D&D 5E Final Fantasy XV for D&D

GreatestHonor

Explorer
@dave2008, I tried to make a more in-depth explaination for the “break effects” in the mesmenir stat block just above. Does the wording make sense, or have i missed someway it can be misinterpreted?

GreatestHonor

Explorer
A subspecies of mesmenir with a wild disposition. Some hunters have taken to climbing onto a magnanirs’ backs and competing to see who can hang on the longest—a highly dangerous pastime that has led to several problems among the administration at Meldacio HQ.

Magnanir
Large Beast, Unaligned
1599001688295.png

Armor Class 13 (Natural Armor)
Hit Points 45 (6d10 + 12)
Speed 60 ft.
1599001689306.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
18 (+4)12 (+1)14 (+2)2 (-3)11 (+1)8 (-1)
1599001691083.png

Damage Resistance: cold
Damage Vulnerabilities: fire
Senses passive perception 11
Languages ——
Challenge 2 (450 XP) Proficiency Bonus +2
1599001692326.png

Brittle Horn. The magnamir's horn can be targeted separately and has an AC 15 and 15 hit points. If the magamir's horn is reduced to 0 hit points, it can not Charge or make Horn attacks until the horn is restored to full hit points. The magamir's horn regenerates and regains all hit points after a long rest.

Charge. If the magnamir moves at least 30 feet straight toward a creature and then hits it with a horn attack on the same turn, that target takes an additional 1d8 slashing damage. If the target is a creature of medium size or smaller, it must succeed on a DC 13 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

Herd Tactics. The magnanir has advantage on attack rolls against a creature if at least one of the magnamir’s allies are within 5 ft of the creature and the ally isn’t incapacitated.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The magnamir makes two melee attacks. However, it cannot target the same creature with both attacks.

Horn. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit. 8 (1d8 + 4) slashing damage.

Kick. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit. 6 (1d6 + 3) bludgeoning damage. A creature hit by this attack must make a DC 14 Strength saving throw or be stunned until the start of its next turn.

REACTIONS
Leap.
If the magnamir is attacked by a creature it can see and it can still move, it leap up to 15 feet in any direction after the attack. This movement does not provoke opportunity attacks.

Last edited:

Can they be used to gather ingredients for cooking?

dave2008

Legend
3. I have to agree that part breaking doesn't make sense with these lower CR creatures. I am currently trying to work on wording for it so that an individual stat block can be used by itself.
You could always make the monster stronger so that it makes sense.
4.To explain “break effects”, in the video game you can target certain monster parts to weaken them over the course of a battle. This is my attempt to reflect that.
I get the idea, I am just not sure this is the best way to do it.
5. Do you think a AC reduction of 2 or more might be more appropriate when i apply these to higher CR creatures.
AC 2 is better, but it might be easier to have them grant advantage or make them "vulnerable" or something similar. Static bonuses and penalties are not common in 5e. Honestly I really want something more flavorful and interesting to happen than a simple AC loss.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
@dave2008, I tried to make a more in-depth explaination for the “break effects” in the mesmenir stat block just above. Does the wording make sense, or have i missed someway it can be misinterpreted?
I understand the intent, I am just not sure this is best way to do it. I have seen people do things like this (and I had a similar trait for my Primordials in my 5e Epic Updates) and I am just not sure of the best way to do it. The complexity is more than what you typical want for a 5e monster, but that is not in and of itself a bad thing. That being said, I am not sure you getting the impact you want for adding more complexity.

Two options come to mind:

1. Make it like the hydra and have specific effects trigger on the simple reduction of hit points.

From the Hydra
Multiple Heads. The hydra has five heads. While it has more than one head, the hydra has advantage on saving throws against being blinded, charmed, deafened, frightened, stunned, and knocked unconscious.

Whenever the hydra takes 25 or more damage in a single turn, one of its heads dies. If all its heads die, the hydra dies.

At the end of its turn, it grows two heads for each of its heads that died since its last turn, unless it has taken fire damage since its last turn. The hydra regains 10 hit points for each head regrown in this way.

Reactive Heads. For each head the hydra has beyond one, it gets an extra reaction that can be used only for opportunity attacks.
Actions
Multiattack. The hydra makes as many bite attacks as it has heads.

