D&D 5E Fictional examples of Rangers

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
All this discussion of racial changes has made me long for the good old days of Ranger debates. So here we go.

While the D&D Ranger has become it's own thing I think many players still enjoy some amount of emulation when rolling up a character. I want to play someone like blank is something I here often from new players, and sometimes from veteran players too. But the Ranger's identity problems are well documented. So when a new player says they want to play a Ranger I often respond with "A Ranger like whom?".

So I thought some of you might want to join me in a discussion.

To start with I'll tackle the OG Strider. While Aragorn can summon armies of the undead and scry over his kingdom with a palantir he first spent about 40 years wandering the wilds of Middle Earth becoming it's foremost expert on tracking and the the "hardiest of living Men". This was a guy who could put his ear to the ground and tell you where a host was riding on horseback and then ignore that sound to listen to quiter and much further away party of orcs traveling on foot. That's wicked Rangering.

Another example from fantasy novels I like is Perrin Aybara from the Wheel of Time. While you might be tempted to think of Perrin as a Barbarian n account of him once killing a couple of whitecloaks while in a fit of rage, his powerset by the end of the novels is mostly defined by his affinity with wolves and his ability o speak with them, and more importantly his ability to travel into and out of the world of dreams at will. This is as close to a dead ringer for a Horizon Walker's Ethereal Step, Distant Strike, and Spectral Defense as I've ever seen.

So who are your archetypal Rangers? and how do they go about Rangering?

GreyLord

Legend
Gwydion from the Prydain Chronicles, though some could say he was more of a Ranger/Wizard or Druid. He could track rather well (As we find out in the book of three and hinted at later), was familiar with woodlore and small spells made out of plants as well as herbcraft. He knew some magic (which is why it may more be a multi-class character) and was familiar with the world lore.

Robin Hood was referenced (I think) as a Ranger in earlier editions of D&D.

Obviously, for D&D fans who read a lot of D&D fiction there is also Drizzt.

ScuroNotte

Explorer
Aragorn is the perfect Ranger. I agree about your thoughts on Perrin (great series). But don't forget Legolas is also a terrific ranger. The way he hunts and tracts the orcs to the village in the Hobbit trilogy. The way he wields two swords while moving through the hordes of enemies (what the Hunter archetype should have been instead of requiring to be stationary to attack multiple enemies).

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Tarzan
The Beastmaster
Lucan the wolf boy
Grizzly Adams
Disney’s Snow White :)
=> okay so they’re all up on the wilderness, lives with the animals trope

Daniel Boon
The Mandalorian
Disney’s Gascon
Rambo
Baby Bonnie Hood (Red Riding Hood)
Gerald of Rivia
=> Hunters who stalk their prey

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
To start with I'll tackle the OG Strider. While Aragorn can summon armies of the undead and scry over his kingdom with a palantir he first spent about 40 years wandering the wilds of Middle Earth becoming it's foremost expert on tracking and the the "hardiest of living Men". This was a guy who could put his ear to the ground and tell you where a host was riding on horseback and then ignore that sound to listen to quiter and much further away party of orcs traveling on foot. That's wicked Rangering.
I’m hearing that Rangers need moar tremorsense!

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Dar the Beastmaster
He's a master of beasts and knows the land.

Prince Alith Anar the Shadow King

Dark and brooding? Check!
Good at stealth? Check! Tracks down his enemies? Check!
Snipe fools with OP bow? Check Check!
Favored Enemy? Check Check Check Check Check Check Check Check Check Check Check Check Check Check!

Rexxar Champion of the Horde

He tracks, fights, and prefer beast to people for companions. Classic Ranger.

Remove ads