File type discrimination

Mynex

First Post
Sm!rk said:

I feel a balance needs to be reached, and am using some spare time in which to balance out the world in this regard. I also agree and believe in the concepts of open source software, being a programmer it is an issue that is close to me. Now when I see someone taking a dump in my well I try to prevent that.

Pcgen is the bastard child here, there are other products not just e-tools like DM's Familar, Campaign Suite that are working within the rights that are allowed, all of them are hurt by pcgens abuse.

It seems you have a very liberal view of making money, I see a Support section on your website which leads to a paypal donation page. How many users have donated to the cause? How many users are specifically using pcgen because it "had" all the wotc materials they all use? How many have donated specifically because of that? Now tell me how many donations you would have recieved had you not made pcgen with all the wotc material? Benefiting from wotc material? I think so.

As a citizen its my duty to understand the laws in which I have to live, I don't profess to be a laywer and if you are looking for actual legal advice you would obviously consult a laywer. However, I do know quite a bit about the topic, and there is no harm in discussing the concept of copyright. In a free country with free speech we can discuss anything we wish, even things that "only a laywer" can advise on.

Cry more?

My intention was not to enflame, but to point out some real points in the discussion that are often overlooked by the pcgen fanboys. Wotc isn't the enemy, pcgen is. It is pcgen who is now "fixing" their product, not wotc.

You're out of line anyway, I only wish you gave so much passion to your own, when they fill every board under the sun about pcgen. If you did the same for people with positive views about pcgen I would accept your sincerity.

1) For your information, PCGen is not, has not, and will not violate the LPGL, so you're wrong.

2) You're trolling. Very good, you got a bite from me.

3) As for donations, exactly zero. That's how many people have donated, so that kinda deflates your point. Since you had no idea before you were talking out your a$$ like everything else.

3) Obviously you missed several posts about it, but we ARE talking to lawyers, and to be a bit more specific, talking to the lawyers of Wizards and one of the lawyers who wrote that OGL license. Gee, I guess we do know our standing, unlike you, who is armchair lawyering.

4) Your intention, like every other post is to troll. You ARE slandering PCGen and the people who work on it. You ARE coming from many false assumptions about things, as you obviously have a bone to pick with PCGen and the people who work on it.

As for my 'passion' I've checked people who go too far, I have no problem with going 'off' on people with extremist points of view. I have said repeatedly there is no reason for competition between ANY of the softwares, in fact many of them work well together. You continue to talk out of your a$$, enciting a reaction.

Well guess what troll boy, I have no fear or concern of coming back at you. :) I am exactly what I say I am, in person or on the net. I don't hide behind a keyboard spouting crap, and I'm perfectly willing to post my location in RL if you, or anyone would care to discuss it with me personally. :)

So here's a thought for you, spend YOUR energy coding something better than PCGen, better than E-Tools, Better than any of the other software out there. I'm perfectly willing to bet anyone that you can't do it. That you would make a mistake somewhere, have an improper understanding of something, then you'd be the one 'fixing your product', you'd be the one someone was calling their product a 'Bastard Child'.

Put up or shut up.

Sm!rk

First Post
The Sigil said:
(e.g., not photocopying and redistributing books, but photocopying a section so he himself can highlight it)."

This is a bit offtopic and I'll just say that generally I agree with your views on what it "means" and what it should "mean". It being copyright. But, as I said pcgen is not fighting for some noble purpose. They specifically want people to use their product, for personal fame, more donations I don't know, but its not to "free D&D and my 3rd lvl bard from the evil tyranny of WoTC".

The rules that govern that are called "copyright law." ;-)

That was assumed, I saw no arguments that pcgen was a parody (but actually maybe it is, its a parody of bad UI design taken to the extreme.) or fair use.

In legalese, there is the concept of a "contract of adhesion." This is a contract where one party draws up the contract and the other party may sign or refuse to sign, but may not negotiate the terms. The OGL is a contract of adhesion. If there is any lack of

I doubt that highly. I could see that maybe for things in the core books that weren't in the SRD, but all their other products?

And we all know how popular the kid who takes his ball and goes home every time he starts to lose because someone plays the game better than he does is.

Yeah but as much as we disliked *that* kid, we hated the kid that stole the ball and popped more.

They should have had the PCGen folks develop E-Tools or something.

Yeah, and with their 20 developers and 100+ other support staff it would have cost them 100 times more. OS works when the people working aren't paid, there is no reasonable commercial way to manage the same system. Except as a loss leader.

You miss the point of Napster. I will not tell you that every Napster user had the mentality of "this is my civil disobedience to spite the exploitation of copyright laws by media giants."

Yeah and when I was young I had the same self-delusion. RIAA and the MPAA are evil organizations, thats their charter, but music and movies are a buisness, so they do fight to protect that buisness. And that battle is already lost, because many people do go to stores and pay for the music. Those are the ones that decided that music on CDs were property, now since the majority of those people decided any other view is not the social norm.

By taking it without paying you aren't saying you don't agree with the view of property, you are saying that you still want the property, but don' want to pay for it. The people that truelly oppose RIAA are those that reject commerically sold music and buy independent, or sing in the back yard with bongos and guitars.

Think back on Thoreau, he choose to not pay some taxes, and he also opposed anyone else paying it for him. If he let others pay for him then it would just mean he was a cheap bastard, by also opposing that others pay in his stead he kept his ideals pure.

You could also steal the music on napster and then send some money to the original artists (ie what you think its worth). You think anyone ever did that? Nope. So all of those arguments are false.

Perhaps it is because they see copyright as a fundamental infringement upon their natural right to life, liberty, and property?

You are being very loose with logic here, a grocery withholding an apple from me as I die of starvation is impolite, or inhuman, but not infringment upon my natural right to live.

Pirate: One who takes that which belongs to private entities and/or the public at large with the express permission of, and in collusion with, a (corrupt) government. (This is the way 17th-century pirates worked. It also happens to be the way modern media companies work as they take that which ought naturally to be in the public domain).

I used to share those views, but then I got a job and entered a world where bills aren't "the things my parents pay."
They are truer pirates in the real sense than thieves, but those terms are equivelant. Pirates took advantage of the open spaces of the oceans, they could get away with it because they could literally get away with it, where it is booty and such, you know pirate treasure. Software and other pirates today work on the same principles, copy protection is weak and easily defeated, there will come a time when that isnt true and you will see software piracy go away just as high seas piracy did.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Mynex said:
As for updating section 15, we make no changes to anything, only use the mechanics as they are presented in the works. We are not making derivitive works, so there is nothing to update on that part (I may have that wrong, I'm still going over this stuff, and that part is particularly fuzzy for me, but Wizards is being very helpful on that front, so if I'm wrong, I'll correct myself).

As for the LPGL, you are mixing software and data... the code for PCGen falls under the LPGL and is what is/can/will be D20 Compliant, the data sets DO NOT fall under the LPGL, they are not code. THOSE must be OGL compliant.

Ah, I see. I understand the OGL/LGPL issue - is this mentioned in the documentation? I guess it is now... sorry for bringing it up.

As for section 15, you included more than just the SRD, so you need to update it to include the other OGC.

kingpaul

First Post
CRGreathouse said:
As for section 15, you included more than just the SRD, so you need to update it to include the other OGC.
From what I know of the license, that's true. However, would they need to do some dynamic additions to their OGL, or just have a static one that includes a compilation of all the S 15s from the OGC sources they use?

kingpaul

First Post
Sm!rk said:
Yeah, and with their 20 developers and 100+ other support staff it would have cost them 100 times more. OS works when the people working aren't paid, there is no reasonable commercial way to manage the same system. Except as a loss leader.
I'm confused by this statement. Are you saying the only viable OSs are the ones that are created by non-paid people?

As for paying the PCGen folks, it seems you're assuming (unless you know for certain) that they would demand high salaries. Now, since I don't know what kind of payments they would be interested, its really impossible to say.

Mynex

First Post
kingpaul said:

From what I know of the license, that's true. However, would they need to do some dynamic additions to their OGL, or just have a static one that includes a compilation of all the S 15s from the OGC sources they use?

This is still being looked into, but atm, apparantly, we can have the license itself pop up on startup of PCGen and in the Help About section of the menu items.

