D&D 5E Final Fantasy XV for D&D

GreatestHonor

Explorer
Reapertails are large arthropods that thrive in dry climates. Though normally slow moving, it can crawl through the sand with surprising swiftness and sting enemies with its barbed tail. It’s venom sack shrank as its body grew, though, making its stinger relatively harmless.

Reapertail
Small Beast, Unaligned
1599001688295.png

Armor Class 13 (Natural Armor)
Hit Points 4 (1d6 + 1)
Speed 25 ft., burrow 25 ft.
1599001689306.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
12 (+1)13 (+1)12 (+1)1 (-5)9 (-1)3 (-4)
1599001691083.png

Damage Resistance: slashing from nonmagical attacks
Senses blindsight 45 ft., tremorsense 5 ft. passive perception 9
Languages ——
Challenge 1/4 (50 XP) Proficiency Bonus +2
1599001692326.png

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The reapertail makes two melee attacks.

Pincer. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit. 4 (1d6 + 1) slashing damage.

Stinger. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit. 2 piercing damage.

Last edited:

GreatestHonor

Explorer
An omnivorous and ferocious four-legged beast known to form packs and ravage the land. According to legend, it was once the guard dog of the king. Plagued by hunger, however, it ate the young prince, and this canine was cursed to suffer in its current form.

Sabertusk
Medium Beast, Unaligned
1599001688295.png

Armor Class 12
Hit Points 14 (3d8)
Speed 45 ft.
1599001689306.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
14 (+2)14 (+2)11 (+0)3 (-4)12 (+1)6 (-2)
1599001691083.png

Damage Resistance: fire
Senses passive perception 11
Languages ——
Challenge 1/2 (100 XP) Proficiency Bonus +2
1599001692326.png

Pack Tactics. The sabertusk has advantage on attack rolls against a creature if at least one of the sabertusk’s allies are within 5 ft of the creature and the ally isn’t incapacitated.

Pounce. If the sabertusk moves at least 20 feet straight toward a creature and then hits it with a claw attack on the same turn, that target must succeed on a DC 12 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone. If the target is prone, the sabertusk can make one bite attack against it as a bonus action.

ACTIONS
Multiattack.
The sabertusk makes two melee attacks.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit. 5 (1d6 + 2) piercing damage.

Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit. 4 (1d4 + 2) slashing damage.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
A few quick comments
Reapertails are large arthropods that thrive in dry climates. Though normally slow moving, it can crawl through the sand with surprising swiftness and sting enemies with its barbed tail. It’s venom sack shrank as its body grew, though, making its stinger relatively harmless.

Reapertail
Small Beast, Unaligned
1599001688295.png

Armor Class 13 (Natural Armor)
Hit Points 4 (1d6 + 1)
Speed 25 ft., burrow 25 ft.
1599001689306.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
12 (+1)13 (+1)12 (+1)1 (-5)9 (-1)3 (-4)
1599001691083.png

Damage Resistance: slashing from nonmagical attacks, cold
Senses blindsight 45 ft., tremorsense 5 ft. passive perception 9
Languages ——
1599001692326.png

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The reapertail makes two attacks with its pincer or its stinger.
This monster only has two actions, so you can just say: "The reapertail makes two melee attacks." It can then make them in any combination it wants.
Pincer. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit. 4 (1d6 + 1) slashing damage.

Stinger. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit. 2 piercing damage.

BREAK EFFECTS
You can target these individual parts on the creature.
What are these? The description hear does not clarify how to adjudicate the action below. Should this be a trait or a reaction or some combination?
Body. If the reapertail takes more than 2 damage of any type from a single attack, its AC is permanently reduced by 1.
This sounds like a reaction. However, with only 4 hit points, most of the time it will not last long enough for this to be an issue. What are you trying to accomplish? I think you should try a different method or make the monster strong enough for this to matter.

dave2008

Legend
a few comments
An omnivorous and ferocious four-legged beast known to form packs and ravage the land. According to legend, it was once the guard dog of the king. Plagued by hunger, however, it ate the young prince, and this canine was cursed to suffer in its current form.

