Firefly Reconsidered: Why Firefly Isn't "Hall of Fame" Great

Stalker0

Legend
I think that much of the point that they are at least as much about luck as they are skill.
I think we could argue that about a lot of great works. How much of the artwork is the artist's skill, and how much was the right inspiration at the right time?

The great sports game where one player was a little bit injured....or whose body was just completely in gear.

The writer who was poised to finish their greatest series....only to die too early.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter why and how a work got to where it is....only how good it is. And unfortunately shows with no ending or bad endings are always going to compare less favorably to a show that managed to maintain quality throughout its run.

Stalker0

Legend
I think that much of the point that they are at least as much about luck as they are skill.
I think we could argue that about a lot of great works. How much of the artwork is the artist's skill, and how much was the right inspiration at the right time?

The great sports game where one player was a little bit injured....or whose body was just completely in gear.

The writer who was poised to finish their greatest series....only to die too early.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter why and how a work got to where it is....only how good it is. And unfortunately shows with no ending or bad endings are always going to compare less favorably to a show that managed to maintain quality throughout its run.

I don't think there's anything wrong with laying down some breadcrumbs for a longer-scale plot, or even with just throwing them out there without having yet thought through how or if you'll make use of them.
For what it's worth, I was in that (apparent) minority that preferred the conspiracy episodes over the monsters of the week. I still loved some of the latter, but the ones that really stuck with me were part of the former. Scully's sister getting shot in the dark flipped a switch in my brain that never quite flipped back.

EDIT: Things are a bit glitchy right now, but I meant for this to be a reply to the post MarkB was replying to, which read:

ehren37 said:
Yeah, the Monster of the Week X-Files episodes are by far what people liked/remembered. Clyde Buckman's Final Repose is better than the entire dull meta plot combined. It's a lesson many game masters could learn from... let adventures stand alone in a longer campaign.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads