• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fire and Fury (Grim Tales/Modern)

Mavnn

First Post
Welcome to Fire and Fury. OOC and Rogue’s Gallery also online.

The small group stood in the centre of a small room, mostly dressed in black combat dress with the occasional splash of a leather jacket and civilian dress. The marines (and more than one of the civilians) stood at combat readiness, facing outwards and with the grim, tense expressions of men who know something is about to happen – but not what.

Outside the windows of the prefab hut, snow blasted across the artic landscape, and the temperature inside the prefab was dropping fast. It wasn’t going to need to hold long, however, and the droning voice from the speaker filled the room.

“…four…three…two…one…Mark!”

With a gut wrenching sensation unlike anything any one of them had felt before, the members of the group felt themselves being … ‘moved’ in directions that shouldn’t, couldn’t, possibly exist.

And then the sensation was replaced with the much more familiar feeling of dropping like the proverbial lead balloon.

“Ooooh shii…” someone managed to exclaim before the prefab structure finished it’s 20ft drop and impacted heavily with something very solid, fracturing into a mess of wreckage and throwing men and equipment in all directions.

----​

Until a moment ago, the sunlit plan had been mostly quiet. A few buildings, balance slightly precariously on metal struts 20 ft in the air gleamed with the reflected sunlight of a near desert landscape, the only sound the munching of the two manticores as they chewed happily on the two day old body. It had taken them a moment to rip open the surprisingly tough fabric the human had been wearing, but the meat was good, and there were a few more where this one came from, dotted around the buildings.

Both manticores were therefore both displeased and rather surprised then a small building appeared 20ft up in the air and crashed down to the ground about 40ft away, interrupting their lunch.

They were even more displeased when 4 humans struggled up out of the remains of the building and began waving around what looked very much like some strange kind of weapon.

OOC: Only the four of you appear to be moving at the moment: you’ll have to check on the rest of the transportee’s when your characters have the time. In the mean while, you see the two manticores (your choice if your characters recognise them from mythology) eating from a corpse of one of the science stations security staff (enough of the uniform is visible to ID who he was). It is immediately obvious from the way that they are starting to respond that the creatures are hostile.

Roll initiative :). Or let me – your choice as to whether you roll your own dice or not. If you would prefer to, http://invisiblecastle.com/rolldice.py is my online roller of choice. Post a link to the dice result, preferably with the link text as the actual result of the roll (if you know how).

Mr. Prez and Lord Raven, your (potential) characters are some of those among the wreckage, and they will wake up as your characters are approved.

Ranger Rick

First Post
OOC: http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=88999 An adjusted 22. Due to firewall limitations, I can not change colors unless I cut and paste from word.

Upon looking around Adam sees these creatures. "What in the sam hell is that?" Adam scrambles some what panicky to get to Capt. Lawdon and upon reaching him, he takes a big deep breathe. Calmly, adam points out the two creatures. His initial panic has been ended and calm with reason has over taken Adam.

"Capt., you may want to get some men to shoot at those things. However, I am not sure is puny 556 round can penetrate that hide. You may need a ranger key or two."

Walking away, and muttering curses at that damn yellow General. Adam starts to determine what electronic sensors, commo & commuters are working and if connectivity to earth can be established. Adam is keeping one eye on the battle as he does not want to be the next meal.

Last edited:

Lobo Lurker

First Post
Gabriel 'Law' Lawdon

What the...? What the heck was that? Gabriel fights down the urge the regurgitate the eggs and bacon he'd scarfed for breakfast that morning. Nearby it seems as though someone is chattering away at him. He focuses his concentration and pulls his awareness from focusing inward to focusing outward. Gabriel looks up (1d20+3=5).

Adam said:
...sure is a puny 556 round can penetrate that hide. You may need a ranger key or two."

"Look alive people! We've got a pair of hostiles right on top of us. Focus all fire on the right-most hostile. We don't know how resistant it is and we'd rather deal with only one of them at a time I think."

Gabriel gropes around and finds his weapons. Rising to a fireing position, he sights the strange creature. Taking a deep breath to steady himself, he squeezes the trigger... NOTHING! D$MM!T I can't believe I forgot to disengage the safety. Cheeks flushing in embarassment, he commences his attack, slower than he normally would.

OOC: RangerRick the code for colors is [ COLOR=Colorname ] & [ /COLOR ]. Without the spaces after & before the brackets.
OOC: Mavvn, go ahead and handle my attack/damage rolls. Should make it easier to narrate for you.

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
Ian Raines

Dropping back at the sight of the alien creatures, Ian instinctively drew his heavy pistol, but did not raise it to fire just yet.

"What are those... things...?" he asked of no one in particular. Retreating slowly so as not to draw attention to himself, Ian looked around quickly for cover. After all, he was an analyst, and not a marine. If the fight came down to Ian, he figured they were all as good as dead anyway.

OOC: GM, go ahead and make all of my rolls. I know it's a lot easier for you to run the game that way.

Bobitron

Explorer
Timo moved slowly into a crouch, shrugging his shoulders to get rid of the tightness the fall had left. He was already removing the protective covering to check his rifle when he heard Law call out.

Lobo Lurker said:
"Look alive people! We've got a pair of hostiles right on top of us. Focus all fire on the right-most hostile. We don't know how resistant it is and we'd rather deal with only one of them at a time I think."

Eyes bulging at the sight of the two beasts, he swung the rifle carefully back around to his back and dug a frag grenade out of his vest, ready to throw it at the creatures. What have I gotten myself into?!?

ooc: I am more than happy to let you make the rolls, Mavnn, but if it gets to be too much work, let me know. Timo's Init is +2.

Mavnn

First Post
ooc: Bobitron, Insight - are Ian and Timo actually doing anything, or just readying and then delaying to see what happens? Lobo, I'm assuming a standard single shot from the assault rifle.

Lobo Lurker

First Post
OOC: yes. single shot ('cause I need to look up the rules for burst fire again :) ). No sense in wasting ammo just yet. I'll try to make that clearer in the future.

Bobitron

Explorer
Mavnn said:
ooc: Bobitron, Insight - are Ian and Timo actually doing anything, or just readying and then delaying to see what happens? Lobo, I'm assuming a standard single shot from the assault rifle.

ooc: I don't want to throw a grenade until after I know initiative. Obviously, if the targets rush us, I'm not about to lob a grenade into our midst. ;)

Ranger Rick

First Post
ooc: I am awaiting to see what happens with the monsters. I did not mention it earlier but by keeping an eye on the events, if attacked I will be in full defense mode. Otherwise I am calmly checking equipment.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads