File type discrimination

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
Sm!rk said:
I partially agree with your assesment of our current copyright concept, and the bad signs on which way it is heading. But, it is what it is. Law or no law, pcgen is not making a statement of civil diobediance, they are using wotc IP to create value in their product.
Point taken there - it is apparent that PCGen is not making a statement of Civil Disobedience. One might argue that some of its users that post on this board are (for the record, I do not use PCGen).

Your cd analogy does not apply, for the same reason that I can't say "oh I don't have a cd burner so hence can't make a "backup" so can you send me the full cd in mp3 format, thx!" You can freely copy for your personal use because simply there is no enforceable way to prevent that, give away that which you cannot hold.
Ah, but with DMCA and its provision to allow "copy-protected" CDs, we're walking down the path to having an enforceable way to prevent that. It's not a case of "giving away that which you cannot hold" in my mind, it's a case of "he that buys the product has every right to do whatever he wishes with it so long as that use remains within his own personal realm (e.g., not photocopying and redistributing books, but photocopying a section so he himself can highlight it)."

Thats only if the other product is also OGC, which pcgen upto v3 was not (and are still repairing now). These are the same concepts used in GPL, if I make some GPL software you can use it and reuse it as long you also follow the GPL. If you are not GPL then you certainly cannot use other GPL. LGPL is a bit different.
I admit to having only a passing familiarity with the GPL, but by your use of the term it appears clear that you have only passing familiarity with the Open Game License (a product cannot be OGC, only material within a product can be OGC, for instance) but let's not split hairs on terminology here. And has been pointed out, it is possible to use anything - OGC or not -in an OGL publication without using the Open Game License itself. The rules that govern that are called "copyright law." ;-)

I take a harder line than that, the mere fact that they have violated it for 2 years should show that they aren't doing anything in good faith. They willfully used non-SRD, non-OGC for at least 2 years.
Using material in products such as Sword and Fist, et al is not legally defensible (agree with you there). I was of the understanding that they asked WotC, "what may we use and what may we not" and WotC never bothered to answer. Assuming they proceeded under the "game mechanics are not copyrightable" assumption, they should have asked WotC "is X a game mechanic." I won't comment further on this since I am uninformed of what discussions did and did not take place (I imagine you are too) and therefore my doing so is merely speculation and wholly unhelpful.

Thats pretty shaky logic. Silence means exactly that, nothing.
In legalese, there is the concept of a "contract of adhesion." This is a contract where one party draws up the contract and the other party may sign or refuse to sign, but may not negotiate the terms. The OGL is a contract of adhesion. If there is any lack of clarity in a contract of adhesion, the interpretation is ALWAYS construed against the person who drew up the contract. IOW, if something is unclear in the OGL, WotC automatically loses the fight as to "how should this be interpreted." I would suggest that publishers that release their material under the OGL and do not make it abundantly clear what is OGC stand to lose any battle over something that is ambiguous (i.e., is this OGC or not? if there is any question, the law automatically assumes it is).

Is the material OGC? If no, then you can't use it, simple. Just because you *want* to use it, doesn't make it a moral imperative for wotc to come forward and let you know wether you can or can't.
Your point that obviously nothing from WotC books is OGC is well-taken. Stuff from other publishers, where the question might be, "I'm not sure if this is OGC or not. Is it?" will be met with a legal interpretation of "yes it is" if the company remains silent (see above).

The one with the gold makes the rules. You complaining about that just sounds like whining. Its *their* ball, they *can* take it home with them.
And we all know how popular the kid who takes his ball and goes home every time he starts to lose because someone plays the game better than he does is. Is WotC within their rights? Yes. Should they have done something about this long ago? Yes. They should have had the PCGen folks develop E-Tools or something.

So there is no innovation in commercial software? But I agree pcgen has lots of innovation, I'm still astounded by the skill it took to get 5 different window edge effects on the same screen.
Looks like some of the PCGen people missed your compliment. :)

Yes and that is exactly why we have copyright, so that you can print your idea and we *all* can benefit. Its just that for the first gazillion years you have strict "copying rights".
Do not agree. The benefit to society comes when anyone can copy the idea freely (e.g., Handel's Messiah would not be nearly as useful to society if we had to kick royalties out every time we wanted to sing it). Not when they have to pay you to use it.

So I can't take your idea, add nothing to it, then reprint it and make money. Pcgen is doing exactly that.
Not only that, you can't take the idea, add a lot to it, and then reprint it and make money. PCGen, in my mind, has added functionality to the basic information. They HAVE added to it. Yet copyright law prohibits them from printing it even if (as they have said) they don't make money.

Is that a rephrashed version of, no true scotsman would argue for IP? I think so.
Perhaps it is. I don't mind strictly limited terms of copyright (e.g., 7 years). But by extending copyright terms to infinity we allow society's natural intellectual heritage - the public domain - to be pirated. It is only when copyright extends to infinity that an idea can be truly called Intellectual Property. If that means I am saying that no true scotsman would argue for IP (where IP is defined as stuff protected by infinitely long copyright), the answer is, "hell yes, no true scostman would argue for IP."

Oh my. Is that so? The simple fact that Napster existed to transfer IP should already prove that "it" (music in this case) very much is already property, maybe its your view of property that is outdated and at odds with society, property is not so much attached to real world mass than value.
You miss the point of Napster. I will not tell you that every Napster user had the mentality of "this is my civil disobedience to spite the exploitation of copyright laws by media giants." But obviously the prevailing sentiment among Napster users was, "this stuff SHOULD be shared - especially with me." Is that a direct ideological war? Absolutely - it is plain that the common user felt that stuff that was protected by copyright ought to be in the public domain.

You are approaching the Napster issue with the assumption that "Napster existed to transfer IP." Hidden in that assumption is "IP is property." Your conclusion is "IP is very much already property." This is a logical fallacy - you are concluding your assumption. I can't really speak to your argument because you have given me no logical basis for it. Your comment that "maybe its your view of property that is outdated and at odds with society, property is not so much attached to real world mass than value" is the only thing that gives me an insight into your views on property. To you, property is "that which has value." I ask you, "where does that value come from?" I argue that it is exclusivity of ownership that creates value. There are two ways of having exclusivity - natural exclusivity (tying it to physical mass, as you suggested) and exclusivity by fiat (i.e., a law is created to make something exclusive). My contention is that exclusivity by fiat is morally wrong, though practically desirable if done for a limited time in order to encourage creation of more "stuff" (for lack of a better term).

There is no struggle, there is no war. People have been voilating copyright and reselling copies since the birth of it all.
Perhaps it is because they see copyright as a fundamental infringement upon their natural right to life, liberty, and property? Perhaps I am outdated, but IMO it is not unethical to acquire more property provided that such acquisition does not relieve others of the use of their life, liberty, or property (note that I do not believe that "property" somehow includes the right to control how an idea is used or expressed). IOW, if I use your idea, it has no bearing on how you use it. (I know, I know, "I can't charge money for it if you're giving it away for free". Tough. You have no right to charge money for ideas IMO).

This means nothing about the validity of copyright, for the same reason that people still murdering doesn't mean that murder should be legal.
Murder impinges upon another's use of his own life, liberty, and or property.

What it really is, is power, and with that comes responsibility, most people cannot handle that level and will abuse it, by pirating or killing people.
Again, you are using the term "pirate" in the sense the media companies want you to. He who controls the definitions wins the game by default. Here are some definitions for you:

Pirate: One who takes that which belongs to private entities and/or the public at large with the express permission of, and in collusion with, a (corrupt) government. (This is the way 17th-century pirates worked. It also happens to be the way modern media companies work as they take that which ought naturally to be in the public domain).

Thief: One who takes that which belongs to private entities and/or the public at large without the permission of a government (corrupt or not). (This is the way so-called "software pirates" work today. It also happens to be the way Robin Hood worked. I will not say that "software pirates" are on the same moral ground as Robin Hood, but understand that the term thief does not always equal moral bankruptcy, just as the term "within the law" does not always equal moral perfection.)

Your choice of words immediately tells me that your worldview is biased and that you feel that the concept of IP is a desirable one. That is your right. But please do not dismiss me out of hand because I hold different biases. I have at least tried to honestly evaluate my biases and know what they are (and share them). That we come to different conclusions is inevitable. I respect your right to your biases and hope you at least see what mine are (even if you reject them as I have rejected some of yours). But don't claim that you're automatically right - claim that you're right "if you subscribe the the same assumptions and/or biases that I do." ;-)

If I have learned anything from D&D it is that there are 9 alignments. My morality is that of true neutral, we differ, so which one of us is right? (That last part you can't learn from D&D.)
Which of us is right? Neither. Both. That's the beauty of life. :)

Thanks for keeping it mostly civil too - although I suspect my tone may have been slightly less than civil at some points in this post. I appreciate the intelligent discussion instead of the flames, even if we don't agree.