Not sure if we would be required to keep the licenses from each publisher up to date, I don't believe so, but as I said, that's being looked into.

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
Sm!rk said:
I doubt that highly. I could see that maybe for things in the core books that weren't in the SRD, but all their other products?
I think I spelled it out specifically, maybe I didn't. WotC books have no OGC and are not published under the OGL. WotC *can* take issue with it. I agree with you on that one. A d20 publisher, whose stuff IS done under the OGL, may have difficulties. Sorry if that was not clear.

By taking it without paying you aren't saying you don't agree with the view of property, you are saying that you still want the property, but don' want to pay for it. The people that truelly oppose RIAA are those that reject commerically sold music and buy independent, or sing in the back yard with bongos and guitars.
I more or less fall into this category. I do have scads of CDs with commercially recorded music - but all are at least 4-5 years old. I no longer buy new ones, and have not for 4-5 years. So I am trying truly to oppose the RIAA, a reversal of previous support. But this is totally OT and I will say no more about it.

You are being very loose with logic here, a grocery withholding an apple from me as I die of starvation is impolite, or inhuman, but not infringment upon my natural right to live.
Ah, but to take that apple without compensation is an infringement upon the grocery store's natural right to property. You have the right to life, liberty, and property, so long as it does not infringe upon the rights of others. My personal definition (YMMV) of "infringing upon the property rights of others" is "any action that directly interferes with your ability to use - and strictly 'profit from' is not considered 'use' - your property."

Taking an apple from a grocery store directly infringes on their right to property. A grocery store which owns an apple may do with the apple as they please (they may sell it, they may throw it away, they may make it into applesauce, etc.) If I take it from them, I deny them the use of that apple.

Taking an idea, by contrast, does not directly infringe upon another's right to property. A person who has an idea may do with it as he pleases - he may write it down, he may attempt to sell the writings, he may dictate it, he may stay silent, and so on. My use of his idea in no way keeps him from doing any of these activities (though if he chooses to attempt to sell his writings, his profit margin may decline). Therefore, stealing ideas is NOT an infringement on the rights of others (under my admittedly strict definition).

Note one thing there - you have the right to ATTEMPT to sell, but NOT the right to SELL, property. There is *no guarantee* that people must buy from you. The store may attempt to sell the apple, but there is no guarantee that they will.

Therefore, taking and freely distributing your idea is NOT an infringement on your rights. If you say, "you cut into my profits" - I point out that you were never guaranteed those profits in the first place. Just as you can try to sell apples for $40 each, but don't go suing the grocery store for your "lost profits" when they sell them for (much) less. It gets murky here with the concept of "my idea" but I am of the opinion that there is no such thing as "my idea" - merely discovering something first does not make it uniquely yours.

I used to share those views, but then I got a job and entered a world where bills aren't "the things my parents pay."
If, by this, you are attempting to imply that I am an ignorant kid who still relies on his parents, you are incorrect. I have a job, a wife, and a child. I pay the bills. I fail to see how this ought to change my ideological bent - unless, of course, I suddenly have a conflict of interest - IOW, if my job is to create my own "Intellectual Property" and sell it (more on this below). That, to me, entails nothing less than "selling out" my ideals for money. If I were to do that, I would be of all men most miserable.

I refuse to change my ideals for convenience. That's why they're ideals (not actions). I may change the way I act for convenience - for instance, I do not "pirate" software and books and CDs because I don't want to be arrested and leave my wife and child hanging (I think doing so is a bigger moral wrong than to try to "fight the power" and rebel in act instead of in word and through attempts to fix laws I think are broken), but that doesn't mean I think "pirating" is inherently morally wrong. I simply feel that my responsibility to my wife and child outweighs my desire to act in a manner that is illegal, especially when I can satisfy my conscience by not supporting organizations such as the RIAA. I may not be actively fighting them, but at least I'm not supporting them either - and I can live with that. My actions are born of expediency, while my ideals are born of... well... idealism. Surely you understand the difference. :)

However, I personally find it extraordinarily insulting that artists, writers, and other "creators of intellectual property" feel that their contributions are so valuable to the world that they ought to be able to do work once and be paid for it forever. It's an elitist attitude that suggests that they feel the world somehow owes them for their "brilliance." To me that is the height of laziness and greed. Screw people who think the world owes them a living.