Sabertusk
Medium Beast, Unaligned
1599001688295.png

Armor Class 12
Hit Points 14 (3d8)
Speed 45 ft.
1599001689306.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
14 (+2)14 (+2)11 (+0)3 (-4)12 (+1)6 (-2)
1599001691083.png

Languages ——
1599001692326.png

Pack Tactics. The sabertusk has advantage on attack rolls against a creature if at least one of the sabertusk’s allies are within 5 ft of the creature and the ally isn’t incapacitated.

ACTIONS

Multiattack.
The sabertusk makes two attacks with its claws.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit. 4 (1d4 + 2) piercing damage.
There is no mechanical point to ever make a bite attack. The damage is the same as the claw (which doesn't necessarily make sense given the name) and it can't use it with multiattack. I suggest team it up with pounce. Make it a bonus action attack on a successful pounce, see example below.
Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit. 4 (1d4 + 2) slashing damage.

Pounce. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit. The target must succeed on a DC 12 Strength saving throw or become grappled by the Sabertusk. The Sabertusk can only grapple a single target this way and cannot take any other actions while it has grappled a target this way. A grappled target takes 5 (1d6 + 2) slashing damage at the start of the Sabertusk’s turn. The target can repeat its saving throw at the end of its turn, ending the effect on a successful throw and knocking the Sabertusk prone within 5 ft of the target. Additionally, if the Sabertusk takes damage while it is grappling a target, the condition ends and it is knocked prone within 5 ft of the target.
I suggest making this a trait (see a tiger) and mixing in the bite, like this:

Pounce. If the tiger moves at least 20 feet straight toward a creature and then hits it with a claw attack on the same turn, that target must succeed on a DC 13 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone. If the target is prone, the tiger can make one bite attack against it as a bonus action.
BREAK EFFECTS
You can target these individual parts on the creature.

Body. If the sabertusk takes more than 8 damage of any type from a single attack, its AC is permanently reduced by 1.
See my previous comments with reaper tail. This is to minor of an effect to be worth page space IMO. 1 AC doesn't make a difference and this beast is unlikely to last more than 1 round.

GreatestHonor

Explorer
a few comments

There is no mechanical point to ever make a bite attack. The damage is the same as the claw (which doesn't necessarily make sense given the name) and it can't use it with multiattack. I suggest team it up with pounce. Make it a bonus action attack on a successful pounce, see example below.

I suggest making this a trait (see a tiger) and mixing in the bite, like this:

Pounce. If the tiger moves at least 20 feet straight toward a creature and then hits it with a claw attack on the same turn, that target must succeed on a DC 13 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone. If the target is prone, the tiger can make one bite attack against it as a bonus action.

See my previous comments with reaper tail. This is to minor of an effect to be worth page space IMO. 1 AC doesn't make a difference and this beast is unlikely to last more than 1 round.
Thank you for the feedback.

1. Yes, i agree with the criticism with the bite attack. In game they don’t even have that large of teeth. I’ve only added it to reflect the creature’s move set in game.

2. That tiger trait is a lot more streamlined, so i will use that. When i first made that stat lock, i was unaware of the tiger’s pounce trait.

3. I have to agree that part breaking doesn't make sense with these lower CR creatures. I am currently trying to work on wording for it so that an individual stat block can be used by itself.

4.To explain “break effects”, in the video game you can target certain monster parts to weaken them over the course of a battle. This is my attempt to reflect that.

5. Do you think a AC reduction of 2 or more might be more appropriate when i apply these to higher CR creatures.

GreatestHonor

Explorer
An albino variant of the sabertusk seldom sighted roaming the plains of Liede. Many believe flexitusk’s to be more violent than their common counterparts, but scientists have yet to obtain sufficient figures to draw a definitive conclusion. Some have also noted a rise in flexitusk numbers immediately following military conflicts, but no data exists to support such a speculation.

