File type discrimination

Sm!rk

First Post
Cergorach said:

So... What your saying is that Eric Noah (one of the daddies of 3ED&D) is doing something horribly illegal by posting the Monsters of Faerun as E-Tools downloads on his site? And if Fluid

Let's be honest, if WotC cracks down on the E-Tools support by the community now, they lose a valuable resource. And let's be honest again, bla bla bla more moaning...

Are you trying to spread FUD or are you just not seeing anything anyone is saying? I'm voting for the former, because you seem to take a stab at etools every chance you get. And you continually try to allay me of your honesty, which I am now questioning.

But to contradict your logic, etools is a great resource exactly because the community can contribute. I would even say that was one of wotc's or fluids design goals. They made it simple to enter large amounts of user custom data. Time and money being what it is, it should be obvious that the users would be entering in data. It took years for wotc to develop all that material, do you think a small software developer could compete with thousands of fans all wanting their special modifications in the product? They did the best think I can think of, enable users to input what they want.
You don't have to wait for wotc to come around with an update to srd, they put that power in *each* persons hands. And mind you, not a select group of users that understand some arcane syntax like whatever lst is. So clearly its better than pcgen because it enables many more people to do exactly what everyone wants, add more stuff. More stuff equals better quality product. Your struggle now is because of a lack of foresight.

Cougar

Felis Concolor
Wow. This is a great thread. It seems like Brown Jenkin is mad because his (and a lot of people's) favorite program is being forced to change in some way to comply. And he sees that this new product (eTools) is not being forced to comply in the same way.

Well, I have one simple answer for you. eTools AND the material contained therein AND the material people want to enter are all owned by Wizards of the Coast. Period. Wotc can do whatever they want with it. They can allow it one minute and sue the next. It is their right.

WotC is nice enough (I think the PCGen developers will agree) to talk to companies that have a competing product and negotiate how they can all get along.

Now my opinion on what is going on is this. WotC promised, a long time ago when the PHB came out that there would be the be all end all computer program to help everyone with 3e. This was promised and the idea was developed by people who probably don't even work for WotC anymore. Over time, WotC lost interest in this type of product, especially after the focus shifted away from online gaming. I think now they are happy that some product went out the door. I think they don't really care about what happens now that the rabid eTools fans have their software. If you were ever on the WotC boards you will know why I say rabid. This is why they will allow anyone to enter in the information from the non-SRD books. They will be happy if all the material is out there with no assistance from them. I think there may be a danger of people putting up non-WotC stuff on the eTools boards over at Fluid, or even if they used Star Wars or Wheel of Time (neither of which are REMOTELY compatible with eTools). But that would be easily solved by Fluid taking it off their boards.

So until WotC says don't distribute our material in eTools files, i guess you have to live with it, even though you can't distribute WotC material with PCGen. Complain to WotC. Just don't do it on anyone's behalf.

Mynex

First Post
smetzger said:

Just to confuse everything further. Game mechanics are not copyrightable. So, it is debatable if wether or not you would be in copyright violation.

It's really funny you should bring up, since that's what we (PCGen) has been saying all along. *sigh*

And apparantly we were wrong.

Last edited:

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Sm!rk said:
Are you trying to spread FUD or are you just not seeing anything anyone is saying? I'm voting for the former, because you seem to take a stab at etools every chance you get. And you continually try to allay me of your honesty, which I am now questioning. <1.17MP deleted by SySoP>

I'm not exactly sure what FUD is, but i have a pretty accurate guess (i think). I'm not trying to spread FUD, i'm just a bit tired of everyone busting their caps over PcGen or E-Tools, each has it's own champions (and of course there are the doomsday cults that say Nay to everything), and it seems each time a related thread starts a battle is fought between the different groups. Now i dragged Eric into this (sorry btw) because he is tha man, and people have difficulty saying anything bad about him. If he is doing it and Fluid is accepting this, it must not be all bad (or so i hope so). Call it a confrontation ;-)

As for me 'bashing' E-Tools, not really true. Although i'll admit to anyone that it's initial release is pretty crud (there's missing some basic functionality that should be in there), i think it has great potential. Why else do you think i'm trying to find a solution to the +1 caster level problem? I've put my eggs into the E-Tools basket, mostly because i can expect some commercial support (i hope) and i think my players will appreciate the E-Tools interface a lot more then the PcGen one.