To continue receiving money over time, most of us in the economy are required to continue producing work over time. You don't pay the plumber who installed your toilet a fee every time you flush it. He is paid once for the initial work and gets no residuals. You don't pay the doctor who set your broken arm every time you use that arm. If the plumber wants to continue making money, he must continue to work and install more toilets. If the doctor wants to make more money, he must continue to work and set broken arms. In other words, "a continuous flow of money into your pocket requires a continuous expenditure of work on your part."

For some reason, the "owners" of "Intellectual Property" want to be above this concept. They feel that a one-time expenditure of work (the writing of a book or drawing of a picture or recording of a song) should translate into a continuous flow of money. Does anyone else find this elitist and/or insulting? I say that those who create intellectual property should be asked to continue contributing work to society just like the rest of us.

The closest thing that we see in the material world to this concept is that of "leasing" or "renting" of land/real estate property. But this also requires a continued expenditure of work on the part of the landowner... if the land owner does not expend work maintaining and/or improving the land, it becomes unusable and his flow of income will stop (because he will have no tenant).

My suspicion - and I have no way to confirm this - is that you, Sm!rk, are among (or consider yourself among) the "creators" of "intellectual property." You have a strong vested interest in the subject, rather than a strictly ideological one. Of course a creator of intellectual property wants to be continuously paid for a one-time expenditure of work - who wouldn't? However, unless you pay royalties to your plumber when you flush the toilet, to your dentist every time you eat, and so on, your "ideology" is every bit as hypocritical as you claim mine to be if I denounce the RIAA while purchasing their stuff (which I no longer do).

This is really no longer on-topic at all and should admittedly be taken to e-mail. If you wish to e-mail me, please feel free to do so at the_sigil@hotmail.com . Sorry if I sound a little hot, but as I said, the attitudes and assumptions of those who support Intellectual Property are usually a bit insulting to me.

Perhaps I have it wrong and you feel that there is a compelling moral or ethical reason for Intellectual Property that I don't know about. If that is the case, I apologize for taking offense at your position.

--The Sigil

Last edited:

Mynex

First Post
Mynex said:

This is still being looked into, but atm, apparantly, we can have the license itself pop up on startup of PCGen and in the Help About section of the menu items.

Not sure if we would be required to keep the licenses from each publisher up to date, I don't believe so, but as I said, that's being looked into.

I have spoken with Anthony again and found out that for every publisher we add their data files to, we will need to update Article 15. so that's resolved at least. :)

And now we know, and knowing is half the battle. ;p

Callypsa

First Post
The Sigil said:

This is really no longer on-topic at all and should admittedly be taken to e-mail. If you wish to e-mail me, please feel free to do so at the_sigil@hotmail.com . Sorry if I sound a little hot, but as I said, the attitudes and assumptions of those who support Intellectual Property are usually a bit insulting to me.
--The Sigil

I agree this is indeed off topic, however, I propose moving this particular discussion to a different thread instead. To facilitate this move I am starting a thread in the d20 publishers forum titled "Can you own an idea?".

I will leave my response to your rather extreme views there, as well as gladly debate some of the finer points of your arguement.

Callypsa

Brown Jenkin

First Post
For all who have been complaining about PCGen and its use of copyrighted material I hope to see the same indignation and outrage over all of the e-tools file shareing sites that are poping up. On some of these sites I have seen non-WotC material begining to show up. I don't know for certain whether any of these publishers have yet given permission, but I myself have seen no such permissions yet.

Perhaps I am wrong again but my understanding is that since e-tools is not OGL (and need not be since it is put out by WotC) that the use of OGC material would not be covered by it. Or is it that anyone can use OGC material without permission, in which case lets stop complaining about PCGen doing it, and being far stricter in requiring permission (at least at the current time). If e-tools files can be distributed as OGC won't they have to follow the OGL requirements that PCGen is being required to?

I do hope that some of these sites will begin to understand what PCGen has been going through trying to get permissions and reach complience.

Remove ads