• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fire and Fury (Grim Tales/Modern)

Mavnn

First Post
Adam was the first of the four conscious team members to react, managing by sheer fortune to keep his footing as the prefab smashed into a thousand pieces. Looking up, he caught his first sight of this brave new world.

"What in the sam hell is that?" he muttered as he scrambled some what panicked towards Capt. Lawdon. Upon reaching him, he took a deep breath, regaining his normal composure. I need to check the equipment, he thought as he said, "Capt., you may want to get some men to shoot at those things. However, I am not sure is puny 556 round can penetrate that hide. You may need a ranger key or two."

Lawdon didn't get a chance to respond before the left of the two massive beast roared like a lion, and hunched forwards like a hissing cat, spitting a hail of 2 foot spikes at standing team members. Adam threw himself to the ground, spikes missing him by inches while Lawson rolled slightly to the side and managed to put a shot in the creature on the right after fumbling off his safety.

Ian and Timo were not so lucky, however, still being off balance as they pulled themselves to their feet. Timo felt two impacts (-14hp), but trained soldier that he was he didn't let that distract him from a sports ground perfect pitch of a live frag grenade, catching both the monstrousities for minimal damage. Ian was less used to this kind of punishment and although he managed to pull free his holstered heavy pistol, he put the shot into the ground 20 feet away from his target as a spike slammed into his chest (-10hp). Through the haze of pain he saw the second beast leap high through the air, supported by it's (to his scientifically trained mind) rediculously small wings, and land in the middle the wreckage. It's claws ripped further shreads from the remains of the prefab as it attempted to disembowl Captain Lawson, who calmly stepped aside.

OOC: First round down. Law and Adam are both adjacent to the 'right' manticore, which as a reminder has 10ft reach :). Ian and Timo are a bit further way, on opposite sides of the manticore and about 15ft away from it (ie. just outside it's reach).

Current initiative order is: Adam, 'Left', Law, Timo, 'Right', Ian. I'm afraid I'm taking some creative liberties with the descriptions, I'll try to make sure there's nothing misleading in there.

Lobo Lurker

First Post
Capt. Gabriel 'Law' Lawdon

Backing off a few steps, Law brings his rifle to bear on the monster. What the hell is this thing? Flipping the the the fire selector on his rifle to auto, he shouts, "Get out of the way and take them down! Adam, draw your weapon and make yourself useful. Do you want to die?"

Lining the the monster in his sites he paints a red dot in the center of it's body and unloads upon the beast. "Time to die!"

ACTIONS: 5 foot step backwards (free). Autofire at manticore *4 bursts* (full attack)
To Hit: +10 (+5 BAB, +1 Weapon Focus, +3 Dex, +2 Laser Sights, -4 Autofire (4 bursts), +4 Advanced Firearms Proficiency)
Damage: 2d8+2 on successful hit (weapon specialization)
Note: willing to spend action point for critical (additional damage rolls in this case)

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
Ian falls down behind whatever cover he can find and looks down at his chest, trying to get a handle on exactly what has hit him. "I hope this isn't poisonous," he says through clenched teeth.

When he has found cover, Ian fires his pistol at the creature who shot spikes at him.

Bobitron

Explorer
Timo grimaces as the two spikes slam into his chest. The impact nearly knocks him over, but he manages to fight off the blinding pain and swing his rifle up. Working the safety, he raises the long rifle to fire a .338 Lapua round at the leftmost monster. At this short range, I can't miss...

ooc: Should be a +11 attack, crit on 18+, doing 2d10+1.

Ranger Rick

First Post
ooc I got lucky & have a bit of online time.

Adam glances around for a white phosphorous gernade. "Frags may not work, but 1500 degrees C will do some damage.

Mavnn

First Post
What the hell is this thing? thought Gabriel, before shouting "Get out of the way and take them down! Adam, draw your weapon and make yourself useful. Do you want to die?"

Adam took Law's command to useful to heart, rolling out of the reach of the raging beast as it tried to punish him for his retreat and coming up with a grenade from one of his unconscious companions. "Frags may not work, but 1500 degrees C will do some damage."

The grenade arced across the landscape before exploding in a brilliant white flash, and a burst of flames. An agonised roar echoed from the further beast as it's line of sight for hurling quills was obscured by the rolling smoke. Deciding on a more direct course or action, the beast came hurling out of the smoke (still trailing flames), causing Adam to throw himself to the side as it carved a huge grove in the ground where he had been standing.

Meanwhile, Gabriel had not been oblivious to the opening left when the nearer monster turned it's attention to Adam for a moment. "Time to die!" he muttered as he flicked the selector to rock n'roll and pulled the trigger.

Half a clip later, the entire battlefield paused, seeming almost frozen as they stared at the bullet riddled remains of Law's target. Natural 20 for 57 damage... that is one DEAD critter. Oh, and you need to cross off an action point.

Then the moment broke as Timo, who had been lining up a shot on the beast, shrugged, turned the barrel a couple of degrees and plugged the remaining (flaming) beast in the torso, while Ian continued plugging away with his pistol to little effect.

Beneath a particularly large piece of debris, Richard was suddenly woken by a familier touch... something wet, warm, and: he flashed back to full consciousness as he recognised the feel of fresh blood and the sound of gunfire. Looked like his skills were in demand once more.

Ranger Rick

First Post
OOC I thought they where both dead.
Let me revise my actions.
Captain, I do not have a gun on me so I can not shoot it. Can you please kill it quickly so I can go back to checking out the equipment.

I get into a fight defensive mode so I can be a target, yet have him miss me. (AC 21+6?)

Last edited:

Mavnn

First Post
{ooc: Ermm... Ranger Rick - you do realise Adam is standing right next to a flaming, very alive, manticore who is trying to rip his guts out? I should have made it clearer, but the rifle shot didn't kill the beast by a long way...

As an aside, your character is well away that most of the combat troops on this mission do have live experience - if Adam wants to insult them that's fine, but I just thought I'd make sure you were insulting them on purpose rather than by accident ;)}

Bobitron

Explorer
Timo, his face a cold, emotionless mask, moves away backwards from the beast and once again fires his rifle.

ooc: Stay within Point Blank, but put some distance between me and the manticore. Fire away until it's dead.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads