D&D (2024) Feats are going to happen

jasper

Rotten DM
If you implying that AL gets a significant amount of attention in rule design, you are not using the red headed step child aphorism correctly.
No, I am using it correctly. Let me rephrase. No too long. Let me sum up.
They are pushing free feats to Adventure League TODAY. So feats are going to happen.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
They are pushing free feats to Adventure League TODAY. So feats are going to happen.
Red headed step children do not get attention, they get neglect. You are still using it incorrectly. AL folks overwhelmingly want this change. Everyone overwhelmingly wants this change. So the proper use would be to say the folks that don't want this change are the red headed stepchildren of the community.

Yaarel

He Mage
So rather than being on the cutting edge, AL is on the "trailing edge".

So if AL is finally getting feats now, it makes certain that everyone else has already been going full speed with feats for a long time?

jasper

Rotten DM
No the red haired stepchild is getting no attention but are being forced to eat what is being served. Gee, I didn't see you at the game Saturday night payn, or on the local facebook page, etc.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
No the red haired stepchild is getting no attention but are being forced to eat what is being served. Gee, I didn't see you at the game Saturday night payn, or on the local facebook page, etc.
If the implication is that your local group doesn't want the change, which means WotC is lying about the largely positive reaction to this, sorry but I dont believe that. 🤷‍♂️

Oofta

Legend
I do have to ask, in light of the vehemence of yours and @DEFCON 1 's remarks...why does it matter to you that some people feel that way about WotC and/or the new edition? If you're right, those opinions are so MASSIVELY unpopular that there's no way that any of their terrible ideas hated by 99.99% of the gaming population are ever going to make it into the final product. So why does it matter to you?

There's this thing called humor? Hoping to get imaginary internet points for the win?

I think people get too hung up on the official rules while ignoring the fact that they are in control of the game at their table. D&D has always been a mass market product. It's designed to be reasonably flexible, but no game will ever make everyone happy. The idea that it's somehow a bad thing that the game continues to evolve in directions that any one individual may not care for deserves pushback. Feats are not going to destroy the game, the feats that will be allowed in AL will have an impact so small as to be virtually unnoticeable.

Besides, if everyone just agreed with every thread and every post it wouldn't be a discussion, it would be 100% echo chamber.

Horwath

Legend
I pay attention to how much a feat is worth.

Feat = 8 Proficiencies
Half-Feat = 4 Proficiencies

That said. Some Skills are better than other Skills.

Perception = 2 Proficiencies
The "good skills" (Arcana, Athletics, Persuasion, Stealth, Survival) = 1½ Proficencies
The "normal skills" (Animal Handling, Deception, History, Insight, Nature, Slight of Hand) = 1 Proficiency
The "meh skills" (Acrobatics, Intimidation, Medicine, Performance) = ½ Proficiency
The "worthless skills" (Language, Musical Instrument) = 0 Proficiency

The UA playtest handles Languages perfectly: Common + Background Language + Choice of Language.

Make Musical Instruments free with Performance. Performance might have one style per Proficiency Bonus, including Song, Dance, Acting, Painting, etcetera, and Musical Instrument. Beef up the Performance skill, such as when crafting an item, use Performance to determine its esthetic appeal to improve its gp value.

Merge Athletics-Acrobatics into the same skill. In other words, use Athletics for all physical stunts.

Use Medicine to make Poison, and other applications.

Because the Class and the Background will have already selected Perception and most good skills, a Half-Feat should grant at least 3, preferably 4 skills.

I assume some Tool Proficiencies are better than others, but I havent looked closely at them yet.

Those feats like Prodigy that grant Skill Expertise are powerful and solid.
I like this,

But I rate feats at 12 pts.

then I can have 6 pts for half feat.
So, one half feat can be then split into 2, 3 or 4 parts. or 6?

Skill: 3pts
Perception: 4 pts
"Bad" skills: 2 pts
tool, language or weapon: 1 pt
expertise: 4pts
expertise perc: 5pts
expertise "bad" skill: 3pts
expertise tools: 2pts

armor category: 3pts
shield: 1pt

+1 ASI(max 20): 6pts
+1 ASI(lowers score): 3pts

save(dex, con, wis): 6pts
save(str,int, cha): 4pts

every class gets 5 ASIs.
5×12pts=60.
every level everyone gets 3 feat points
now 1st level feats are between half and full feats. say 10pts.
Now, 1st level 1D&D characters get 13 feat points(10 1st level feat and 3 pts per level)

fighters get 2 extra ASIs, that is 24 pts. split at 12 pts at 6 and 14th level. same as extra 12 pts for 10th level rogue.

Horwath

Legend
Like floating ASIs, this has been a fait accompli for quite a while. A few years after the Anniversary Edition drops, I fully expect the next "midcourse correction" to be separate ASI and Feat progressions, because having to choose "isn't fair, and isn't fun".
I belive the ALL feats will be made in the end as "half-feats" with floating ASI, so you will always get little ability increase and some extra features outside your class to pick and choose.

jasper

Rotten DM
If you're using the Facebook page to see what people are playing, I think I've found the problem with your data sampling.
If only 46K people responded to a survey out of Millions and Millions of people who play, you have a problem with your data sampling.
Aka my group uses Facebook to communicate what is happening.

Remove ads