--The Sigil

kingpaul

First Post
smetzger said:
I am trying to help PCGen avoid some of the mistakes that they have made in the past. It is quite possible that other publishers thought they were giving permission to a use their OGC material in a d20/OGL product as the netBook Council members had.
But you don't need to have permission to use OGC if you abide by the OGL. And, as Mynex has said
Mynex said:
And as we were told in no uncertain terms, buy using ANY OGC content we agreed, even unknowingly to abide by the OGL. D20 is where are issues lay atm, since D20 compliancy requires that software not have any interactive points to it (like die rolling).
they were, unbeknownst to them, operating under the OGL.
Originally from the OGL
4. Grant and Consideration: In consideration for agreeing to use this License, the Contributors grant You a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license with the exact terms of this License to Use, the Open Game Content.
Therefore, you create OGC, you have granted anyone who wants to use it the right to use it.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Cougar said:
Brown Jenkin did you read MY posts? Did you read anyone's posts?

I could ask the same of you. Maybe I am phrasing things badly but once more I feel as if my question is left unanswered. One last time I will resond to this same reply.

Cougar said:
What double hypocrisy? Wizards can do anything they want with their program. They can allow people to distribute files of that nature and not allow other groups. There is no double standard. There would only be a double standard if two seperate non-WotC groups were developing a character generator and WotC told one that it didn't have to worry about complying with any standard and told the other to cease and desist.

Yes absolutely WotC can do what it wants with its property. If they want to give away the material for free to anyone who asks, great, but even in this case they still control its distribution and use. My point is they are encouraging or allowing with full knowlege anyone to copy and distribute material that they own and are not releasing themselves. If WotC provided this information themselves there would be no arguement, the IP belongs to them period. By not doing it themselves they are either encouraging acts of piracy by thier position, since no-one who is doing this owns the rights to this material they are distributing, or they are saying that it is ok to freely distribute this material. If it is the later then the IP is no longer under thier control and therfore is now public domain since anyone can access and distribute it.

Cougar said:
WotC came up with the OGL and the D20 system to allow game developers (including software developers) to produce material for the D20 system, of which 3rd Edition was the flagship. WotC has been very patient with PCGen (and others) and has given them plenty of time to become compliant, which they are working towards. WotC owns this new system of gaming, so of course they want everyone to comply with it. Now they have produced an electronic aid for their system. They aren't required to follow ANY of the OGL or D20 standards. They can include any amount of material they want or allow any users to enter in what they want.

Yes absolutely. I don't disagree at all. I fully agree that users can enter anything they want to legaly. My point is not the entering but the redistribution of copyright materials. As an analogy that has been used elsewhere. I can make mp3s or cassettes of any CD I own legally. I can not then freely distribute it however. While I am on the example the point I am making is that WotC has said Feel free to redistribute the songs on mp3 but not on cassette. Are these songs now public domain? Once they say go ahead and redistribute are they allowed to control the medium of redistribution?

Cougar said:
I honestly don't understand why you think this is unfair. If you create something, you want to keep control of it. If there was no D20 or OGL license than there would be no debate. You are griping at WotC for essentially being too NICE and allowing other developers to use their ideas.

There would still be a debate as the point is still valid. If I write a book about my life, can I allow it to be copied and redistributed by any third party in only word format, or by allowing it to be freely copied and redistributed in one format am I giving up my rights to it.

Cougar said:
The main point is, WotC owns the file format and the program that is currently being allowed to traffic. They do not own PCGen. WotC will make money if their product is supported by the fans entering in the data from books because more people will see this and BUY eTools. WotC will not make any money if PCGen continues to make available their product (whether PCGen makes money or not).

They can have it both ways. They don't have to allow PCGen to include their material. WotC wants to make money by selling eTools. The better eTools is supported by the community the more people will want it, just like PCGen. The only difference here is (and the answer to your question) is that WotC wants to make money on eTools. For some reason I can't understand you feel this is wrong, even though the program and the IP both belong to WotC.

Whether or not WotC owns the file format or not does not mater. Does microsoft have any claim to the way thier word format is used? Yes WotC will make money if thier product is supported by the fans. According to the OGL/d20 licence which assuming PCGen is in complience with (which should be soon) WotC can not stop PCGen from having a product that is equal to the actual release of e-tools 1.0. WotC is trying to give a competitive advantage to e-tools however by making it so e-tools has more information than PCgen. This is fine and great if it being done legally. The way to do this is to officialy release the extra information. If they did this, then great. I will gladly fork over extra money myself. What I see them doing however is either encouraging piracy to get that advantage or making the info public then attempting to prevent its use by PCGen, both of which I see as illegal.

