• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite Level: Players

As a player, what's your favorite level range?

• Low (1st to 5th)

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Medium (5th to 10th)

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • High (10th to 15th)

Votes: 24 18.8%
  • Very High (15th to 20th)

Votes: 7 5.5%
  • Epic (20th+)

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have no preference and/or I like them all.

Votes: 17 13.3%

arscott

First Post
Well, I pretty much play exclusively at 5th level and below. There's no real preference involved, though--The games just don't last long enough to make it to higher levels.

Zweischneid

First Post
Well, as in the other thread, Levels 1 and 2 (and to a lesser degree 3) is where it's at.

Every fight has your life at risk and a ill turn of fortunes (or dice) can spell your end at any given moment. To me, thats Sword & Sorcery at it's finest.

I do play all levels though, if only because tastes differ in my group

rgard

Adventurer
Reynard said:
Inspired by this thread, I am kind of curious to see if there's a significant difference between preferred play levels, versus DMing levels.

So, this is the player poll. What level range is your favorite as a player.

I selected any level as it's great to change things up and play instead of DM. That said, I really do love high level and epic level play.

At those levels, your characters are able to play some serious politics and do fun stuff like raise armies, create city states and nation states.

Thanks,
Rich

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
rgard said:
At those levels, your characters are able to play some serious politics and do fun stuff like raise armies, create city states and nation states.

Assuming of course you have a DM that is good at making up rules, the game doesn't have rules for ruling nations, going to war or other non-adventuring types of stuff.

(NOTE: This isn't really a dig at 3e, it is just an observation.)

Nebulous

Legend
Reynard said:
Assuming of course you have a DM that is good at making up rules, the game doesn't have rules for ruling nations, going to war or other non-adventuring types of stuff.

Yeah, IMHO, that is more of what should have been in the Epic Level Handbook, not +10 swords. Just me though.

rgard

Adventurer
Reynard said:

Not sure you need hard and fast rules for all of it. Most of it is a knowledge of politics/history (medieval usually) and some common sense.

Doing the political thing also dovetails well with other things. You send your cohorts off to accomplish some task while your high level wizard is researching spells, making stuff or fortifying the homebase. You can play the cohorts' mission/task or handle both (the other being the wizard's work) outside of the game session.

Thanks,
Rich

Remove ads