions keep bothering me about the base where they take the Surfer.

Since when does the U.S. Military have a secret base in Siberia?

If it's super-secret, it must have cost a lot to keep hidden from the Soviets, assuming the base dates from the Cold War. If it's more recent than the Cold War, what did we have to give the Russians for permission to build it there?

If it's a UN thing, why is it in Siberia? Why aren't there Russian soldiers and scientists there?

It just seems like the writers went, "Oooh, hey, Siberia!" If they wanted something icy and remote, why not Alaska or Antarctica? We already have a presence there.

TWK

Cthulhudrew

First Post
The Whiner Knight said:
Since when does the U.S. Military have a secret base in Siberia?

It's secret. You weren't supposed to know about it. :p

It just seems like the writers went, "Oooh, hey, Siberia!" If they wanted something icy and remote, why not Alaska or Antarctica? We already have a presence there.

Good question. I assume it is supposed to be something to the effect of "it couldn't be on US soil, because it would raise human rights issues" (even though they point out that the Surfer isn't human).

I wouldn't think too hard about it, though.

Anthraxus

Explorer
Saw the movie yesterday.

Caveats- I'm not a big FF fan, but I do read a lot of Marvel comics (like Silver Surfer). Didn't see the first movie.

I thought the actors picked for the FF worked pretty well as their comic counterparts, especially the Thing and Human Torch. Reed was Ok. Invisible woman(alba), not as bad as I thought, but still bad. :lol:

I thought the actor playing Doom was WAAAY off from what he should have been. Hollywood-type, and not a deep voiced aristocrat of Latervia???

There were a few changes which I didn't really care for from the comic books, but could understand might have been necessary for a movie adaption. There were parts that changed from the comics, and I was merely annoyed at.

Still, I enjoyed it. Probably a 6 out of 10.

Remove ads