Once more here at the end I will restate the question. Is it legal for a company to allow the free redistribution of its IP by anyone and still maintain FULL rights to it?

Archimedes

First Post
Brown Jenkin said:

Once more here at the end I will restate the question. Is it legal for a company to allow the free redistribution of its IP by anyone and still maintain FULL rights to it?

Once more I'll answer your question, though I don't know why you weren't happy with the answer I gave previously.

An author of a work holds copyright until 70 years after his death. Somebody that commissions a work for hire holds that copyright for 120 years.

A copyright holder can allow or disallow copying on a whim. There's no way they lose that copyright my failing to defend it.

Others have stated that you can't copyright a system. This is true, because systems are covered by patent law.

Trademarks are a different matter. These are meant to identify and differentiate products or services and to protect a company's "good name" from competitors using that trademark for competing products or services.

Trademarks must be vigorously defended or you lose them! Obviously WotC hold trademarks on Dungeons & Dragons and D20.

This current issue with PCGen stems from them going to WotC and asking to use their D20 TRADEMARK. PCGen will have to follow their guidelines on this whether it has anything to do with copyright or not. I don't think it has anything to do with e-tools either, because the PCGen gang initiated this whole thing!

Intellectual Property is a grouping for Copyrights, Trademarks, Patents, and Trade Secrets. All four of these are covered by different sets of law, so discussing this issue using that term is partly to blame for all this confusion.

Sam

Last edited:

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Archimedes - Sorry about that. Upon going back and reraeding your previous post you did mention this in your earlier post but I read the meaning wrong as it was in very short form. I apreciate the fuller description you just gave. Most people have responded that the info belongs to WotC and they can do what they want, which is not the type of response I was looking for (correct as it may be it does not help understanding the point). I was trying to gain understanding and just giving that reply does not help. So with this in mind Sony could allow anyone to freely distribute mp3s of songs they own the copyright for and at the same time prevent the same songs from being distributed on cassette. Seems odd to me but if this is the case so be it.

Sigil-Thank you also but it was hard pulling out fact from the large amount of opinion that was included as well. I do agree with you on most of your opinions as well, but until polititicians are no longer bought and paid for we are stuck with what we have.

To others I apologize as well for providing a forum where once more we degenerate into the legality of PCGen and thier past behaviors. This was not my purpose but aparrently others thought it was.

Mynex-thanks for defending your program better than I can, unfortunately it had to come to that. Until e-tools can provide PrC support I will continue to use yours, no matter the data provided to me. I can always add what I like.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Mynex said:
And as we were told in no uncertain terms, buy using ANY OGC content we agreed, even unknowingly to abide by the OGL. D20 is where are issues lay atm, since D20 compliancy requires that software not have any interactive points to it (like die rolling).

Since we DID fall under the OGL, and have since the very 1st data set we released, the issue does NOT revolve around OGL compliancy. And yes, this information IS from Lawyers that understand OGL and Software, and it is FACT. WE, as in the PCGen Team, did not understand this, and that is what caused so much confusion in the 1st place, that's OUR mistake.

Why do you say "the issue does NOT revolve around OGL compliancy"? It appears that PCGen is, or was, in violation of sections 2, 6, 8, and 10. It did/does not:
* include the OGL and notice (§2, §10)
* maintain exclusivity due to the LGPL (§2)
* include an updated §15 (§6)
* clearly label OGC (§8)

I'm not trying to be hard on PCGen (hey, free software's great), but I do want to make sure the issue's resolved.

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
Mynex said:
And as we were told in no uncertain terms, buy [sic] using ANY OGC content we agreed, even unknowingly to abide by the OGL.
Forgive me, but this statement is flat-out wrong. It is quite possible to redistribute OGC without using the Open Game License. To do so, you must follow normal copyright procedure. I am fully within my rights to quote OGC as part of a review, scholarly discussion, etc. without complying with the OGL.

Remember, the Open Game License is subservient to copyright law. It does not replace it (nor can it). You may not reproduce copyrighted material without the consent of the owner (except in certain "fair use" instances such as review, scholarly discussion, etc.