Flexitusk
Medium Beast, Unaligned
1599001688295.png

Armor Class 13
Hit Points 33 (6d8 + 6)
Speed 50 ft.
1599001689306.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
15 (+2)16 (+3)12 (+1)4 (-3)12 (+1)6 (-2)
1599001691083.png

Damage Vulnerabilities: cold
Languages ——
Challenge 1 (200 XP) Proficiency Bonus +2
1599001692326.png

Pack Tactics. The flexitusk has advantage on attack rolls against a creature if at least one of the flexitusk’s allies are within 5 ft of the creature and the ally isn’t incapacitated.

Pounce. If the flexitusk moves at least 20 feet straight toward a creature and then hits it with a claw attack on the same turn, that target must succeed on a DC 12 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone. If the target is prone, the flexitusk can make one bite attack against it as a bonus action.

Desert Camouflage. While it moves 20 feet or less per round, the flexitusk has advantage on Dexterity(Stealth) checks in desert environments

ACTIONS
Multiattack.
The sabertusk makes three melee attacks.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit. 6 (1d8 + 2) piercing damage.

Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit. 5 (1d6 + 2) slashing damage.

1599001688295.png

VARIANT
Falxfang. A considerably deadly descendant of the sabertusk. Its ancestors migrated westward in antiquity, eventually settling in what is now imperial territory. Perhaps due to the drastically different climate, the falxfang found near the Fodina Caestino looks much different than its progenitor, but exhibits similar patterns when hunting as a pack.

The falxfang uses the same stat block as the flexitusk, but replaces Desert Camouflage with the following trait.

Swampy Camouflage. The falxfang has advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks made while in swamps, marshland, or similar terrain.

Last edited:

GreatestHonor

Explorer
I'll stay tuned to your thread waiting for the Fishing or Cooking subsystems.

Cheers and good luck!
Awesome, most of the creatures are done and just require an update. I did some work on the fishing system, but i need to fine tune it and finalize the wording. I don't know if I’ll do a full cooking subsystem though, but i might do a series of dishes from the game and give a DC to properly cook them.

GreatestHonor

Explorer
A mild mannered, herbivorous creature with a large, blade-like horn atop its head. Thanks to its long and limber legs, the mesmenir can gallop at speeds that rival an automobile. It’s vehicular potential is wasted, however, as this creature is not domesticated enough to ride.

Mesmenir
Large Beast, Unaligned
1599001688295.png

Armor Class 11
Hit Points 26 (4d10 + 4)
Speed 60 ft.
1599001689306.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
16 (+3)12 (+1)13 (+1)2 (-3)11 (+1)8 (-1)
1599001691083.png

Damage Resistance: cold
Damage Vulnerabilities: fire
Languages ——
Challenge 1 (200 XP) Proficiency Bonus +2
1599001692326.png

Brittle Horn. The mesmenir’s horn can be targeted separately and has an AC 15 and 10 hit points. If the mesmenir’s horn is reduced to 0 hit points, it can not Charge or make Horn attacks until the horn is restored to full hit points. The mesmenir’s horn regenerates and regains all hit points after a long rest.

Charge. If the mesmenir moves at least 30 feet straight toward a creature and then hits it with a horn attack on the same turn, that target takes an additional 1d6 slashing damage. If the target is a creature of medium size or smaller, it must succeed on a DC 13 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

Herd Tactics. The mesmenir has advantage on attack rolls against a creature if at least one of the mesmenir’s allies are within 5 ft of the creature and the ally isn’t incapacitated.

ACTIONS
Multiattack.
The mesmenir makes two melee attacks.

Horn. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit. 6 (1d6 + 3) slashing damage.

Kick. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit. 5 (1d4 + 3) bludgeoning damage. A creature hit by this attack must make a DC 13 Strength saving throw or be stunned until the start of its next turn.

REACTIONS
Leap.
If the mesmenir is attacked by a creature it can see and it can still move, it leap up to 15 feet in any direction after the attack. This movement does not provoke opportunity attacks.

Last edited:

Remove ads