What is good about this trait is there is a real incentive to reducing the number of heads. No only does removing heads reduce the # of attacks on the hydra's turn, but also the # of reactions. I suggest looking for ways to make this trait more impactful. Also, I do think it should be a trait, not a separate set of actions like how you have it listed now.

2. My second thought was to make them mini mythic monsters, but I've changed my mind. I will give it some more thought.

dave2008

Legend
OK here is my take on the Magnanir, just trying to reorganize the break effect. I also added a few comments/notes in red.

Magnanir
Large Beast, Unaligned
1599001688295.png

Speed 60 ft.
1599001689306.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
1599001691083.png

Languages ——
1599001692326.png

Herd Tactics. The magnanir has advantage on attack rolls against a creature if at least one of the magnamir’s allies are within 5 ft of the creature and the ally isn’t incapacitated.

Charge. If the magnamir moves at least 30 feet straight toward a creature and then hits it with a horn attack on the same turn, that target takes an additional 1d8 slashing damage. If the target is a creature of medium size or smaller, it must succeed on a DC 13 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

Brittle Horn. The magnamir's horn can be targeted separately and has an AC 15 and 15 hit points. If the magamir's horn is reduced to 0 hit points, it can not Charge or make Horn attacks until the horn is restored to full hit points. The magamir's horn regenerates and regains all hit points after a long rest.

I moved the break effect to the traits section where I think it should be. I also simplified it and made it more impactful. If the benefit does not have a real impact there is no real reason to target the horn, it is better to just kill the monster instead. Alternately, you could use:

Brittle Horn. If the magnamir takes 10 or more damage in a single turn, its horn is shattered.
If the magamir's horn is shattered, it can not Charge or make Horn attacks until the horn is restored to full hit points. The magamir's horn regenerates and regains all hit points after a long rest.

This option removes the complexity of targeting the horn, but requires specific trigger (10 damage - on single turn).

ACTIONS

Multiattack.
The magnamir makes two melee attacks.
I am not sure this is what you want. Unless it charges there is no reason to make a horn attack since the kick is so much better. I might change it to:

Multiattack. The magnamir makes two Horn attacks. It can replace one of these with a kick attack.

or

Multiattack. The magnamir makes two attacks: one with its horn and one with its kick. It can't make both attacks against the same target.

or a combo

Multiattack. The magnamir makes two Hoorn attacks. It can replace one of these attacks with a kick attack; however, it can't target the same creature with a Horn and a Kick attack.

However, perhaps with the brittle horn trait, it needs be able to kick twice if needed. If that is the case I would increase the horn or charge damage or decrease the impact of Kick.

Horn. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit. 8 (1d8 + 4) slashing damage.

Kick. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit. 10 (2d6 + 3) bludgeoning damage. A creature hit by this attack must make a DC 14 Strength saving throw or be stunned until the start of its next turn.

REACTIONS
Leap.
If the magnamir is attacked by a creature it can see, it leap up to 15 feet in any direction. Perhaps this action should state that: "this movement does provoke opportunity attacks." I am also not sure if this movement means the attack misses or not. What is your intent? Is it an auto miss on the triggering attack or does it add to the AC vs that attack or something else?

Leap. If the magnamir is attacked by a creature it can see, it leap up to 15 feet in any direction without provoking opportunity attacks and the triggering attack misses the magnamir.

GreatestHonor

Explorer
You could always make the monster stronger so that it makes sense.

I get the idea, I am just not sure this is the best way to do it.

AC 2 is better, but it might be easier to have them grant advantage or make them "vulnerable" or something similar. Static bonuses and penalties are not common in 5e. Honestly I really want something more flavorful and interesting to happen than a simple AC loss.

I dont want to make most of these creatures much stronger than what they are. These ones so far are mob beasts similar to wolves and such. So i think only applying it to creatures that are stronger will work better.

I like the idea of vulnerability and other similar mechanics. I’ll apply that to creatures appropriately. The crab-like creatures could then become vulnerable to slashing or something like that after being “cracked”.

Last edited:

GreatestHonor

Explorer
OK here is my take on the Magnanir, just trying to reorganize the break effect. I also added a few comments/notes in red.

Magnanir
Large Beast, Unaligned
1599001688295.png

Speed 60 ft.
1599001689306.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
1599001691083.png

Languages ——
1599001692326.png

I moved the break effect to the traits section where I think it should be. I also simplified it and made it more impactful. If the benefit does not have a real impact there is no real reason to target the horn, it is better to just kill the monster instead. Alternately, you could use:

Brittle Horn. If the magnamir takes 10 or more damage in a single turn, its horn is shattered.
If the magamir's horn is shattered, it can not Charge or make Horn attacks until the horn is restored to full hit points. The magamir's horn regenerates and regains all hit points after a long rest.