The Open Game License is a structure by which you may give open-ended permission for people to use your material (the Open Game Content). Basically, it is a way to allow you to make it EASIER for people to use your stuff because you give open-ended permission to everyone, rather than requiring everyone to contact you individually for permission and to negotiate terms. The OGL does NOT replace copyright law. It operates within copyright law. You grant permission with certain conditions (namely, that the other party also follow the Open Game License). That doesn't mean you can't grant permission on a case-by-case basis with other conditions (or none at all). My use of Open Game Content does NOT automatically mean I have to use the Open Gaming License... I can seek permission from the (original) copyright holder to use it under other terms if I wish (in fact, the OGL gives examples of this by noting that others' non-OGC content can be used (only) if express written permission is obtained - meaning that you can re-use non-OGC stuff if you comply with copyright law).

Just my 2 cents. I am not a lawyer, but it seems fairly clear that this is and always has been the intent and legal precedent/need for the Open Game License.

--The Sigil

Mynex

First Post
CRGreathouse said:

Why do you say "the issue does NOT revolve around OGL compliancy"? It appears that PCGen is, or was, in violation of sections 2, 6, 8, and 10. It did/does not:
* include the OGL and notice (§2, §10)
* maintain exclusivity due to the LGPL (§2)
* include an updated §15 (§6)
* clearly label OGC (§8)

I'm not trying to be hard on PCGen (hey, free software's great), but I do want to make sure the issue's resolved.

You are correct. That is because we were under the mistaken notion that we were following copyright issues not OGL issues.

Since we have been informed that by using OGC content we unknowingly agreed to abide by the OGL. Note, abiding is different then accepting the license. That has been misconstrued as well by several people on this thread (and many like it).

Since we are now well aware that we have accepted the OGL, we are now working to abide and accept the license as well as the D20 license (which is related but seperate).

And we have a clear way to handle to the OGL license display/reprint/whatever you want to call it...

As for updating section 15, we make no changes to anything, only use the mechanics as they are presented in the works. We are not making derivitive works, so there is nothing to update on that part (I may have that wrong, I'm still going over this stuff, and that part is particularly fuzzy for me, but Wizards is being very helpful on that front, so if I'm wrong, I'll correct myself).

As for the LPGL, you are mixing software and data... the code for PCGen falls under the LPGL and is what is/can/will be D20 Compliant, the data sets DO NOT fall under the LPGL, they are not code. THOSE must be OGL compliant.

there is a clear delineation here, and that's what is tripping most people up.. there is the code, a dumb interface that does only/exactly what the data/list files tell it to do, and the data, which is human readable and editable, that tell the code what to do.

they are 2 different things people, please stop mixing them up, each one of them has different roles to play here in this overall issue.

Sm!rk

First Post
Mynex said:
However I do care that you are spreading lies and slandering the PCGen Team.

I feel a balance needs to be reached, and am using some spare time in which to balance out the world in this regard. I also agree and believe in the concepts of open source software, being a programmer it is an issue that is close to me. Now when I see someone taking a dump in my well I try to prevent that.

Pcgen is the bastard child here, there are other products not just e-tools like DM's Familar, Campaign Suite that are working within the rights that are allowed, all of them are hurt by pcgens abuse.

No one makes any money from PCGen, NO ONE, by any means.

It seems you have a very liberal view of making money, I see a Support section on your website which leads to a paypal donation page. How many users have donated to the cause? How many users are specifically using pcgen because it "had" all the wotc materials they all use? How many have donated specifically because of that? Now tell me how many donations you would have recieved had you not made pcgen with all the wotc material? Benefiting from wotc material? I think so.

You are NOT a lawyer, you have stated so previously. So you are posting out of your a$$, like a great deal of your posts on this topic.

As a citizen its my duty to understand the laws in which I have to live, I don't profess to be a laywer and if you are looking for actual legal advice you would obviously consult a laywer. However, I do know quite a bit about the topic, and there is no harm in discussing the concept of copyright. In a free country with free speech we can discuss anything we wish, even things that "only a laywer" can advise on.

Congrats, you've finally hit my threshold for tolerating stupidity.

This will stop. Now.

Cry more?

My intention was not to enflame, but to point out some real points in the discussion that are often overlooked by the pcgen fanboys. Wotc isn't the enemy, pcgen is. It is pcgen who is now "fixing" their product, not wotc.

You're out of line anyway, I only wish you gave so much passion to your own, when they fill every board under the sun about pcgen. If you did the same for people with positive views about pcgen I would accept your sincerity.

Remove ads