It took years for wotc to develop all that material, do you think a small software developer could compete with thousands of fans all wanting their special modifications in the product? They did the best think I can think of, enable users to input what they want.
Actually Fluid only made the provisions of only enabling users to enter about half the data, and as in everything in D&D a half get's rounded down. Give me 150 man hours and i could produce a written plan on how to implement everything with maximum flexibility, for some reason Fluid failed on the part of maximum flexibility (which is understandable given the background of the Master Tools).
You don't have to wait for wotc to come around with an update to srd, they put that power in *each* persons hands. And mind you, not a select group of users that understand some arcane syntax like whatever lst is. So clearly its better than pcgen because it enables many more people to do exactly what everyone wants, add more stuff. More stuff equals better quality product. Your struggle now is because of a lack of foresight.
I have to agree that inputting a new monster/item/feat/spell is pretty simple within the tool limits. But when you want to make something a bit more complex (such as a new class or prestige class) you'll have to dig into the Access Database and i'l tell you from experience that the Access DB is a lot more difficult to work with than with a lst file (which everyone with a plain text editor could edit/produce). I've spent a good part of my saturday afternoon exploing the DB and am still not sure on what does what in E-tools, but after spending 10 minutes browsing through some lst files i could make them...

Now my question to you, do you want WotC to crush the E-Tools files swapping activity? Do you think that would be beneficial for E-Tools as a tool? Do you think discussing E-Tools user transgressions will allow PcGen to suddenly be allowed to distribute WotC IP? If you answered all the above questions with no, what exactly is the point of discussing the above?

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
Boy, it's sure warm in here. ;)

This actually involves some of the topics that are close to home with me (and apparently some others).

In my mind, here are the issues (in no particular order):

1.) Let's deal with the issue of the FanCC giving "permission" for the inclusion of material into PCGen. I am not familiar with PCGen, however, provided it complies with the Open Gaming License, there is no real way to preclude most FanCC material (which is by and large Open Game Content) from being included. As Sigfried Trent has mentioned, when you release something as OGC, you have literally given permission for anyone to use it provided they do so pursuant to the terms of the OGL. That PCGen contacted Team Leaders and Council members of the FanCC (as the "publisher") is nice, but unnecessary in the full sense of the word. Similarly, the "permission" so granted is more of a blessing than permission - the FanCC has no right to stop PCGen from using any OGC material, provided such use is made under the OGL.

Furthermore, it is interesting to note that under the terms of the OGL, a cure period of 30 days applies - meaning if you goof you have 30 days to fix it. While I am not suggesting that this legally shields you from the consequences of using someone else's copyrighted material (it doesn't - I couldn't publish Lord of the Rings, slap an OGL on the end of it, then tell Tolkien's estate they have to give me 30 days to stop distributing it), it seems to me that the 30-day fix clause is there as a gesture of goodwill among all publishers of Open Game Content.

But I digress... on to the meatier issues.

2.) I absolutely agree that PCGen has a legal responsibility to respect the rights of others' IP - and as far as I can tell, they have made a good-faith effort to do so. However, WotC has a moral and ethical right to assist PCGen in their efforts or deny them permission to use material... something that apparently they have failed to do until this time (WotC's policy seems to be to ignore communication regarding request for permission - and I don't mean they don't give permission, I mean they won't even tell you "no"). In my mind, this puts WotC in the wrong, not PCGen - silence on a question can be interpreted as implicit permission or implicit forbiddance. Who is to tell which one the silence means?