This option removes the complexity of targeting the horn, but requires specific trigger (10 damage - on single turn).

ACTIONS
Multiattack.
The magnamir makes two melee attacks.
I am not sure this is what you want. Unless it charges there is no reason to make a horn attack since the kick is so much better. I might change it to:

Multiattack. The magnamir makes two Horn attacks. It can replace one of these with a kick attack.

or

Multiattack. The magnamir makes two attacks: one with its horn and one with its kick. It can't make both attacks against the same target.

or a combo

Multiattack. The magnamir makes two Hoorn attacks. It can replace one of these attacks with a kick attack; however, it can't target the same creature with a Horn and a Kick attack.

However, perhaps with the brittle horn trait, it needs be able to kick twice if needed. If that is the case I would increase the horn or charge damage or decrease the impact of Kick.

Kick. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit. 10 (2d6 + 3) bludgeoning damage. A creature hit by this attack must make a DC 14 Strength saving throw or be stunned until the start of its next turn.

REACTIONS
Leap.
If the magnamir is attacked by a creature it can see, it leap up to 15 feet in any direction. Perhaps this action should state that: "this movement does provoke opportunity attacks." I am also not sure if this movement means the attack misses or not. What is your intent? Is it an auto miss on the triggering attack or does it add to the AC vs that attack or something else?

Leap. If the magnamir is attacked by a creature it can see, it leap up to 15 feet in any direction without provoking opportunity attacks and the triggering attack misses the magnamir.

The more impactful destruction of the horn is simpler, and i should probably favor that if I am going to add a new mechanic like this.

I do like that first one and its wording. I likely will keep the break effects section, because some of the tougher monsters have multiple areas that you can target.

I used the multiattack assuming the magnamir would charge in, do a horn attack then a kick attack. To make this more apparent, i think I’ll use that third idea for the multiattack, since it is the pretty much exactly to what i was planning.

I will reword that leap. The idea is that the attack doesn’t miss, but it leaps away interrupting abilities such as action surge.

Great feedback, thank you

Last edited:

GreatestHonor

Explorer
Can they be used to gather ingredients for cooking?

Sure thing. But i dont want to add a loot section to the creatures stack block. I may just put meats and such as a shop you could use. I wont put any of the non-food items from creatures in that shop, but i think having different versions of these shops would work well. Not every shop will sell behemoth steak after all.

Edit: I will probably add loot for very few of these creatures, such as Adamantoise, or the Astrals. Since a mountain of adamantine would be pretty good loot.

Last edited:

GreatestHonor

Explorer
A large, two-horned herbivore commonly found throughout Leide. Using their sturdy legs to support them, they charge at enemies with their entire body weight. Their tought, armor-like skin protects them from both hunters and the heat.

Dualhorn
Large Beast, Unaligned
1599001688295.png

Armor Class 12 (Natural Armor)
Hit Points 102 (12d10 + 36)
Speed 35 ft.
1599001689306.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
21 (+5)8 (-1)16 (+3)2 (-4)12 (+1)6 (-2)
1599001691083.png

Damage Resistance: slashing from nonmagical attacks
Languages ——
Challenge 3 (700 XP) Proficiency Bonus +2
1599001692326.png

Brittle Horn. The dualhorn’s horn can be targeted separately and has an AC 17 and 40 hit points. If the dualhorn’s horn is reduced to 0 hit points, its Charge and its Horn attack damages are both reduced to 1d4. The dualhorn’s horn regenerates and regains all hit points after a long rest.

Charge. If the dualhorn moves at least 20 feet straight toward a creature and then hits it with a horn attack on the same turn, that target takes an additional 1d8 slashing damage. If the target is a creature of medium size or smaller, it must succeed on a DC 15 Strength saving throw or be pushed 10 feet away and knocked prone.

Herd Tactics. The dualhorn has advantage on attack rolls against a creature if at least one of the dualhorn’s allies are within 5 ft of the creature and the ally isn’t incapacitated.

ACTIONS
Horn. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit. 14 (2d8 + 5) slashing damage.

Last edited:

Remove ads