• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fighters vs mages at high level.

Thanee

First Post
werk said:
Fighter needs to win initiative then grapple and pin the heck out of that mage while shoving his guantlet down his throat. Build the fighter so he can do that and you should be fine.

Not without an Antimagic Field. Grapple alone does not hinder wizards at these levels sufficiently.

Bye
Thanee

Victim

First Post
ARandomGod said:
Here's the heart. The fighter can catch the wizard unprepared. Fight him after he goes to sleep and all his spell buffs for the day have worn off, after a day where he's used most or all of his memorized spells. When you awaken him from his sleep he'll be unbuffed and have few spells. You can probably take him.

Eh. Fighters sleep too. And fighters tend to have less options for finding other people and setting up things to protect their rest.

Jack Simth

First Post
ARandomGod said:
Here's the heart. The fighter can catch the wizard unprepared. Fight him after he goes to sleep and all his spell buffs for the day have worn off, after a day where he's used most or all of his memorized spells. When you awaken him from his sleep he'll be unbuffed and have few spells. You can probably take him. As long as one of those spells left wasn't "wish". And/or as long as he doesn't have a scroll of that or something else... and as long as his contingent escape spell has been used up. Etc.
Really hard to catch a wizard unprepared if he sleeps in a Magnificent Mansion every night; which, at 30, he can do pretty trivially.

Bryan898

First Post
I didn't read this whole thread, but if I were making a Wizard killing type I would focus on something like Stunning Fist. Or pephaps the Three Mountains or Anvil of Thunder feats from CW. Cause the wizard to make a Fort save or lose his turn. Maybe a spiked chain, mage slayer, and a helm of teleport. Move in next to him and cause him to lose the ability to cast spells defensively. Basically though, in most situations the Wizard will win unfortunately... ( I prefer combat classes)

Diirk

First Post
Bryan898 said:
I didn't read this whole thread, but if I were making a Wizard killing type I would focus on something like Stunning Fist. Or pephaps the Three Mountains or Anvil of Thunder feats from CW. Cause the wizard to make a Fort save or lose his turn. Maybe a spiked chain, mage slayer, and a helm of teleport. Move in next to him and cause him to lose the ability to cast spells defensively. Basically though, in most situations the Wizard will win unfortunately... ( I prefer combat classes)

That would be great ! You'd teleport in next to me (takes a standard action), then on my turn I'd quicken (with automatic quicken spell, quickened spells don't provoke AoOs) an Otto's Irresistable Dance. You've lost at that point.

To be safe I'd probably have the capacity to cast multiple quickened spells a round and have true strike/moment of prescience up when I hit you with the dance.

Remove ads