• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Fictional examples of Rangers

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
People always mention Aragorn when discussing fictional rangers (and rightly so), but what about the other ranger from LOTR, Faramir? He's not the "lives in the woods full time" sort, but he and his men are experts at woodland fighting and camouflage. They also fit the mold of protecting civilization.
I did, and I actually left Aragorn out. Not that he isn’t a good example of a ranger, he’s undeniably the ur-ranger. But Faramir and his men have the defending the city element that I was trying to illustrate.

Another thing that is common to the archetype in fiction that I think D&D rangers often lack is that they tend to be part of some kind of order or organization. Sometimes, as with the rangers of the north, it’s a secret organization whose members operate more or less independently. But just as often, as with Faramir’s company, the Rangers of the Night’s Watch, and the Scouting Corps, they’re more official, often military, and work as part of a more cohesive unit. I think the D&D Ranger tends to hew closer to the former, but I think the “protector of civilization“ role make a little more intuitive sense as part of the latter.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I did, and I actually left Aragorn out. Not that he isn’t a good example of a ranger, he’s undeniably the ur-ranger. But Faramir and his men have the defending the city element that I was trying to illustrate.

Another thing that is common to the archetype in fiction that I think D&D rangers often lack is that they tend to be part of some kind of order or organization. Sometimes, as with the rangers of the north, it’s a secret organization whose members operate more or less independently. But just as often, as with Faramir’s company, the Rangers of the Night’s Watch, and the Scouting Corps, they’re more official, often military, and work as part of a more cohesive unit. I think the D&D Ranger tends to hew closer to the former, but I think the “protector of civilization“ role make a little more intuitive sense as part of the latter.

Besides Aragorn you’ve got the Lone Ranger and may be William Tell as literary examples of the Lone Ranger :) May be Walker Texas Ranger, Daniel Boone and the RCMPs

generally though I do think the Rangers group affiliation is implied even though the nature of the DnD party makes them seem independent. Rangers are implied to be associated with Druids and other ‘foresty’ types. Its just that the membership of such Ranger organisations range over a large area rather than being in close regular contact

A trend I'm noticing: rangers tends to be assumed to be able to operate alone - like the time they spend working in a party is the exception. Normally they're out on their own.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
A trend I'm noticing: rangers tends to be assumed to be able to operate alone - like the time they spend working in a party is the exception. Normally they're out on their own.
It doesn't have to be that way. Faramir worked with his men, and there are indications in Tolkien's writings that the rangers of the north worked as a group and even had their own community.

It doesn't have to be that way. Faramir worked with his men, and there are indications in Tolkien's writings that the rangers of the north worked as a group and even had their own community.
There is no element of a ranger that doesn't have exceptions. But even the Rangers of the North seem to have mostly operated alone while in the field, even if they had comrades at their home bases.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
There is no element of a ranger that doesn't have exceptions. But even the Rangers of the North seem to have mostly operated alone while in the field, even if they had comrades at their home bases.
Agreed. I was just pointing out that rangers in a group has some precedent outside D&D.

delphonso

Explorer
Their military equivalent - a scout - was either alone or in a small group to avoid detection. So, most fictional parallels would be the same.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I think it more of a network and rank system. High level rangers work alone. 1st level rangers work in small groups or are given smaller areas to range.

Independent Adventurers

Though a ranger might make a living as a hunter, a guide, or a tracker, a ranger’s true calling is to defend the outskirts of civilization from the ravages of monsters and humanoid hordes that press in from the wild. In some places, rangers gather in secretive orders or join forces with druidic circles. Many rangers, though, are independent almost to a fault, knowing that, when a dragon or a band of orcs attacks, a ranger might be the first—and possibly the last—line of defense.

Only a high level ranger would think he can take an orc warband alone. They would have to call for help. Ananimal messenger only has a base range of 25/50 miles to call for help.

And you have to level 5 to do it in 5e.
Level 1* in 4e.
Level 4 in 3.5.
level 8 in AD&D 2e and earlier.

Otherwise they have to travel back to town or base by foot or mount.

So only fictional rangers are only loners if they are fully in Tier 2. That's the key thing. Low level rangers are not loners or rugged military travelers. Same how a level 1 paladin isn't the smite of vampires and pit fiends.

*level 1 4e rangers must take Ritual Caster and must make a DC 40 Nature check for a 24 distance messenger. So it's more like level 15.

Last edited:

Remove ads