3.) Preferred file formats - If WotC wants to use a proprietary format as their preferred format, that is their right, I suppose. That Fluid seems to have permission to host these files indicates that WotC *is* ignoring certain terms of the license agreement for pragmatic reasons. The issue of "other publishers' stuff" being included is a sticky one, though - E-Tools does not use the OGL - because WotC doesn't have to (a sore point for me - if they want to set the rules, they should at least play by them), and therefore, in the strictest sense, anything NOT published by WotC that ends up on Fluids site puts them in serious jeopardy. I don't know whether to hope it won't happen so that WotC doesn't crack down and I can get a lot of files, or hope it will happen so WotC gets dragged into court and forced to void the terms of its license agreement (since it wasn't obeying them in the first place).

Wow. This is a great thread. It seems like Brown Jenkin is mad because his (and a lot of people's) favorite program is being forced to change in some way to comply. And he sees that this new product (eTools) is not being forced to comply in the same way.
It's certainly within the bounds of legality, but is ethically and morally bankrupt. Similar to WotC's continued delays on approving - and adding to - the SRD. That thing should have been approved by WotC's legal beagles within a month of the MM's release. It's been almost two years. Bleah. Don't get me started on that either. Get on the ball, WotC - it looks REAL unprofessional and in bad faith.

4.)
f course no other industry has been able to get a law passed that allowed something that was tangibly purchased to be construed as a license to use the product instead of an outright possession.
Precisely. Software companies are NOT interested in "innovation." If they were, all programs would be open source so ANYONE could innovate on it (the largest talent pool possible). Software companies are interested in MONEY (which is not in and of itself a bad thing - if they weren't they'd cease to exist) but there is much truth to the barb that "software companies only innovate when they litigate."

5) This is insulting...

There is no issue. WoTC owns the IP, they can do with it as they please. The real facts are that pcgen have been commercially exploiting all sorts of IP for the past two years with no say so from the owners. The hoped to exist under the blind eye of a large corp and succeeded, until now.

What I find funny are group of people that somehow manage to ignore common sense and feel they have a right to pirate material all in the name of Open Source.

I find this more than a bit insulting. One provision of copyright law is the right of "transfer of medium" (IANAL, so that may not be the legal term for it) but essentially, it is the right of someone who purchases a work to transcribe it - or cause it to be transcribed - into another medium for their own personal use. I own a CD burner. I use it to make copies of my audio CDs. I take the burned copy in my CD player and play it. I put the original copy into archive/storage. Some of my CDs I instead transfer to MP3's and put onto my hard drive so I can play them from the hard drive (the original CD stays in storage). By the same token, if I transfer data - even copyrighted data - into a digital format because I prefer to have it that way, that is my right. I have pirated nothing (though there are many forces out there working hard to take away that right, believe me). What does PCGen offer? As far as I can tell, it offers to me (personally) the same data I have in my bookshelf in an electronic format. I have every right to access that data in that format.

That the distribution method happens to be an Open Source program makes no difference - you're confusing the issue there. Open Source <> piracy, though apparently you are of the opinion that the two are essentially one and the same. That in and of itself tells me that we disagree on some fundamental points (below). You certainly have a right to your opinion, and in many ways, the legal system agrees with you. I happen to think that makes it a morally bankrupt legal system and the true "pirates" of IP are companies that continue to pirate the public domain by continuously extending copyright length (remember your history - classic "pirates" from the 17th century usually operated under a charter and with the blessings of a government - one that was corrupt and in collusion with the pirates - pirates did not operate outside the law), but that's beside the point.

6.) Those of you who don't want to listen to a long rant on PI and IP and social contracts and copyright will want to stop reading here.

The whole concept of Product Identity ("PI") and Intellectual Property "IP" are two very different things... and I believe some of the posts here have confused them.

Myself, I personally am of the opinion that the term "Intellectual Property" is a gross misnomer and that the concept that an idea - or the expression thereof - is some form of "property" is morally and ethically reprehensible and invalid. I understand that copyright does not protect the idea, merely the set of words and/or images used to express that idea.

However, the original purpose of copyright was essentially to compensate the person who took the time to transcribe the idea, taking it from a nebulous concept to a set of words and/or images (or sound, or what have you - essentially, into a communicable medium). There was never any concept of "ownership" of the idea - or the words/images involved. They were and are not property in the traditional sense because of the lack of exclusivity of ownership (i.e., my owning a thing naturally precludes you from owning it and vice versa - if I own a car, you cannot own that same car - you may own another car just like it, but it is a different car with a different VIN, etc.). However, companies and individuals have twisted the definition of copyright to create the concept of "intellectual property." My owning the exact same idea as you in no way interferes with your right to own and use that idea. I could go on, but suffice to say that I personally feel that copyright as it exists today is pure bovine scatology.

Society originally invented the concept of copyright to incent the person who took the time to make an idea communicable - with no incentive to transcribe something, why take the time to do it? - before eventually passing that "Transcript" into this nifty thing called the "public domain" where EVERY member of society could be enriched by it freely. However, the current twisting of copyright law to make things such as "intellectual property" essentially permanent, hence completely stopping the flow of ideas into the public domain, attacks the very reason society granted copyright in the first place. Anyone who argues for intellectual property rights is very literally placing himself at odds with society at large. This being the case, Intellectual Property is an enemy of society and should be attacked vigorously by society (it is not attacked by lawmakers, because they are in the pockets of those who claim to "own" the IP, but Napster, the Internet, and other such technologies clearly show that society itself is at war - and rightly so - with the concept of IP).

I have digressed considerably from the main stream of the arguments here, so let me pull it back. The argument that, "it's WotC's intellectual property, so they should be able to bully people into non-use or allow free use as they choose" does not hold water for me. Something can be legal but immoral and unethical. Since I hold morality and ethics in higher esteem than law (call me Chaotic Good if you must), I will tell you that WotC has the legal right to do so, but not the "true" or "natural" right to do so. If the law is unethical, is it ethical to obey the law (pose THAT one to your LG paladin some time)?

Bottom line:

Is WotC within its legal rights to "bother" (for lack of a more neutral term) PCGen? Absolutely.
Is WotC's position unassailable? No. WotC's silence on many issues is an ethical and moral shortfall, and they ought to have suspected that something like PCGen would happen due to the incompetence shown in the development of Master Tools.
Do I agree with Sm!rk? No, because I proceed from a different set of premises.
Does my opinion matter? Probably not.
Why is this post so long? Because I am long-winded and ramble.

Flame on! :)

--The Sigil

Sm!rk

First Post
I partially agree with your assesment of our current copyright concept, and the bad signs on which way it is heading. But, it is what it is. Law or no law, pcgen is not making a statement of civil diobediance, they are using wotc IP to create value in their product.

Your cd analogy does not apply, for the same reason that I can't say "oh I don't have a cd burner so hence can't make a "backup" so can you send me the full cd in mp3 format, thx!" You can freely copy for your personal use because simply there is no enforceable way to prevent that, give away that which you cannot hold.

The Sigil said:
of a blessing than permission - the FanCC has no right to stop PCGen from using any OGC material, provided such use is made under the OGL.

Thats only if the other product is also OGC, which pcgen upto v3 was not (and are still repairing now). These are the same concepts used in GPL, if I make some GPL software you can use it and reuse it as long you also follow the GPL. If you are not GPL then you certainly cannot use other GPL. LGPL is a bit different.

2.) I absolutely agree that PCGen has a legal responsibility to respect the rights of others' IP - and as far as I can tell, they have made a good-faith effort to do so.

I take a harder line than that, the mere fact that they have violated it for 2 years should show that they aren't doing anything in good faith. They willfully used non-SRD, non-OGC for at least 2 years.

Who is to tell which one the silence means?

Thats pretty shaky logic. Silence means exactly that, nothing. Is the material OGC? If no, then you can't use it, simple. Just because you *want* to use it, doesn't make it a moral imperative for wotc to come forward and let you know wether you can or can't.

being included is a sticky one, though - E-Tools does not use the OGL - because WotC doesn't have to (a sore point for me - if they want to set the rules, they should at least play by them), and

The one with the gold makes the rules. You complaining about that just sounds like whining. Its *their* ball, they *can* take it home with them.

Precisely. Software companies are NOT interested in "innovation." If they were, all programs would be open source so ANYONE could innovate on it (the largest talent pool possible). Software companies are interested in MONEY (which is

So there is no innovation in commercial software? But I agree pcgen has lots of innovation, I'm still astounded by the skill it took to get 5 different window edge effects on the same screen.

However, the original purpose of copyright was essentially to compensate the person who took the time to transcribe the idea, taking it from a nebulous concept to a set of words and/or

It was nothing about compensate. It was to encourage you to put it in paper (etc) so that all the people could benefit. You could give it for free or sell it, but it is protected from being "copied" by another entity. The base concept is really simple.

My owning the exact same idea as you in no way interferes with your right to own and use that idea.

Yes and that is exactly why we have copyright, so that you can print your idea and we *all* can benefit. Its just that for the first gazillion years you have strict "copying rights". So I can't take your idea, add nothing to it, then reprint it and make money. Pcgen is doing exactly that.

Anyone who argues for intellectual property rights is very literally placing himself at odds with society at large.

Is that a rephrashed version of, no true scotsman would argue for IP? I think so.

You either support it or you don't. If you don't support it then you have civil disobediance and other means to protest. Pcgen is doing none of that, they are within the system trying to benefit from using the IP, they aren't making any stand for protest. They are personally benefitting from the use of the IP. I would guess Stallman would be outraged to hear that they are violating copyright and earning money from doing so, all under the name of LGPL.

This being the case, Intellectual Property is an enemy of society and should be attacked vigorously by society (it is not attacked by lawmakers, because they are in the pockets of those who claim to "own" the IP, but Napster, the Internet, and other such technologies clearly show that society itself is at war - and rightly so - with the concept of IP).

Oh my. Is that so? The simple fact that Napster existed to transfer IP should already prove that "it" (music in this case) very much is already property, maybe its your view of property that is outdated and at odds with society, property is not so much attached to real world mass than value.
There is no struggle, there is no war. People have been voilating copyright and reselling copies since the birth of it all. This means nothing about the validity of copyright, for the same reason that people still murdering doesn't mean that murder should be legal. Automatic weapons, explosives makes wholesale killing as easy as the internet makes pirating music, books and software, this says nothing about the validity of laws setup to prevent either action.
What it really is, is power, and with that comes responsibility, most people cannot handle that level and will abuse it, by pirating or killing people.

Since I hold morality and ethics in higher esteem than law (call me Chaotic Good if you must), I will tell you that WotC has the legal right to do so, but not the "true" or "natural" right to do so. If the law is unethical, is it ethical to obey the law (pose THAT one to your LG paladin some time)?

If I have learned anything from D&D it is that there are 9 alignments. My morality is that of true neutral, we differ, so which one of us is right? (That last part you can't learn from D&D.)

Luke

Explorer
The Sigil said:

However, WotC has a moral and ethical right to assist PCGen in their efforts or deny them permission to use material... something that apparently they have failed to do until this time (WotC's policy seems to be to ignore communication regarding request for permission - and I don't mean they don't give permission, I mean they won't even tell you "no"). In my mind, this puts WotC in the wrong, not PCGen - silence on a question can be interpreted as implicit permission or implicit forbiddance. Who is to tell which one the silence means?

Not really. The PCGen team knowingly avoided using either the OGL or the D20 license. This was deliberate, and hence WotC were under no obligation so show how and where the violations were made.
PCGen were first on the block with decent character generation. What WotC did, until they had their own product, was to allow PCGen to continue - to the benfit of the community. I think this is a point in WotC's favour. They could have stopped this a long time ago, but chose to let it continue - to the benefit of the community. They are, however, a commercial entity that feed the families of staff, and it would have been unfathomable for them to allow PCGen to continue to "break the rules", to the detriment of their own product.
I know that to some of us hobbiests this may seem like "corporate evil", but to business people, not to do something would seem like "commercial lunacy".

WotC's silence on many issues is an ethical and moral shortfall, and they ought to have suspected that something like PCGen would happen due to the incompetence shown in the development of Master Tools.
Lets not forget that they have also been beseiged by lay-offs and similar problems over the last year. Obviously they're going to focus what resource is left on commercial product that people are eagerly awaiting.
There is also little precedent for what they've done by opening their IP with the OGL and D20 licenses. It's relatively difficult and unknown territory, and it seems to me that they've done the right things by the fans, to the point where it starts to hurt them financially.
Even from the fans' point of view, a lot of people are hoping that WotC do sufficiently well out of ETools initially, so that improvements and expansions may become a possibility. There may even be a "silent majority" out there that doesn't want a PCGen alternative to ruin that chance... Who knows? :confused:

bitz

First Post
MayI quote the user manual of E-Tools... Just to throw fuel to the fire...

"For the truly hardcore, you could edit the Access database table to your liking. This would provide you with a layer of customization to your creations that could not be obtained using only the House Editor. To edit the E-Tools database, you would need a copy of Microsoft Access (about $200 bucks), and considerable familiarity with the software. We don’t recommend you do this however. In fact, we strongly advise you against it.

If you decide to plunge ahead anyway, just be careful if you decide to toss your version of the database out there to the community at large. If somebody downloads your database and doesn’t back up their old version, they will wipe out all their house creations in the process. Or if they build a new creation with your database and then revert back to their database, chances are their new creations won’t work or report properly ever again."

They're saying, "Yeah! Go ahead and share, just beware!"

"Lastly, many tables across the core rulebooks have not been included. We selected and included those tables we felt had the most utility and appeal. Some of the tables we built – like the organization and encounter tables from the MM – aren’t really tables to be found in the MM in the first place. We just thought it was cool to generate a large, concatenated stat block for a tribe of hobgoblins with a couple clicks of the mouse. We hope and expect the community out there to build the rest of the 3E tables- and some cool unique ones we haven’t seen – and share them with the rest of us.

So, they at least want custom content for the missing tables.... =)

Just mentioning that there is a general positive flow of adding content to the database & files. When fluid releases their Add-On for Forgotten Realms, all of our custom content will have to be thrown out (because of the db changes, most likely), but we'll adapt and use our own 'imperfect' content until then.

I will laugh if WotC/Fluid takes our custom content, tweaks it, and releases it as their own. Lol!

smetzger

Explorer
Game mechanics aren't copyrightable.

Mynex said:

It's really funny you should bring up, since that's what we (PCGen) has been saying all along. *sigh*

And apparantly we were wrong.

I never heard anyone from PCGen say they were going the route. I have always heard PCGen folk say something like: "we have special permission from everyone, therefore we don't need to release under OGL or d20". Thats completly different from saying "we don't need permission"

I believe that it is a gray enough legal area that the copyright issues would need to be settled in court. So, unless WOTC threatened you with legal action, nothing has been decided on this issue.

Mynex

First Post
Yes and that is exactly why we have copyright, so that you can print your idea and we *all* can benefit. Its just that for the first gazillion years you have strict "copying rights". So I can't take your idea, add nothing to it, then reprint it and make money. Pcgen is doing exactly that.

You either support it or you don't. If you don't support it then you have civil disobediance and other means to protest. Pcgen is doing none of that, they are within the system trying to benefit from using the IP, they aren't making any stand for protest. They are personally benefitting from the use of the IP. I would guess Stallman would be outraged to hear that they are violating copyright and earning money from doing so, all under the name of LGPL.

I don't know what your personal issues with PCGen are, and I really don't care. However I do care that you are spreading lies and slandering the PCGen Team. This will stop. Now.

No one makes any money from PCGen, NO ONE, by any means.

PCGen is NOT charged for, never has been, never will be.

You are NOT a lawyer, you have stated so previously. So you are posting out of your a$$, like a great deal of your posts on this topic.

Learn the facts or shut up and get over it.

Congrats, you've finally hit my threshold for tolerating stupidity.

And yes, I _AM_ angry while typing and really don't give a flying fig whether you're <sarcasm>delicate feelings get hurt.</sarcasm>

Remove ads